Thread: Has anyone from Wisconsin OC'd in Indiana?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm going to be visiting a friend in a few weeks, and I had planned to OC while there. I asked about the rules regarding out-of-staters in the Indiana forum, and finally got a response regarding out-of-state permits, which I had already heard. The thing is, we don't have permits here. So can I carry without anything, or do I need to find some sort of permit to carry?

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
    I'm going to be visiting a friend in a few weeks, and I had planned to OC while there. I asked about the rules regarding out-of-staters in the Indiana forum, and finally got a response regarding out-of-state permits, which I had already heard. The thing is, we don't have permits here. So can I carry without anything, or do I need to find some sort of permit to carry?
    According to the OCDO map for OC, you must have a permit issued by that state to OC. It sounds like there may or may not be some reciprocity for other state permits but I can't say for sure. While WI does not require a permit to OC, the fact the IN does means that you likely cannot OC.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Check www.handgunlaw.us for all the information. Indiana is a great freedom loving carry state and accepts permits from all states.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Spent a few days there not too long ago, but CC'd the entire time. Sorry.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Banned

Post imported post

It has been some years ago, but I did open carry in Indiana. I never had any real issues, although I was there working. Funny thing is I have never really had any issues in any state. For the most part, most Americans support the right to bear arms and usually it is the ones that are brain washed that would have an issue. I will say that while traveling throughout the states I always abide by the transport restrictions for Wisconsin and I do this because I could clearly argue that I am following the laws of my home state. I realize that may not win me anything in court but it sure couldn't hurt either.

Post imported post

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.