• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NEW ORLEANS

VaGunTrader

imported post

Wife, son, and I will be visiting N.O. next week for a few days. We are coming from Virginia where I have a conceal carry permit and open carry is legal. What are the state and N.O. laws pertaining to having a loaded handgun in your car or open/conceal carry?

If theres a good website with all the info please point me in the right direction.

And this is our first time visiting there so if anyone has any advice on places to see or places to avoid please let me know.

THANKS !!!!!!!!

Johnny_B

imported post

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

Your permit from Virginia is covered in La :)

In LA your car is part of your "home" (from what I've been reading and understand from the forum folk :) )to an extent so carry it wherever you darn well please, on the dash (prob. not a good idea though :p), on a gun rack, in the glove box, on your side! Ms is the same way with cars :)

OCing is legal, but you may or may not get trouble in New Orleans, kindof like any other place :)

I personally love the french quarter and the antique's shops around there. If you like art you definatly should checkout the gallery of light on royal street. (I think it's called?) it's a pretty cool (but small) gallery.

CaptainDan

imported post

I carry literally every day when I'm home. All over the Quarter and have never had any kind of trouble. I have been noticed hundreds of times by LEO and never more than a glance or a nod. I must abmit though I don't know where the schools are down there and have probably carried too close at some time or another. Also I don't know the particulars of theOC rule when it comes to schools either and I know I need to. The other laws I have commited to memory chapter and verse, but I am lacking on the finer points of the school laws. Any help?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.louisianacarry.org/

The above site has links to pertinent LA gun laws, in addition to the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit handbook that was linked earlier.

Short list is: guns are technically not allowed any place where alcohol is sold for on-site consumption; HOWEVER, the concealed carry regs permit concealed carry in anyplace that is not a bar. The LSP (Louisiana State Police) say to use a rule of thumb that if minors are not allowed, then neither are guns. I would still advise not OCing in a restaurant that serves alcohol. If you plan on drinking (and many people do come to Bourbon street specifically because you can carry your drink right out onto the street), you might consider keepng the gun locked away for the evening. You will be relatively safe while unarmedif you stick to the places where there are more people and if you do not wander about alone after 2am.

Louisiana has one of those dumb 1000 foot exclusionary zones around schools, and there are 2 schools in the French Quarter, technically making most of the Quarter off-limits, but as Dan has posted, you MIGHT not get hassled (or you might, depending on the cops on duty at the time). The schools in the Quarter are located at the corner of Dauphine and Dumaine, and at the corner of St. Philip and Royal.

Stay away from the Iberville Housing Project, which is across Rampart street from the Quarter. Even the cops don't like going in there.

And if anyone bets you $5 that he can tell you where you got your shoes, just smile and say, "I got 'em on my feet!" and keep walking. This is a local street hustle.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now for the fun stuff - places to go, things to do. If your kid is fairly young, you will enjoy the Aquarium of the Americas, on the riverfront at Canal street; and many folks like the new Insectarium (this is in a Federal building, however, so no guns allowed).

You probably would enjoy the National World War II Museum, formerly known as the National D-Day Museum. It was started by Steven Ambrose, Tom Hanks, and Steven Spielberg and is quite popular. Around the corner from thatare boththe Civil War Museum and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. Note that none of these museums is in the Quarter, but are all nearby.

For some fancy eating, try Galatoire's on Bourbon Street - but you may have to wait in line; or Antoine's. Some other nice Quarter restaurants are Cafe Giovanni (Italian and American), Cafe Mesparo's (po-boys, which are similar to hoagies or submarine sandwiches), Olivier's (Creole cuisine, which is NOT Cajun, but is a local favorite), or for a place favored by locals, Coop's Place (HUGE burgers, and some local stuff like red beans or jambalaya). there are also some chain places, but if you're coming all the way to New Orleans, why go to a cookie-cutter place you could find anywhere?

Another place for kids is the Children's Museum, but it is not in the Quarter.

Here are some web sites for you:

http://www.nomcvb.comwhich is the New Orleans Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau. They have many links with suggestions for sight-seeng and restaurants.

http://www.nola.comwhich is the web site fr the Times Picayune newspaper. They have a restaurant guide and a nightlife section.

