• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone from Wisconsin OC'd in Indiana?

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm going to be visiting a friend in a few weeks, and I had planned to OC while there. I asked about the rules regarding out-of-staters in the Indiana forum, and finally got a response regarding out-of-state permits, which I had already heard. The thing is, we don't have permits here. So can I carry without anything, or do I need to find some sort of permit to carry?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
I'm going to be visiting a friend in a few weeks, and I had planned to OC while there. I asked about the rules regarding out-of-staters in the Indiana forum, and finally got a response regarding out-of-state permits, which I had already heard. The thing is, we don't have permits here. So can I carry without anything, or do I need to find some sort of permit to carry?

According to the OCDO map for OC, you must have a permit issued by that state to OC. It sounds like there may or may not be some reciprocity for other state permits but I can't say for sure. While WI does not require a permit to OC, the fact the IN does means that you likely cannot OC.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

It has been some years ago, but I did open carry in Indiana. I never had any real issues, although I was there working. Funny thing is I have never really had any issues in any state. For the most part, most Americans support the right to bear arms and usually it is the ones that are brain washed that would have an issue. I will say that while traveling throughout the states I always abide by the transport restrictions for Wisconsin and I do this because I could clearly argue that I am following the laws of my home state. I realize that may not win me anything in court but it sure couldn't hurt either.

Passive101

imported post

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.