• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The sissification of America

PavePusher

imported post

MichaelWDeanwrote: "beveling in yourself"

Oooooo, that's just got to be painful....:lol:

"Read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Farnham's Freehold" by Robert Heinlein. "

Also, "Starship Troopers", "Citizen of the Galaxy" or "Space Cadet".... Heck anything the man ever wrote.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
From my own place in the midst of this pussified (no use mincing words) generation, I can see that young people are rebelling against it of their own accord.  The vast majority can see through the crap. 

MichaelWDean replies:

I disagree. Not to sound like Grandpa Simpson, but we're in more trouble today than ever. Most young people today are far more into bling than liberty. They can name all the judges on American Idol but not a single judge on the Supreme Court. They mostly all have a desire to yell "My voice counts!" but have very little to say, other than "I gots to get paid" and "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM, M*THERF&CKER?!"

There may be some truth to this, but you're talking about MTV, not anybody I know.

Not like I'm a good example for any generalizations.

Edit: No more bold, please.

Further edit: John Stossel FTW.

Edit again: Heinlein FTW also.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A book that deals with much of the above: "A Nation Of Victims: The Decay of the American Culture" by Charles Sykes. The book is a bit over-blown, and the logic he uses to arrive at some conclusions is suspect or downright invalid, but this book will make you think about how far we've gone in turning young people in to entitled, ignorant, lazy, self-absorbed whiners who expect the government to solve all their problems and make everything easy in life.

There is no way we can take on the various forms of decay in this land and still have time to live our lives. Perhaps gun ownership and use is our short cut to keeping ourselves and our families safe, all the while realizing we can't change the culture of criminality out there.

I think the most important push would be to change the way the schools teach and what they teach. If I had it to do over again, I would be more active in those things at at the local and state level. One couple did that many years ago. Their daughter said she was studying Lincoln and the civil war, but by reading the text in the book and comparing it to Lincoln's actual document as pictured in the book, she found that the editor had omitted the words "under God". The parents were so incensed that they undertook legal action, and eventually started a text-proofing service, which then grew tremendously in the following years. For decades, that organization was the one most schools went to to get the most reliable texts. Who knows what garbage is being fed to young kids these days?

marine77

imported post

Dutch Uncle

There is no way we can take on the various forms of decay in this land and still have time to live our lives. Perhaps gun ownership and use is our short cut to keeping ourselves and our families safe, all the while realizing we can't change the culture of criminality out there.

This is how i think about it. As long as i can keep my family safe and living freely,

then i would do more. It's a big up hill battle with the way things are, so sometimes

that's all you can do, is just keep your family safe.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Youth Today , 450 B.C. , Socrates

" Our youth love luxury . They have bad manners and contempt for authority . They show disrespect for their elders and love idle chatter in place of exercice . Children are now tyrants not the servants of the household . They contradict their parents , chatter before company , gobble up their food , and tyrannize their teachers . "

Youth Today , 2009 A.D. , R a Z o R

" Drug the parents and teachers , leave the children alone . "

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
A book that deals with much of the above: "A Nation Of Victims: The Decay of the American Culture" by Charles Sykes. The book is a bit over-blown, and the logic he uses to arrive at some conclusions is suspect or downright invalid, but this book will make you think about how far we've gone in turning young people in to entitled, ignorant, lazy, self-absorbed whiners who expect the government to solve all their problems and make everything easy in life.
Is it not the parents that are teaching their kids this stuff? How many times do we here adults claim that they are working hard to make life better/easier for their kids?

Why should we make life easier for our children? Was life all that difficult for us when we were growing up? Did we not learn valuable lessons during hardships? Did we not learn the value of hard work and perseverance? How the heck will our children ever learn these things if they are not exposed to the same experiences? How will they learn that they are NOT entitlted to have everything they want, but rather are entitled to WORK to earn those things, if we hand it all to them?