If you haven't seen anything to your interest thus far, let me know what sort of stuff you like, and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yale wrote:
XD-Gem,

Man you should be getting paid by the Chamber of Commerce. :lol:

Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home. :D(ACtually, I stole that line from Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester, III, from a MASH episode.)

Every big city has its plusses and minuses. I've had family here going back over 200 years. I WANT people to come and have a good time and then go home and tell other people what a great time they had here. New Orleans is so much more than Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street.

So, yeah, I kinda like the place.

derf

imported post

In LA your car is part of your "home" (from what I've been reading and understand from the forum folk :) )to an extent so carry it wherever you darn well please, on the dash (prob. not a good idea though :p), on a gun rack, in the glove box, on your side! Ms is the same way with cars :)

Concerning the red part quoted:
I have heard and read that many times but I don't think it is anywhere in the law. The rest of the statement is true, though. You can have a gun in your car locked and loaded.

+1 on what XD said.

I'll add a little, though. Be careful if you wander off the beaten path, especially around Bourbon Street. NO is a place where you have beautiful historical areas very close to undesirable areas for tourists.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

derf wrote:

Concerning the red part quoted:
I have heard and read that many times but I don't think it is anywhere in the law. The rest of the statement is true, though. You can have a gun in your car locked and loaded.

+1 on what XD said.

I'll add a little, though. Be careful if you wander off the beaten path, especially around Bourbon Street. NO is a place where you have beautiful historical areas very close to undesirable areas for tourists.
Good advice on both parts.

TECHNICALLY- you cannot carry concealed in your car ON YOUR PERSON unless you have a permit. Many will argue otherwise, just read LARS 14:95, no exception for in your car as it pertains to illegal carrying without a permit.

But you have a recognuized permit, so i degress....

Try not to stary off the main streets. Even that will not keep you totally safe, but at least you have the added police presence and the large groups of people. Even one street off of Bourbon can get you mugged or killed. It is true there are school zones in the French Quesrter, but wlking down the street, you will probably not be harassed. Especially being a tourist, there is no intent to break the law there.

Enjoy. try not to be a statistic.....
;)

jnmtwo

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
It is true there are school zones in the French Quesrter, but wlking down the street, you will probably not be harassed. Especially being a tourist, there is no intent to break the law there.

;)

Same for me, right?

Do you work the Quarter? If so, have you seen a single non-LEO OCing?

edit- because I screwed up
edit- because I screwed up again

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Jerry McBride wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
It is true there are school zones in the French Quesrter, but wlking down the street, you will probably not be harassed. Especially being a tourist, there is no intent to break the law there.

;)

Same for me, right?

No. I actually work in a neighboring Parish. I do not make the quarter too much unless complete toiurist friends are in town because I hate the crowds and violence from the young kids fighting all the time. Too volitile, there are better places for me to go out.
That said, the french Quarter NOPD guys, except for mardi Gras, are more laid back than the other district guys.

I have never actually seen anyone in the NOLA area OC, that was not a cop.

Even though everyone here knows it is wrong, there is a good chance that OC'ing, especially in the tourist rich FQ area, could get you added attention from the police. Just saying, it is the current reality.

CaptainDan

imported post

Jerry McBride wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:

;)
Same for me, right?

Jerry Buddy I HAVE CARRIED LITERALY ALL OVER THE QUARETR AND EVEN ASKED POLICE FOR DIRECTIONS WHILE CARRYING(IF I AM NOT IN MY HOUSE I HAVE MY GUN ON) NO PROBLEM.

CaptainDan

imported post

NOT TRYING TO ARGUE WIYH NOLACOPUSMC AND NOT BEING A SMART A%$ JUST SAYING I PERSONALLY HAVE ONLY HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES THERE.Besides, what can they realy do, it is our right not a fad, be polite if confronted at all and all sholud be fine.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
NOT TRYING TO ARGUE WIYH NOLACOPUSMC AND NOT BEING A SMART A%$ JUST SAYING I PERSONALLY HAVE ONLY HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES THERE.Besides, what can they realy do, it is our right not a fad, be polite if confronted at all and all sholud be fine.

i believe you brother.

A lot about OC and reality has to do with how the LEO perceives you based on stereotypes. I know it is a worthless tactic/ decision, but the saying "look like a criminal, be treated like a criminal" applies.

