• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Albuquerque Shooting

Trainer23

imported post

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S988423.shtml?cat=500

1 dead in restaurant shooting Police are searching for several suspects after a robbery that resulted in a fatal shooting of an Albuquerque restaurant employee.

Albuquerque police say that "multiple" gunmen stormed the Denny's restaurant near Interstate 40 and Coors in northwest Albuquerque at around 9:30 Saturday morning. While robbing the restaurant, a female employee was shot and killed.

Two people are being detained, but APD spokeswoman Nadine Hamby said it is unclear if they are suspects. A police tactical teamis conducting surveillance ona northwest Albuquerque home in the area of 98th and Centralwith other possible suspects inside.

As many as 100 people were inside the restaurant at the time of the shooting. APD detectives are interviewing around 60 of those witnesses. Witnesses were reporting seeing two to six armed suspects inside the restaurant.

Hamby told Eyewitness News 4 on Saturday, "There's at least 60 witnesses inside the restaurant right now and there's about another 20 to 30 that are outside, we're going to have to talk to each one of those people and they're basically our eyes and our ears to tell us exactly what happened and what they saw."

The identity of the victim has not been released.

Counselors will be available to the patrons and employees of the restaurant, police say.

"What they went through is a terrible tragedy, whether they didn't see anything or maybe they heard something, its something that's pretty serious and we want to make sure that they're not traumatized by this and that they're getting the help," Hamby said.

snoball

imported post

My daughter and I were eating at that Denny's 24 hours earlier....I was only carrying my Ruger LCP .380. Maybe it is time to go back to the Glock .45! Four armed robbers in broad daylight in a crowded restaurant is pretty bold! Hope they have a good description on the people and car. They will be captured and hopefully put away for good.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Was that the Dennys Diner on Coors and Illif across (diagonally) from the Comfort Inn (where my sister used to work until VERY recently)?

100customers in the place and no one was armed? If one was, they didn't act, but I guess the criminals expected as much. It could have been a real massacre if those four had decided to shoot everyone (like at the Lubys in Killeen, TX... or that bowling place in Las Cruces years ago (and STILLunsolved). Four of them could have done that pretty quickly.

AND, it's another exampleof an employer not allowing employees to carry, yet failing to provde their employees protection. I hope the dead employee's family SUES Dennys big time! Stop letting businesses and schoolsget off scott-free as they have been for decades.

We need NM OCers to frequent the Dennys and other coffee-shop type restuarants there such asIHOPsand Village Inns, not just in ABQ or Rio Rancho but in every NM city that has one (I know *I* do down here). If the guys aren't caught, I'd expect them to do this again at another Dennys/IHOP/Village Inn soon.

As for "being put away for good," please, stop believing in fantasies: Criminals areHARDLY EVER "put away for good" -- no matter WHAT they did -- and will be back out on the street in no time, IF they are caught that is.

The only way they WILL be "put away for good" is when an armed citizen(s) shoots them all dead. That's the only REAL "justice" a criminal ever sees as they certainly do NOT see any within the (misnamed) "criminal justice system."

-- John D.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Unfortunately... this is all too common in the populated cities. I'm surprised nobody in that place was armed... or madeany effort. The 'urban' types seem not to go armed. I dunno what that's about. I agree employees should be heeled if they so desire. 'Somethin' about cities tho... people wander in 'condition white' all the time. In denial or whatever. They're just not aware or prepared or interested in being proactive in their own defense. I do hope the perps are caught. Beyond that... You just have to hope the prosecution and judges do the right thing.

snoball

imported post

Yes it was the Dennys at Iliff and Coors just south of I-40.

I was obviously pissed when our liberal governor stopped the death penalty this year. You are correct that stopping them cold in the act is the best way. A whole lot cheaper and sure.

Trainer23

imported post

So here is the question.

Imagine that you were in Denny's at the time, OC or CC. You were sitting at a table facing the entrance. Your wife is eating an omelet sitting across form you.

All else is as reported. (refer to article)The 4 BGs enter start shooting and two rush into the back. You hear another shot in back.

What would you have done and when would you have done it?

Police Hunt Suspects After Fatal Shooting at New Mexico Denny's
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.Sunday , June 21, 2009

Police on Sunday were searching for at least two more suspects they believe killed a teenage worker during a robbery at a packed Denny's and committed 10 more armed robberies in Albuquerque this past year.

Two suspects were arrested within minutes of the crime Saturday on suspicion of murder, kidnapping, robbery and child abuse because there were at least five children in the restaurant, Albuquerque Police Officer Nadine Hamby said.

