• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it illegal for the city of renton to ban OC in parks?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

I was reading this thread and wondered about the city of rentons park ordinace

[align=left]Authorized by Ordinance No. 4419.[/align]
[align=left]Amended by Ordinance No.5155.[/align]
[align=left]Amended from Ordinance No. 4319 and No. 1476.[/align]
[align=left]Resolution No. 3555 adopted March 18, 2002[/align]
Resolution No. 3751 adopted May 9, 2005.

[align=left]Section 3. Weapons & Fireworks[/align]

[align=left]Except as otherwise permitted by law, it is unlawful for a person to possess in any[/align]
[align=left]park, any fireworks, firecracker, torpedo, explosive, air gun, sword, knife, bow and[/align]
[align=left]arrow(s), BB gun, paint ball gun, or slingshot. It is unlawful for any person to possess[/align]
firearms in any park except as otherwise permitted by law.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard boo-boo. You may want to read the FAQ which is stickied at the top of the page. Questions 1, and 18 address your matter.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

so it would need to be addressed by the chief and mayor for removal from teh city ordinance?

I was thinking on writing the mayor and chief in regards to this. maybe we can draft a responce to send.

i had this as a rough draft i wonder if i should also include the parks dept head

"Dear Mr. Mayor and Chief of Police,

From what I understand Section 3 of the City of Renton’s park ordinance states

Section 3. Weapons & Fireworks

Except as otherwise permitted by law, it is unlawful for a person to possess in any

park, any fireworks, firecracker, torpedo, explosive, air gun, sword, knife, bow and

arrow(s), BB gun, paint ball gun, or slingshot. It is unlawful for any person to possess

firearms in any park except as otherwise permitted by law.

But since Washington State has preempted all firearms laws regarding possession, this ordinance is illegal and I would like it removed for the regulations. "

j2l3

imported post

The ordinance is NOT illegal. Parts of it are questionable. The last line makes it legal to possess your firearm because they are "otherwise permitted by law".

The rest of the ordinace is completely legal.

Tawnos

imported post

bugly wrote:
The last line tells you all you need to know. "except as otherwise permitted by law..."
Laws don't "allow things" or "permit things", they take them away. At times, they reduce the level to which something is taken away (you might call that "allowing" something, but in reality, it's taking away less).

I would work to get that line struck. Operate under the assumption that someday the state may strike preemption - the more bans that are not in place, the better. Moreover, open carry is not "permitted by law" - it's not banned, therefore, you can do it. An overzealous officer may decide that "permitted" means "with a permit" such as a CPL.