• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSU allows CPL holders on campus.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

EM87 wrote:
Venator wrote:
At the University of Michigan's three campuses, it doesn't matter if someone has a state permit to carry a weapon, anyone found with one could get up to 60 days in jail, said Diane Brown, spokeswoman for U-M police.

Wait... that isn't true, is it? They have no legal authority as a University. All they can do is ask you to leave. Right?
Barring any court cases to the contrary, the U of M Police could arrest and jail you for violating their ordinance. If that did happen, you can be sure that there are a few groups out there who would be interested in fighting the ordinance in court.

I think that the outcome of any case could go either way; I don't think U of M wants to risk it. They would probably let you plea deal or may not even enforce it. Then again, they may. If you do decide to test the ordinance, please be aware you may be involved in a long legal battle.

autosurgeon

imported post

This would be a good time to OC a Hi Point:cool: Not such a great loss if they deface it... also the company would most likely fix it up like new for free esp if you told them how it came to be damaged!

I cannot afford the legal costs so I won't be the test case unfortunately.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I had a good friend that had a Highpoint. He has probably 15-20 different handguns; he bought the Highpoint on a whim.

He loves it. He thinks it is the best pistol in his arsenal and uses it as his everyday carry. He has never had any feeding problems. (I think he likes it so much because he likes to consider how much he paid for it). But, I can't argue with him. So, although the "loss" of a highpoint is affordable, the loss of any handgun is a terrible thing.

autosurgeon

imported post

I own the C9 9mm handgun and the 995 carbine they are both very reliable guns! and accurate as well! I just know if I had to be without a gun for a while to make a point I would rather it was the C9 :exclaim:

cvogtmann

imported post

With the talk about the schools with Regents or Trustees like U of M, MSU and Wayne State University having special rights. What about the school i go to, Western Michigan University. I would love for the congressman to just change that rule. A person CC'ing or OC'ing elsewhere isnt gonna do anything stupid just because they walk into class...

cvogtmann

imported post

Thanks! I was wondering where the best place in the school to ask about the gun rules would be? would it be the campus police?

p.s. This Thursday I'm going to talk with the gun board and get my CPL! so more areas for me to legally CC!

CoonDog

imported post

cvogtmann wrote:
Thanks! I was wondering where the best place in the school to ask about the gun rules would be? would it be the campus police?

p.s. This Thursday I'm going to talk with the gun board and get my CPL! so more areas for me to legally CC!
You want to see a copy of the policy in writing. Ask the department of public safety for this. The campus police may prove unreliable for this information.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CoonDog wrote:
cvogtmann wrote:

You want to see a copy of the policy in writing. Ask the department of public safety for this. The campus police may prove unreliable for this information.
It appears that OC w/out a CPL is legal too! (unless you live on campus :()
from: http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

Here's the Ordinance:

Ordinances 18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
18.04 Not applicable to police officers

18.05 Relationship to University policy
.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.
.02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.
.03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.
.04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.
.05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.
Enacted: September 15, 1964
Amended: December 11, 1987
December 10, 1994
April 14, 1995
April 12, 2002
June 19, 2009

joshuaeberly

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
CoonDog wrote:
cvogtmann wrote:

It appears that OC w/out a CPL is legal too! (unless you live on campus :()
from: http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

Here's the Ordinance:

Ordinances 18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
18.04 Not applicable to police officers

18.05 Relationship to University policy
.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.
.02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.
.03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.
.04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.
.05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.
Enacted: September 15, 1964
Amended: December 11, 1987
December 10, 1994
April 14, 1995
April 12, 2002
June 19, 2009

doggone it, that looks like nearly full compliance to me. I GOTTA TRANSFER. all students who carry, transfer. :)

so, if I'm a nonresident student, this means I just have to follow state law, right? that's how I read it.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I found that MSU will be opening a new Shooting Sports Facility this coming week. Link for News Release: http://news.msu.edu/story/6889/.

Since there wasn't much info on the website for the Demmer Center, I decided to use their website feedback form to request more info. It appears that the decision for CPL allowed at MSU may not be understood by all involved (maybe including me!).

The following is what I asked:

Questions (since they were not on the Demmer Center website):
1. What calibers of Pistol and Rifle can be used on the ballistics range?
2. How are firearms to be carried into the Demmer Center? How do you address CPL and Open Carry as permitted by MI Law?

The following is the response:

Our Standard Operating Procedures are that all firearms must be cased while transporting them in and out of the building, unless you are an officer in uniform. We are a training and education facility and our caliber is limited to .22 and .177 Olympic style air rifle and pistol. We will probably having CPL classes in the near future, stay tuned on the web site. We will be also having eagues and tournaments for differnet skill levels as well. thanks for your interest.
Michael V. Galella
http://www.demmercenter.msu.edu The Demmer Shooting Sports Education & Training Center 3365 E. Jolly Rd. Lansing, MI 48910 (517) 884-0552 tel (810) 623-0633 cell (517) 884-0401 fax galella@msu.edu

Since this information did not "jive" with what I understood, here was my email back to them:

Michael -

Thank you for your prompt feedback. The website is vague about the caliber and type of firearm can be used there. Since it is only air-rifle, any further discussion is mute. I suggest updating the website and the following article as they do not have complete info (article implies small bore rifle, not Air Rifle): http://news.msu.edu/story/6889/. I also suggest that you add the Cased Requirements to the website so that people are informed properly.

From your response, it appears that persons possessing a CPL nor Open Carrying will not be welcome to carry into the facility. This appears to be in direct conflict with the recent decision by MSU to allow CPL Holders to carry on campus. In addition, this is direct conflict with Section 18.01 MSU Board Of Trustees Ordinances (italics added):

18.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms is the key statement here. The position on "only an officer in uniform" will not stand up to scrutiny and will cause confusion for persons who may Conceal and/or Open Carry since this is not School or School Property (defined in MCL as K-12 schools only) and the range is not a Classroom (as listed in the MCL Pistol Free Zones). In addition, Open carry is legal in MI. I have provided references here below:

References:
MSU Decision: http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/06/msu_allows_people_to_carry_concealed_firearms_on_campus
MSU Board Of Trustees Ordinances: http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html
MSP Posting on Open Carry (April 2007): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_-_April_2007_198953_7.pdf
MSP Posting on Open Carry (May 2007): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_-_May_2007_198956_7.pdf

I ask you to revisit your policy statement of "only an officer in uniform".

Sincerely, Me