• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NEW ORLEANS

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
I know of at least one Quarter resident who OCs from time to time. He is also a member here, but rarely posts. estrch is his screen name IIRC.

He actually had an incident where he fired his weappon to stop an armed robbery in the Quarter. Maj. Hosli, who commands the NOPD district that covers the Quarter, was a bit hostile to this guy (and he back, I might add) over citizens being armed in public. It took awhile for estrch to get his gun back from NOPD - longer, in fact, than the perp was in jail.

After my letter to Supt. Riley concerning the incident at my house, I went to a NOPAC meeting in November of 2008 where the lieutenant who ran the meeting in place of Maj. Hosli acknowedged to estrchthat OC was legal, but he expressed a similar disdain for it that most LEO have; and he expressed the legitimate concerns that all gun owners ought to consider when they decide to carry a firearm either OC or CC concerning knowledge of applicable laws on use of force, any repercussions from actually using the weapon, and many other items we have seen discussed here and elsewhere.

But overall, I believe that nolacopusmc is correct in saying that appearance and attitude can go a long way in the determination of whether or not MOST LEO will stop an OCer.
FWIW,

I think a lot of the issues LEO have with OC, and even those with CC, is the lack of training many people have. Granted, many cops cannot hit the broadside of a barn with a abnjo, but many people think just because they have a right to own a firearm, then that is where it ends.

i think like any potentially deadly instrument..car, boat, etc, training should come with it.

The fear is that people will do something stupid.

Just my .02

Some folks can't even hit a lil' ole keyboard. :p(j/k) I'm so guilty of that, too.

But you're right, of course. Carrying a dangerous instrument without some training is simply not responsible. I've actually advised a few folks to take the CHP class even if they don't intend to get a CHP, just so that they learn the legal side of things presented there and also to get an idea of how little they may actually know about weapon handling.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
That is where it gets messy, LEO aren't lawyers all though many of them think they are.
At the NOPAC meeting I mentioned earlier, these are almost the exact words I used to defend the reactions of NOPD to OC. To the surprise of the NOPD officers, I told someone who was griping at them about the situation that it was simply a mater of training. Cops are taught what's illegal, not what's legal. The most frequent encounter with an armed non-LEO that the average cop has is when some criminal pulls a weapon. So it can be confusing to find out that it is legal for OC. There are simply too many laws for anyone to be aware of them all.

CaptainDan wrote:
I know if you are justified per statutes to fire your weapon , you cannot be held liable for damages, help me out XD, you probably know it word for word like I should but don't.
You may mean what's referred to as "Castle Doctrine" which states that one has immunity from prosecution for a proper use of deadly force, especially on one's own property. Louisiana law was also recently amended to give civil protection to anyone found to have acted within the lawful definitions for use of force, meaning that if you justifyably kill some robbing scumbag, his family can't come after you in court (like they used to be able to do).

CaptainDan wrote:
When a high ranking officer such as the one mentioned above uses his "legal knowlage" toscare law abiding citizens who live in one of the most dangerous places on Earth,from OC with some imaginary threat of legal reprocussions, all he is doing is in factturning non victims into sheep for all to target, they know there is LITTLE chance of capture so without a side arm where is the deterant to leave you and yours alone?
I'm not sure I understand your question here, but if you are asking if it is illegal for the police to discourage armed citizens, then I'd have to say no - provided they do so in a manner that does not violate rights. They can speak out against it - even as vociferously as nolacopusmc does here; and I would argue that it is part of their freedom of speech as fellow citizens voicing their opinion. However, what they cannot do is threaten physical violence or deprevation of liberty (nor can they actually carry through on those threats). That amounts to a violation of one's civil rights under color of authority - a MAJOR violation of The US Code, conviction for which has severe penalties, both criminal and civil.

jnmtwo

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I've actually advised a few folks to take the CHP class even if they don't intend to get a CHP, just so that they learn the legal side of things presented there and also to get an idea of how little they may actually know about weapon handling.

Now that is just plain dumb. :D Who would take a CHP class w/o getting a CHP? :)

Oh, oh, I know. Do you know who would, nolacopusmc? :D

How's that for yellow things?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jerry McBride wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
I've actually advised a few folks to take the CHP class even if they don't intend to get a CHP, just so that they learn the legal side of things presented there and also to get an idea of how little they may actually know about weapon handling.

Now that is just plain dumb. :D Who would take a CHP class w/o getting a CHP? :)

Now you're getting the hang of it! :lol:

CaptainDan

imported post

XD -you awnsered my question concerning liability, thanks.

My point is that when any LEO, especially a high ranking Leo, heads a meeting to "inform" the public concerningviolent crime,what the Police are doing to help and what is acceptable or not and makes his "general disdain" so odvious to all in attendance he is basically saying "don't open carry, the police don't like it." Now most people are programed to obey aothority, also most people think The Law and LEO are one and the same. How many citizens refuse to open carry solely based on this "general Disdain?" Becoming easy targets because "WE don't like it"

It makes no difference wether they like it or not to you and me, we know our rights. But to the people begging for help(wether they help or not) Would you purposly piss off the people you are begging for help? Probably not.

I never implied he did anything illegal. Pushy? In bad taste? Certainly.he has a right to his opinion like you and me. However, his speach was given while wearing a badge and representing The police, if he thought his words carried no weight , had no influence, why say them?

By saying it's not illegal but we don't like it, who was he refering to? Right. The police. and like I said, to most people, the police ARE the law.

Should he be flogged? No. Beaten? No. He is just used to people doing what he says, after all he IS in a position of authority, right? And we don't want to get on their bad side , they might not help us, right?

KBCraig

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
In NOLA, unless you wear 6XL white t-shirts 46"waist pants with a 23" waist, and a baseball cap with the tags still on it with a gansta tilt, you will probably be good to ago. :p
If you dress like that in NOLA, you run the risk of being mistaken for an off-duty NOPD officer. :p

To change the subject, I thought it was hilarious that one of the players on the LSU baseball team that just one the College World Series, is named "Nola".

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Jerry McBride wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

i'LL NEVER TELL. :lol:

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
In NOLA, unless you wear 6XL white t-shirts 46"waist pants with a 23" waist, and a baseball cap with the tags still on it with a gansta tilt, you will probably be good to ago. :p

If you dress like that in NOLA, you run the risk of being mistaken for an off-duty NOPD officer
. :p

To change the subject, I thought it was hilarious that one of the players on the LSU baseball team that just one the College World Series, is named "Nola".
Trudt