• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSU allows CPL holders on campus.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MSU the first to cave. Let's hope U of M and Wayne state are next. This is great news for gun rights. I heard this on NPR and I yelled yeah!

Michigan State approves exception to weapons ban
Associated Press

9:33 AM CDT, June 20, 2009
Michigan State University has approved an exception to its campus weapons ban allowing people with permits to carry concealed weapons to walk or drive through campus with a gun.

The Detroit Free Press reports the East Lansing university's governing board voted 7-1 Friday to make the exception and avoid a conflict with state law. Guns still are banned inside campus buildings and sports stadiums.

The issue was raised by campus police who had to issue citations to people with guns during traffic stops regardless whether they had a permit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-michiganst-concea,0,69195.story

Michigander

imported post

Maybe I'm just bitter and hard to please, but I'm not going to be impressed until they allow OC by CPL holders anywhere on their property.

tygereye

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Maybe I'm just bitter and hard to please, but I'm not going to be impressed until they allow OC by CPL holders anywhere on their property.
True, but, it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it won't be long...

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:

Well I plan to OC there with a CPL. They don't say you can't OC. Perhaps I'll have to research the actual ordinance. BTW the article states that no carrying in buildings,but if they are following state law that shouldmean dorms and classrooms only.

Without a CPL college campuses are not on the banned places. All depends on the wording of the ordinance. We have to wait and see.

Venator

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Here is the Detroit Freepress article that the Chicago article came from. More details here..

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009906200425
People who have permits to carry concealed weapons may now walk or drive through Michigan's largest university campus without fear of running afoul of a campus-wide weapons ban. May allow non CPL holders to OC????

Michigan State University trustees voted 7-1 on Friday to make that exception to avoid a conflict with state law.

That's not to say MSU students or anyone else can take a sidearm into the biology lab or a fall football game. State law bans weapons in buildings and those with weapons must stay outside, President Lou Anna K. Simon said.

Not true, so it sounds like they are following state law, which allows then in buildings, just not dorms, classrooms.

The issue was raised by campus police who had to issue citations to people with guns during traffic stops, even if those drivers had permits to carry a concealed weapon.

The University of Michigan continues to ban guns on campus.

MSU says it must allow guns on campus
The simple version is that it was an issue of weapons on a college campus.

But Michigan State University authorities said Friday that they were forced to change a campus-wide ban to clear up a legal gray area and reassert the university's constitutional authority.

Trustees withdrew a ban on guns for people driving or walking through who have a state permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Authorities said the change did not represent a shift in principals -- guns still are banned altogether from inside campus buildings (Not true) and sports stadiums -- it was instituted to avoid a showdown over whether state law trumped a university's autonomy.

"This is probably not the issue we want to fall on our sword on," said Trustee Colleen McNamara. She added that her lone dissension in the 7-1 vote was more symbolic than outright opposition.

Even for permit holders, state law bans weapons from such places as an entertainment facility that seats 2,500 or more, a college dormitory or classroom and any university sports arena or stadium. Here they get it right.

Ever controversial, the debate over weapons on campus has been especially heated since the deadly shooting rampages at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Northern Illinois University in 2008. Some argue that arming law-abiding students and faculty can mitigate threats; others counter that more weapons will lead to more violence.

All of Michigan's university campuses have weapons bans, according to the Presidents Council, State Universities of Michigan. A random sampling Friday found the bans vary slightly.

At the University of Michigan's three campuses, it doesn't matter if someone has a state permit to carry a weapon, anyone found with one could get up to 60 days in jail, said Diane Brown, spokeswoman for U-M police. (We'll see, a day in court may change their minds.) Eastern Michigan University has a total ban on guns, too.

While Wayne State University bans weapons, violators face an administrative disciplinary hearing rather than criminal prosecution under state law. Police will order those with guns to leave campus. (Good to know)

At Northern Michigan University and at Michigan Tech, where many students are hunters, campus police allow permit-holders to bring guns to school -- but only if they register and store them in designated areas.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
At the University of Michigan's three campuses, it doesn't matter if someone has a state permit to carry a weapon, anyone found with one could get up to 60 days in jail, said Diane Brown, spokeswoman for U-M police.
24.gif

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Utah allows for permitted open or concealed carry in all 10 of our college campuses. :p

...er, uh, I mean... Great job guys! :celebrate This is a great start!

Venator

imported post

Mike wrote:
We are still tracking Michigan as not banning open carry on campas and in buildings unless somebody has other info, see college carry map.
MSU is the only one so far. There is some state constitutional issue that U of M, MSU and Wayne state has certain rights no bestowed on other public colleges. So having MSU change there policy may catalyze a change in the others. But until then, the rest ban firearms.

burgundyyears

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
At the University of Michigan's three campuses, it doesn't matter if someone has a state permit to carry a weapon, anyone found with one could get up to 60 days in jail, said Diane Brown, spokeswoman for U-M police.
24.gif
"Next, Ms. Brown showed us the rock behind her desk that she uses to ward tigers off the UofM campus."

EM87

imported post

Venator wrote:

Wait... that isn't true, is it? They have no legal authority as a University. All they can do is ask you to leave. Right?

Venator

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Venator wrote:

Wait... that isn't true, is it? They have no legal authority as a University. All they can do is ask you to leave. Right?
That is not my quote, that is from the article.

But it is true U of M has an ordinance and can enforce it. There is some question as to whether they have that right. since they have special powers provided by the state constitution thay can enact laws and a college is not defined as a municipality under the preemption statut. It has yet to be challengedin court.

MSU has decide not to test the law and has sided with state law.