Hamby said the men who were arrested are in their late 20s to early 30s and are from South America, but she did not know where specifically. She said police were working with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to verify the men's identities.

Hamby said at least four masked men with rifles and handguns rushed into the northwest Albuquerque Denny's around 9:30 a.m. Saturday and demanded money.

A teenage female employee was fatally shot during the robbery. Police have not yet identified her.

One restaurant employee told police a manager was forced to open the cash register and the robbers took an undetermined amount of cash.

Hamby said police believe the men committed 10 similar robberies in the Albuquerque area in the past year, but no one was shot in those incidents. She would not provide further details.

She said about 35 detectives, who were in the area as part of a special operation targeting robberies, responded to the restaurant and found two of the suspects quickly.

Hamby said police were trying to help the roughly 100 people who were in the restaurant at the time get any emotional or psychological help they may need.

"They've been through a traumatic experience," she said.

Witnesses described the scene inside the restaurant as chaotic, with people getting down on the floor when they heard a bang.

[suP]"Four masked men came in with guns," customer Brian Thompson told KRQE News in Albuquerque. "Two went toward the back. That's all we could see because we all hit the ground."
[/suP]

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Trainer23 wrote:
So here is the question.

Imagine that you were in Denny's at the time, OC or CC. You were sitting at a table facing the entrance. Your wife is eating an omelet sitting across form you.

All else is as reported. (refer to article)The 4 BGs enter start shooting and two rush into the back. You hear another shot in back.

Tactically... Not much anyone could do. They had the numbers, firepower, the element of surprise and they obviously didn't mind killing. Gunplayamong all those people would be a stupid idea.

Nitrox314

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Trainer23 wrote:
So here is the question.

Tactically... Not much anyone could do. They had the numbers, firepower, the element of surprise and they obviously didn't mind killing. Gunplayamong all those people would be a stupid idea.
After the gunshot in the back... I would be wondering if it was another warning shot or somebody being shot. Unfortunately a position by the front would not give you the info on this point. If I were in the position, and I heard a shot in the back, and knew someone was shot, my life is already forfeit in my mind. Two guys by themselves would be easier especially from your low position (I am assuming under a table) since the innocents will be on the ground. Not to mention I was trained by the Marine Corps, they were taught by whom?

As far as the real situation, after the second shot they booked it out the door. I would not have done anything without knowing someone's life was in danger.

How long? How long until the citizens take law into their own hands? Vigilante Justice comes when those who are supposed to protect do not do their jobs. Crime is ridiculous here. The Mayor does nothing about it. The police are not fast enough... Someone really needs to form a task force to "take care" of the gang's. I would say a .308 in the back of the skull from about 800 yds....

I think waterboarding is in order for the two caught... time to find the last two.

Jizzzle

imported post

i think in a situation like this in which you hear a shot it's game on.

but, thats just a personal opinion. i would have a hard time sitting there watching.

and im sure there are many more factors in play than those posted hereor in the news.

But personally, I wouldshoot both of the guys i could see as effectivley as possible and wait for the others to come out the door to the kitchen. which would most likely happen. hopefully keeping the element of suprise and then stopping the next 2.

like i said. there is more in play, and thats a super simple scenario that i just gave an example of. i just couldn't sit there and let it happen.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Illegal discharge of a weapon inside city limits, reckless endangerment.
As the two you can see are legally the same as the shooter in the back,
there is no doubt they are endangering me.

Besides the police say that as an OC'r I am the first to be targeted
by the bad guy, so I need to take action for my own safety.

I always listen to the officers.:what: At least until they tell me that bad guys
only target OC'rs during the first couple seconds of an invasion.

But it would depend on what guns they have as to what one to use.
After all you want the goons in the back to think that their buddies out front
had to pop a couple extra rounds off the keep sheep in line.
Can't be popping off with the .45 if you need to imitate a 9mm for tactical reasons.

In CA I guess that you would need to load your gun at this point. :?

MedicOni

imported post

I heard from one of the medics with bus that that was not a pretty scene. I wish there had been someone carrying there, or off duty PD (I know they like to go to that Denny's after shift)

BCLS

imported post

I heard from my friend that went to eat there that morning that 1 of the armed men slipped and fell and when that happened the girl that got shot laughed at him and that is why he shot her. I don't know for sure that this is true, just what I was told. I always oc now where ever I go where permitted that is. I would like to say that I would have done something but that would just be words. Anybody can say something but to really do it is another story.

Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed.
gunsmilie.gif

PROGUN (Peaceful Responsible Owner of Guns)