• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meijer no longer OC friendly.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can't go too much into detail on this in case further legal action occurs. I was shopping with my 6 yr old daughter when this happened. My firearm was returned and I was allowed to leave without any charges. I was able to digitally record about half of the encounter, but unfortunately all the good statements by the officers were made before tape was rolling. Needless to say, Meijer will not be getting any more of my money until they straighten out their branches on their policies. I need a good, gun friendly attorney in the Saint Clair county area, any suggestions?

Michigander

imported post

IMMEDIATELY FOIA the entire encounter. It is likely that they audio recorded the incident, although some departments erase recordings as soon as 2 weeks after they are recorded.

Also, if it was on Meijer's property, they almost definitely also have video of it as well, but they might erase even faster than the police. Asking if they have footage should be your very first concern.

As far as attorneys, Dean Greenblat is the best one in this area that I know of. He's representing theszerdi, and I can personally assure you that he's extremely competent with gun laws, and friendly towards OCers, although he isnt' interested in OCing himself. His number is posted in the info thread, and here it is again for convenience. 248 644 7520

Michigander

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
thanks michigander. and it would seem we need to have an OC picnic in Marysville
If I were going to organize it, I would instead do a litter clean up, followed by taking pictures with the trash and maybe a banner in front of the police department.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
I realize you can't discuss details....but what balls by the police to sneak up and disarm you!!!!
yes, it is a ballsy move to sneak up on someone with a gun. i wonder if that's how they are trained or if they need some remedial training. and yes, it's always best not to discuss specifics online until everything is in the clear.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BTW, it's interesting to note that i was sarcastically asked if i was in the Michigan militia or if i was "wolverine". i'm not in the militia... but maybe they read the report on the people who like guns and vote for third party candidates.:dude:

FatboyCykes

imported post

BTW, it's interesting to note that i was sarcastically asked if i was in the Michigan militia or if i was "wolverine". i'm not in the militia... but maybe they read the report on the people who like guns and vote for third party candidates.:dude:
Disgusting.

Michigander

imported post

Constitutionally speaking, and according to federal law, you are part of the unorganized militia. That is a fact. But so is the smart ass who asked you that question. ;)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

office888 wrote:
Just curious, what type of holster were you using?

-Richard-
an uncle mike's kydex paddle holster. even without a serpa style release, it took him a few tugs to get it loose. i'm not a fan of having to use a button to draw my gun and this holster is a good compromise.

CoonDog

imported post

Sorry this happened to you. Especially in front of your daughter. I have a 7 year old and I imagine this would be difficult to explain. It's too bad for our youngsters when the police represent improper behavior toward law-abiding citizens. How is she supposed to witness what happened to her daddy and still develop a trust for law enforcement? Sorry kids, even the nice policeman can screw up.

It can be expensive to pursue legal action, but it's worth investigating your options. Please have a look at the list of attorney's on the MIOCDO website:

http://miopencarry.org/page.php?Attorneys

At a minimum, I know that Jim Simmons claims to give a free phone consultation.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

office888 wrote:
Just curious, what type of holster were you using?

-Richard-
an uncle mike's kydex paddle holster. even without a serpa style release, it took him a few tugs to get it loose. i'm not a fan of having to use a button to draw my gun and this holster is a good compromise.
I'm sorry but my first instinct if that were to happen to me is to knock his friggin teeth out with my elbow and take him down, and I would have every right. Don't think it would be going over to well for me if I was sneaked up on and disarmed in public. Since they are behind you you have no idea who it is and they have no right to do this to anyone especially without announcing them self as a police officer.

Michigander

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
http://miopencarry.org/page.php?Attorneys

At a minimum, I know that Jim Simmons claims to give a free phone consultation.
Dean really needs to be on that list. :shock:

He's representing theszerdi in Detroit for a case of ammo, saying words to the extent of he wanted to be known as the gun guy's lawyer, and that he's a civil libertarian. I don't know what his rates would be for other cases, but he's a very very pro gun guy who has been very friendly to our cause. He too is happy to give people pointers if they call him up. He told my CPL class to call him with any legal questions.

Jim Simmons however has been said to be opposed to OCing, and definitely wouldn't have represented thezerdi for a case of ammo.

Michigander

imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
I'm sorry but my first instinct if that were to happen to me is to knock his friggin teeth out with my elbow and take him down, and I would have every right.

While you are right, and in fact in a surprise disarming situation killing the officer might have been justified, it's exactly the opposite from the appropriate thing to do if you know you're dealing with a cop. If we ever gained a reputation for being willing to fight it out with the police, the media would destroy us, and open carry could easily be banned at the state level resulting from a public outcry.

Unless you are truly in fear of being killed or seriously injured, there is NO reason to resist a cop. The law is already on our side. If a cop abuses someone seriously for open carrying, later court cases can easily result in 6 figures being paid out, the cop losing his or her job, and a shockwave of law enforcement officers being properly educated. All of this with us getting fairly positive attention if we act politely and professionally the whole time.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Smoothsounds21 wrote:
I'm sorry but my first instinct if that were to happen to me is to knock his friggin teeth out with my elbow and take him down, and I would have every right.

While you are right, and in fact in a surprise disarming situation killing the officer might have been justified, it's exactly the opposite from the appropriate thing to do if you know you're dealing with a cop. If we ever gained a reputation for being willing to fight it out with the police, the media would destroy us, and open carry could easily be banned at the state level resulting from a public outcry.

Unless you are truly in fear of being killed or seriously injured, there is NO reason to resist a cop. The law is already on our side. If a cop abuses someone seriously for open carrying, later court cases can easily result in 6 figures being paid out, the cop losing his or her job, and a shockwave of law enforcement officers being properly educated. All of this with us getting fairly positive attention if we act politely and professionally the whole time.
By all means if you were to know its a cop, put your hands where they can see them and don't resist. But disarming someone from behind is one of the stupidest thing anyone can do.