In NOLA, unless you wear 6XL white t-shirts 46"waist pants with a 23" waist, and a baseball cap with the tags still on it with a gansta tilt, you will probably be good to ago. :p

jnmtwo

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
I don't think that is arguing, nolacopusmc just hasn't seen it, ever, by other than a LEO. I've never seen another OCer,except intentionally (coffee, lunch, Lea's, range).

You might be the best example of how it should be. You might also get that unwanted attention he spoke of, not from LE maybe but aNYer or the like.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know of at least one Quarter resident who OCs from time to time. He is also a member here, but rarely posts. estrch is his screen name IIRC.

He actually had an incident where he fired his weappon to stop an armed robbery in the Quarter. Maj. Hosli, who commands the NOPD district that covers the Quarter, was a bit hostile to this guy (and he back, I might add) over citizens being armed in public. It took awhile for estrch to get his gun back from NOPD - longer, in fact, than the perp was in jail.

After my letter to Supt. Riley concerning the incident at my house, I went to a NOPAC meeting in November of 2008 where the lieutenant who ran the meeting in place of Maj. Hosli acknowedged to estrchthat OC was legal, but he expressed a similar disdain for it that most LEO have; and he expressed the legitimate concerns that all gun owners ought to consider when they decide to carry a firearm either OC or CC concerning knowledge of applicable laws on use of force, any repercussions from actually using the weapon, and many other items we have seen discussed here and elsewhere.

But overall, I believe that nolacopusmc is correct in saying that appearance and attitude can go a long way in the determination of whether or not MOST LEO will stop an OCer.

CaptainDan

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I know of at least one Quarter resident who OCs from time to time. He is also a member here, but rarely posts. estrch is his screen name IIRC.

He actually had an incident where he fired his weappon to stop an armed robbery in the Quarter. Maj. Hosli, who commands the NOPD district that covers the Quarter, was a bit hostile to this guy (and he back, I might add) over citizens being armed in public. It took awhile for estrch to get his gun back from NOPD - longer, in fact, than the perp was in jail.

After my letter to Supt. Riley concerning the incident at my house, I went to a NOPAC meeting in November of 2008 where the lieutenant who ran the meeting in place of Maj. Hosli acknowedged to estrchthat OC was legal, but he expressed a similar disdain for it that most LEO have; and he expressed the legitimate concerns that all gun owners ought to consider when they decide to carry a firearm either OC or CC concerning knowledge of applicable laws on use of force, any repercussions from actually using the weapon, and many other items we have seen discussed here and elsewhere.

But overall, I believe that nolacopusmc is correct in saying that appearance and attitude can go a long way in the determination of whether or not MOST LEO will stop an OCer.

That is where it gets messy, LEO aren't lawyers all though many of them think they are.(not all of course) I know if you are justified per statutes to fire your weapon , you cannot be held liable for damages, help me out XD, you probably know it word for word like I should but don't. When a high ranking officer such as the one mentioned above uses his "legal knowlage" toscare law abiding citizens who live in one of the most dangerous places on Earth,from OC with some imaginary threat of legal reprocussions, all he is doing is in factturning non victims into sheep for all to target, they know there is LITTLE chance of capture so without a side arm where is the deterant to leave you and yours alone?

By the way there is a man I run into at Accademy sports regularly who OC's, may be LEO but doesn't look it, no badge on belt.Been wanting to ask but am aprehensive in case it's a LEO who is against OC don't want to start somthing for no good reason. Also I have seen an OC from time to time around Marrero.

I also agree with nolacopusmc, I think a big reason I am nearly never hassaled is because people probably think I am an officer (allthough I do not pretend to be) I am allways neat and well groomed.I keep my hair short(personel preference)And try to carry myself well, I make sure no one see's me as a threat. I smile often and speak to strangers when confined or stuck in large crowds. I try to look as natural / comfortable as I can.When Isee LEO checking me out I smile and nod, so far that was all it took. The only time I was hassaled was by a female officer who came up behind me.In my opinion if you carry yourself well itTakes the steam out of people, thugs aren't nice guys.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:

FWIW,

I think a lot of the issues LEO have with OC, and even those with CC, is the lack of training many people have. Granted, many cops cannot hit the broadside of a barn with a abnjo, but many people think just because they have a right to own a firearm, then that is where it ends.

i think like any potentially deadly instrument..car, boat, etc, training should come with it.

The fear is that people will do something stupid.

Just my .02