I think our society has been decaying ever since manditory public education system was contrived. Read the following essay linked below.

http://mises.org/story/1406

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marine77 wrote:

This is how i think about it. As long as i can keep my family safe and living freely,

then i would do more. It's a big up hill battle with the way things are, so sometimes

that's all you can do, is just keep your family safe.
I suspect you are right. For most of us, just doing the best we can for our families and those closest to us is pretty much a full time job. There is only so much time and energy we can spare to change the way of the world, and if we do too much of that, we end up neglecting our families and their needs. Perhaps the most important thing is to raise our kids right and hope they can carry on the traditions we consider important enough to hand down to them.

Happy Father's Day to all you guys out there who are doing the best you can. Keep up the good work. It matters.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I think our society has been decaying ever since manditory public education system was contrived. Read the following essay linked below.

http://mises.org/story/1406
A Mises reader, how refreshing.

You are exactly correct. Forced socialization and standardized education has made idiots of those so subjected.
I think it eventually oblitorates societies self-motivation, which is needed for there to be any progress in productivity, which in turn is needed for a strong economy.

Alexcabbie

imported post

People have developed an alarming tendency to relegate responsibility for their own selves to - well, somebody else. I see this every weekend night and especially on nights known as "drinking holidays" (New Year's Eve, St.Pats, Independence Day, etc). More and more the attitude especially among "20-somethings" is that they work hard and these nights are nights when they can just throw responsibility to the wind, get pig-faced blind drunk, and some combination of bartenders, bus drivers and cabbies will be responsible for getting them home safely AND putting up with all the attitude they care to give out. In fact I have stopped working those nights because I will not put up with this nonsense. In more than one case a person has fallen asleep in the cab before giving me a specific destination. When they didn't wake up to a verbal stimulus, I drove them right to the Public Safety Center, where they were promptly awakend by Sheriff's deputies and given a place to safely sleep it off. (I am not going to shake a drunk awake. They can become very combative!)

This is very evident on these nights, but even more so when they expect the Government to tend to them when they are sick, broke, or have any widdo boo-boo that needs kissing. A lot of us Baby Boomers were spoiled rotten, and we raised even more spoiled kids. These are the natural prey of those who hold out more and bigger, more pervasive government as a solution to all their ills.

MichaelWDean

imported post

I was once in the E.R. on Thanksgiving. Cut my hand while helping prepare a turkey.

I came in about 2 PM, thinking I'd be there all night, but it was empty. They saw me immediately. I mentioned that to the doc.

He laughed and said "It's like this every Thanksgiving. Completely empty until around dinner time, then we're inundated with drunk people who have blunt-force trauma to the head."

I guess the equation is "extended family who should not meet even once a year + waaaaay to much alcohol = not good things."

I told this story to a friend, a minister. He said, "Yup. Last Christmas I had to wrestle an ax out of my wife's sister's hand. She was literally trying to kill a teenage cousin because she thought he stole a CD from her living room. We found the CD later, it had fallen behind the stereo."

Alexcabbie

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
I was once in the E.R. on Thanksgiving. Cut my hand while helping prepare a turkey.

I came in about 2 PM, thinking I'd be there all night, but it was empty. They saw me immediately. I mentioned that to the doc.

He laughed and said "It's like this every Thanksgiving. Completely empty until around dinner time, then we're inundated with drunk people who have blunt-force trauma to the head."

I guess the equation is "extended family who should not meet even once a year + waaaaay to much alcohol = not good things."

I told this story to a friend, a minister. He said, "Yup. Last Christmas I had to wrestle an ax out of my wife's sister's hand. She was literally trying to kill a teenage cousin because she thought he stole a CD from her living room. We found the CD later, it had fallen behind the stereo."
Where are manners these days? If you are going to borrow something, shouldn't you "ax" first?:celebrate(sorry, I just couldn't pass up such a great straight line)

Overtaxed

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
MichaelWDean wrote:

Where are manners these days? If you are going to borrow something, shouldn't you "ax" first?:celebrate (sorry, I just couldn't pass up such a great straight line)
If you "ax" something of someone, make sure to be "pacific" about what you want.