• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Ignore this User" Feature

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Some boards have an ability for a poster to block another poster's writings. This feature is handy, as it lets one ignore the trolls, grudge-holders, and tag-alongs.

Is that a selectable option for the forum administrator? Sure would be nice to have.

UtahRSO

imported post

I haven't seen that feature on this forum. If there were, I'd use it on a few, those whonitpick and argue just to rile people up, anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.
So you'd simply ignore people you disagree with, head in the sand.

Real good idea there, wouldn't want any opposing viewpoints.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
UtahRSO wrote:
anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.
So you'd simply ignore people you disagree with, head in the sand.

Real good idea there, wouldn't want any opposing viewpoints.
Or you ignore the people who are just idiots. It's not like there aren't some on this forum. Or trolls. Or you get the idea. Or in this case, loudmouths who must insist on challenging people who think outside your narrowly defined box.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

Are you saying he should be put on ignore for thinking in a tiny box?

david.ross

imported post

Duce,

I believe ignoring people who blatantly attack others for their beliefs is what makes the ignore feature useful. There is a specific person on this forum who likes to make such attacks.

To OP,

Ignore would be a nice feature, I agree. While I can't believe the mywowbb programmers would make such a feature instantly, there is no reason why a user can't make it themselves.

Anyone want to gease up their hands and make a greasemonkey script to "ignore users"?

derf

imported post

That would be great, especially if you could track who is being blocked. It could help weed out unwanted posters.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

"Ignore Feature"

WOW! this entire website is about standing up for your rights keeping and forwardinour ability to defend ourselves. And we want an ignore feature?:shock:

I am glad I am not the only person that sees how contradictive that feature would be to this fourm. Now if this ignore feature only worked to block PM's I would have no problem with it. By activating an "Ignore" feature in general threads would only keep you out of what is actualy going on. And what hapens when soneone quotes the poster you chose to ignore? it would defeat the purpose and make some parts of the thread difficult to understand.

Even if someone says nothing but complete crap 99% of the time, there is also that 1% chance that they may state something that is truly great. And you may just miss it!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

derf wrote:
That would be great, especially if you could track who is being blocked. It could help weed out unwanted posters.

Maybe society as a whole could take a lesson from this, if you don;t want to hear what someone has to say, use the "Ignore" feature.

Isn't that how this country as a whole got to where we are today? The politicians we put in office to be our mouthpiece to the rest of the country have obviously used their "Ignore" feature to push their personal agenda instead of representing the people that elected them!

david.ross

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Even if someone says nothing but complete crap 99% of the time, there is also that 1% chance that they may state something that is truly great. And you may just miss it!
This roo is putting his 10" tall boot down.

There is no reason for people to misbehave in a severe ill fashion. i.e. Making sexual comments about a person on a public forum, whether true or false.

If people want to be listened to, they need to act like an adult. Do you think people listen to childish workers in business? What makes you think the general public wants to listen to such individuals?

derf

imported post

There is no reason for people to misbehave in a severe ill fashion. i.e. Making sexual comments about a person on a public forum, whether true or false. If people want to be listened to, they need to act like an adult. Do you think people listen to childish workers in business? What makes you think the general public wants to listen to such individuals?
Yes, it is often not worth sifting through rhetoric and diatribes to extract the small amount of useful info that might be buried somewhere inside.
Some forums have a "rep" feature that let people rate others' posts. If you see someone with a high negative "rep" you know they are full of bull.

bugly

imported post

Another forum I am on has a feature that allows users to "rate" the other users. It allows you to either "exalt" or "smite" a user. the forum administrator has final say as to whether it is permanent. This way, you can see whether a user is malicious or beneficial to the board. The rank goes right under his avatar and cannot be removed at user level.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
"Ignore Feature"

WOW! this entire website is about standing up for your rights keeping and forwardinour ability to defend ourselves. And we want an ignore feature?:shock:
Absolutely. Mike doesn't like to see any posters receive a drubbing, and there are some trolls just begging for a whoopin' by posting some absolute rubbish. It's best to take care of Mike and not napalm the board, so we banish them across Styx, and we forget they ever existed.

Anything of worth won't come from these folks, anyway.

derf

imported post

bugly wrote:
Another forum I am on has a feature that allows users to "rate" the other users. It allows you to either "exalt" or "smite" a user. the forum administrator has final say as to whether it is permanent. This way, you can see whether a user is malicious or beneficial to the board. The rank goes right under his avatar and cannot be removed at user level.
Yes, that is the same thing as the "rep" thing I mentioned.