Thread: Is it illegal for the city of renton to ban OC in parks?

Banned

Post imported post

I was reading this thread and wondered about the city of rentons park ordinace

Authorized by Ordinance No. 4419.

Amended by Ordinance No.5155.

Amended from Ordinance No. 4319 and No. 1476.

Resolution No. 3555 adopted March 18, 2002

Resolution No. 3751 adopted May 9, 2005.

Section 3. Weapons & Fireworks

Except as otherwise permitted by law, it is unlawful for a person to possess in any

park, any fireworks, firecracker, torpedo, explosive, air gun, sword, knife, bow and

arrow(s), BB gun, paint ball gun, or slingshot. It is unlawful for any person to possess

firearms in any park except as otherwise permitted by law.

Post imported post

Absolutely that is a repealed law. Pre-emption makes this law unenforceable.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Welcome to Forum Boo Boo. I hope you got your answers from joeroket.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Welcome aboard boo-boo. You may want to read the FAQ which is stickied at the top of the page. Questions 1, and 18 address your matter.

Banned

Post imported post

so it would need to be addressed by the chief and mayor for removal from teh city ordinance?

I was thinking on writing the mayor and chief in regards to this. maybe we can draft a responce to send.

i had this as a rough draft i wonder if i should also include the parks dept head

"Dear Mr. Mayor and Chief of Police,

From what I understand Section 3 of the City of Renton’s park ordinance states

Section 3. Weapons & Fireworks

Except as otherwise permitted by law, it is unlawful for a person to possess in any

park, any fireworks, firecracker, torpedo, explosive, air gun, sword, knife, bow and

arrow(s), BB gun, paint ball gun, or slingshot. It is unlawful for any person to possess

firearms in any park except as otherwise permitted by law.

But since Washington State has preempted all firearms laws regarding possession, this ordinance is illegal and I would like it removed for the regulations. "

Post imported post

The last line tells you all you need to know. "except as otherwise permitted by law..."
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

The ordinance is NOT illegal. Parts of it are questionable. The last line makes it legal to possess your firearm because they are "otherwise permitted by law".

The rest of the ordinace is completely legal.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

bugly wrote:
    The last line tells you all you need to know. "except as otherwise permitted by law..."
    Laws don't "allow things" or "permit things", they take them away. At times, they reduce the level to which something is taken away (you might call that "allowing" something, but in reality, it's taking away less).

I would work to get that line struck. Operate under the assumption that someday the state may strike preemption - the more bans that are not in place, the better. Moreover, open carry is not "permitted by law" - it's not banned, therefore, you can do it. An overzealous officer may decide that "permitted" means "with a permit" such as a CPL.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Banned

Post imported post

best way to word it then so it can be removed from the orinance