• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry for Non-Resident Alien

spartans

imported post

I am a Canadian Citizen who will be visiting your great State in August this year.

I will be travelling with my Glock 17 - have been approved for transport into U.S. by ATF and have required permits.

my question. does UTAH allow OPEN CARRY for a Non-Resident Alien -ie me?

if yes, how so? what forms do I need to fill out / permits?

where can I find these?

also can you hunt with a pistol (9mm) in Utah in Aug?

thank you

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

As long as you are 18, and not otherwise restricted from possession (sounds like you are good here) then you may carry openly in Utah.

Here is the catch. I am assuming that you do not have a concealed firearm permit. If you do not have a permit, you need to follow three simple rules.

Rule #1. You may carry your firearm openly, but not loaded. Very simple, the magazine may be full, as long as there is no round in the chamber. If youare in a vehicle that is in your lawful possession, then this restriction does not apply. Here is how Utah defines loaded.

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

Rule #2. You must stay away from "school zones". It is a crime to carry (without a permit) within 1000 feet of school property. Again, this does not apply if you are in your vehicle.

Rule #3. Still assuming that you do not have a concealed firearm permit, do not bring your firearm onto a bus or train in Utah. It is a felony if you do.

All of these rules are null and void if you have a concealed firearm permit from any State or County.

As far as hunting is concerned, be a little more specific, and I am sure somebody herecan help you.

Happy carrying, and enjoy Utah! :monkey

scorpioajr

imported post

spartans wrote:
I am a Canadian Citizen who will be visiting your great State in August this year.

I will be travelling with my Glock 17 - have been approved for transport into U.S. by ATF and have required permits.

my question. does UTAH allow OPEN CARRY for a Non-Resident Alien -ie me?

if yes, how so? what forms do I need to fill out / permits?

where can I find these?

also can you hunt with a pistol (9mm) in Utah in Aug?

thank you
Welcome to OCDO, eh? :lol:
Bring your gun and smile. We Americans welcome an armed brother from the north. Its those southerners we don't want coming in with guns.

very cool. Business, pleasure? Welcome!

CanadaEmoticon.gif

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Oh yeah, and also try to avoid walking into a post office or federal building. Permit or not, you are going to have your rear handed to you and be hauled off in cuffs. The Feds still have a stick shoved where the sun don't shine and haven't caught up with the rest of the nation yet. If you happen to need access to the secure area of an airport, you will also have to leave your gun behind, permit or not. You can hang out in the baggage claim area with no problems though.

Have fun in Utah!

Kevin

spartans

imported post

sounds great - and thank you ...eh!!

I am looking to hunting ANYTHING you can legally with a 9mm pistol (small game / bird etc)

why you ask?? Up here in Canada, you can not hunt with a pistol (of any kink / caliber). pistol / revolver can only be discarged at a certified range.

also, when transporting a pistol (which is considered a 'restricted' firearm), it must be in a locked case, with a tigger lock on it, and unloaded.

all 'restricted' firearms must be transported this way, and can only be discarged at a certified range. so, no going out back and blasting a few off with a 9mm. unless you want to end up in jail.

so, just given the chance to actually get to hunt with one, for me - is a once in a lifetime opportunity -eh??

thank you for all your help

just so I am 100% on the Utah law regarding open carry for a non-resident alien, can anyone point me to a government website outlining your laws?

colormered

imported post

The easiest way to answer your question regarding hunting in Utah is to ask specifically what you want to hunt, and we can get you an answer, rather than digging up the info on dozens of species you AREN'T intending on hunting. And again, WELCOME!

After thinking on it a while, if you let us know where you will be visiting, maybe we can come up with some suggestions on what there is in that vicinity. Did we say welcome, yet?

scorpioajr

imported post

spartans wrote:

I am looking to hunting ANYTHING you can legally with a 9mm pistol (small game / bird etc)

why you ask?? Up here in Canada, you can not hunt with a pistol (of any kink / caliber). pistol / revolver can only be discarged at a certified range.

also, when transporting a pistol (which is considered a 'restricted' firearm), it must be in a locked case, with a tigger lock on it, and unloaded.

all 'restricted' firearms must be transported this way, and can only be discarged at a certified range. so, no going out back and blasting a few off with a 9mm. unless you want to end up in jail.

so, just given the chance to actually get to hunt with one, for me - is a once in a lifetime opportunity -eh??

just so I am 100% on the Utah law regarding open carry for a non-resident alien, can anyone point me to a government website outlining your laws?
You can shoot and kill ANY varmint without a permit so long as you are out of city limits, some of ole boy redneck could prolly point you in the right directions . Potguts, coyotes, badgers, etc without a permit. Some of our counties such as tooele even give you a reward for the coyotes if you bring them the ears. Have fun eh!

spartans

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
spartans wrote:

You can shoot and kill ANY varmint without a permit so long as you are out of city limits, some of ole boy redneck could prolly point you in the right directions . Potguts, coyotes, badgers, etc without a permit. Some of our counties such as tooele even give you a reward for the coyotes if you bring them the ears. Have fun eh!

can varmint be hunted with a pistol - 9 mm? that was the type of hunt I was lookingfor. coyotes, badgers - not familiar with Potguts - but I will throw them in the mix as well.

good to know you do not even need apermit - just asmall game hunting license?

forgot to mention, we will be travelling all throughout the State - literally from North to Southand West to East through the Salt Flatts.

