Thread: A few OC stops in Madison

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Headed to the parents' in Darien, WI to see my dad for Father's Day, and made a few stops going and coming back. First, I stopped at Walgreens on my way there, to get a card. I noticed a man using the photo booth computer stared a bit, rather unsure what to make of what was on my hip, but eventually just went back to what he was doing. My fiancee came with me, and this was her first time with me while I OC'd, as well. We've had to talk over this a couple of times, as she was rather afraid of what might happen. She wasn't scared of my open carrying, but more of what trouble a typical Madison moonbat might bring upon us if they were to freak out. After the Walgreens visit, she seemed more comfortable with the concept.

Had the day with my folks, which progressed nicely. Left in the middle of the afternoon, and got back to Madison around 3. First stop, Animart. I needed to pick up a smaller, portable cage to house my parakeets at the fiancee's parents when we take a trip in a few weeks. While there, I talked to three of the people working there for various reasons, and if any of them noticed the firearm, it didn't even faze them. My gal did say she saw a customer do a double take, like he had originally thought it was a cell phone, but just acted surprised and kept walking.

Last stop before home, Metcalfe's Sentry. Again, uneventful for the most part. Some customers did gawk, but it was fairly busy. We were checked out by a kid who looked maybe 16-17, courteous. As I was helping bag, he said he had to ask "How come you get to carry a gun?" I laughed and told him if he's of age, and not a felon, he can do it just as easily. I told him no permit was needed, and was going to tell him the basic rules of carrying. However, since he was busy, I suggested he call the Madison PD and ask them when he gets a chance. I've called a couple of the precincts around here about the issue, and the officers I talked to were very congenial and friendly about the matter.

This is really only my second time OCing, and walking into each store, I still felt some apprehension. Like my fiancee, I'm not thrilled at the idea of a Trotskyite pitching a fit and possibly trying to goad me into a confrontation. However, I really like Madison, for all its flaws. If I can help make people more used to the sight, or, indirectly, make the idea of CC more popular, I'm up for the challenge.

Post imported post

Good job
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Nicely done Madison.

Welcome to the free exercise of your rights. Yes, there may be some who try to "goat" you. Just remember, you are in the right and be polite. The more they scream, the nicer we have to be.

Every time we carry, we help educate. Like I told logan the other night:

When I was asked if I was a police officer, I responded, "No, I am one of several hundred volunteers around the state working to educate the public about open carry."

Glad to see we have another educator out there.

Carry on!

Post imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
    I'm not thrilled at the idea of a Trotskyite pitching a fit...
    "Trotskyite" ...if only they were really were that politically moderate here.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    MadisonRebel wrote:
    I'm not thrilled at the idea of a Trotskyite pitching a fit...
    "Trotskyite" ...if only they were really were that politically moderate here.

Hey, Milwaukee is not any easier. I carry a small law office in my back pocket now a days... This will pass.

Sounds like it is going in the right direction.

Good job!

Centurion

Post imported post

This is really only my second time OCing, and walking into each store, I still felt some apprehension.
    The apprehension goes away after a few more times. I'd say after 4 or 5 times was when I got to a point of not feeling at all nervous and not having any expectation of an "incident" (police being called or something)

Well done