Nuttycomputer

imported post

spartans wrote:
can varmint be hunted with a pistol - 9 mm? that was the type of hunt I was lookingfor. coyotes, badgers - not familiar with Potguts - but I will throw them in the mix as well.

good to know you do not even need apermit - just asmall game hunting license?

forgot to mention, we will be travelling all throughout the State - literally from North to Southand West to East through the Salt Flatts.

With a Pistol? Absolutely. As far as I'm aware you can hunt with any firearm you can own. ;)

I'm not sure about the license. I don't hunt often but when I do it's usually just for fun. I take the .22 Rifle and 9mm handgun out to the West Desert to hunt Jack Rabitts. So far as I'm aware you do not need a license to hunt those.

ScottyT

imported post

Jack Rabbits are ok to shoot, but not cottontails! Jacks are classified as pests, but you need a small game license to shoot cottons.

AFAIK, coyotes, skunks (depending on county?), potguts (large ground squirrel type critters -- fat little SOBs), etc, are all ok to shoot as well.

spartans

imported post

can anyone point me to site (gov't) so I can look into buying a small game license?

maybe Department of Fishing / Wildlife ??

to that end, you guys have been great on here - thank you so much for all the help.

I cannot wait till out trip this Aug. !!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Oh yeah, and also try to avoid walking into a post office or federal building. Permit or not, you are going to have your rear handed to you and be hauled off in cuffs. The Feds still have a stick shoved where the sun don't shine and haven't caught up with the rest of the nation yet. If you happen to need access to the secure area of an airport, you will also have to leave your gun behind, permit or not. You can hang out in the baggage claim area with no problems though.

Have fun in Utah!

Kevin
And here I thought the issue about weather the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT was limited in regard to the FEDERAL 2nd AMENDMENT was settled law YEARS AGO....

Oh, so frustrating!

althor

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

This is not true.

From 23-13-2(35)(a) and 23-13-2(49)(c
), protected wildlife includes vertebrate animals living in nature, except feral animals and those listed in 23-13-2(35)(b) which include only the following: coyote, field mouse, gopher, ground squirrel, jack rabbit, muskrat, and raccoon.

So your potguts (what are they?), badgers, and any other animal you might call varmints are not legal to kill without a license.

*edit: Not sure about the potguts. It seems that there are several animals that are referred to as potguts and one of them is the ground squirrel. So they might be a go.

scorpioajr

imported post

althor wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

This is not true...
badgers, and any other animal you might call varmints are not legal to kill without a license...
Wow. i'll have to call the DWR again. If Badgers are not Varmints - i know a butt load of ranchers that are breaking the laws as we speak. I have bailed more hay than i would like to admit on various ranchers farms. Their hands and myself were instructed to kill Badgers on sight becasue they dig holes that break their horses ankels. So.... ya, i'll give the DWR a call to settle this one:

scorpioajr

imported post

OK.
Looks like we were both right. You CAN kill a badger if it is causing a nuisance: Which is why the Ranchers I worked for were legally allowed to have us kill them to prevent further damage to their horses. HOWEVER, you CAN NOT just kill a badger.

So, I apologise for not have ALL the facts. Thank you for correcting me.

A. Badger, Weasel, and Spotted Skunk R657-11-21 (1) Badger, weasel, and spotted skunk may be taken anytime without a license when creating a nuisance or causing damage, provided the animal or its parts are not sold or traded.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2006-07_furbearer/2006-07_furbearer.pdf

rpyne

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
OK.
Looks like we were both right. You CAN kill a badger if it is causing a nuisance: Which is why the Ranchers I worked for were legally allowed to have us kill them to prevent further damage to their horses. HOWEVER, you CAN NOT just kill a badger.

So, I apologise for not have ALL the facts. Thank you for correcting me.

A. Badger, Weasel, and Spotted Skunk R657-11-21 (1) Badger, weasel, and spotted skunk may be taken anytime without a license when creating a nuisance or causing damage, provided the animal or its parts are not sold or traded.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2006-07_furbearer/2006-07_furbearer.pdf
Have you ever seen a badger, weasel or spotted skunk that wasn't creating a nuisance?

combatcarry

imported post

Utah Code:
23-18-6. Taking red fox or striped skunk.Red fox or striped skunk may be taken anytime without a license as provided by this title or rules or a proclamation of the Wildlife Board.

Utah Code:
23-13-2. (35)(b) "Protected wildlife" does not include coyote, field mouse, gopher, ground squirrel, jack rabbit, muskrat, and raccoon.

I read in some funny loopholes in the law within this book http://www.amazon.com/Utah-Gun-Law-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245943502&sr=1-1 or here http://www.firearmslaw.com/author.html. It is against the law (technically) to kill a rat in Utah. The law protects everything with a backbone with the exception of a few critters. However they forgot to put the rat on the exception list. Also, it is legal to shoot a Raven or Crow if it is in sufficient number to cause a health risk, or if it is damaging a shade tree. If you kill a Crow or Raven it must be buried. I can't find the actual references to those funny laws, but I remember them from the book. Of course I'm not an attorney so hunt at your own risk. :)

Have fun... probably your best bet with your 9mm will be Jackrabbit hunting. They are sufficient in number, require no license, and will give you a lot of shooting opportunities. Jackrabbits can be legally hunted with "any weapon".

One other thing... Be careful "quick-drawing" on them waskawwee wabbits, and re-holstering. I get a copy of the Utah hunting accidents each year and most of them involve un-holstering and re-holstering a pistol.