Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Ticket for expired tabs

Post imported post

I just got a $216 ticket yesterday because the tabs on my truck were over 2 months expired.

This isn't even remotely gun-related, so I won't cry if it gets deleted, but does anyone have any advice on getting the ticket reduced? Anyone had a similar ticket?

Post imported post

Im not sure but they might reduce it if you fix it before your court date.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Going to court they will usually reduce, maybe by as much as half. It depends mostly on the mood of the judge and maybe having a good story. The question is whether 5-6 hours of your time is worth what you might save.

Consider yourself lucky, if they had come across it parked on the street, it could have been impounded. A change to the law last year allowed police to ticket and impound cars parked on public property with registration expired by 45 days or more.

Ticket, impound, a day or two of storage, you are quickly looking at $500 or more where as most registrations are only $45-$55.

Post imported post

I don't have much of a story for them is the problem. I just got lazy and put it off. I'm pretty broke, so that's kind of a reason I guess.

Post imported post

I had a similar ticket recuded to $10 once. The fine at the time was somewhere north of $100 so I would definitely consider first getting the new tabs and then go "tell it to the Judge". Most hearings for things like this are held on a Group Scheduled basis. Your time will be assigned along with 8-10 other similar cases. Time alloted to each is usually 10 minutes of actual time with the judge/Magistrate. Get your story together, tell it quick and accurately, and then get out your checkbook. I'll wager that you will save at least $100.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Do they take forms of payment other than checks?

Post imported post

Cash always works...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Banned

Post imported post

credit or debit/ checks/ cash

Post imported post

Very good. I'm hoping they'll accept updated tabs and my being broke as reason to reduce the fine.

Post imported post

maybe if you just tell them it's your part-time vehicle and you don't drive it regularly, they'll understand you may have forgotten to tab it. Being broke might not suffice as an excuse, some "judges" will suggest you sell the vehicle instead, if you're "that broke". Obviously, most of them have had well paying jobs and can't fathom the idea of a lack of funds.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

That might work.

One more question: if I go in to talk to them, and they give me a time and date to show up, is the time negotiable?

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    That might work.

One more question: if I go in to talk to them, and they give me a time and date to show up, is the time negotiable?
    You will be most likely talking to a Clerk and they will have some leeway on times.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

What area did you get the ticket in?

You will likely get a court date/time (morning or afternoon). Once you get there the calendar is usually alphabetical, except that lawyers may be present and they will run through all the cases a particular lawyer represents in groups to get the lawyers out.

Expect on at least 3 hours or so. Yes, you can ask for a new date, but no guarantee it will be any better for your schedule. About the most you can do when you ask for one is to tell them what day of the week is best for you.

Post imported post

I'm out of town for a few days coming up is the only reason I ask. Other than that I can make any time.

I got the ticket in Pullman, by the Pullman PD.

Post imported post

Yeah, always talk to the judge if you have time. I got a $550 ticket (Negligent Driving Second Degree) deferred and reduced to $250.

Post imported post

Say, can I get it thrown out because the cop put the wrong address on it?

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    Say, can I get it thrown out because the cop put the wrong address on it?
    Was it the address you had on your DL? Then no, it's up to you to keep your address current. BTW, that's a $124 ticket as well, and you only have 10 days to do that.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.20.205

Post imported post

Here's the thing.

I'm a WSU student, so the address on my DL is not the same as my address in Pullman. Last year, I got pulled over and the cop asked me for a local address. I gave him my current local address.

Since then I have moved to a new apartment in the same complex. I guess the first cop entered my address into some kind of database, because this most recent cop did not ask me for a local address. When I got the ticket it already had last year's local address on it.

My permanent address was not on the ticket.

Post imported post

You can make that argument in court, but I can pretty much promise you it wont hold water.

The whole reason for the Officer to ask for a current address is in case the ticket needs to be mailed; in case the Officer can't finish the ticket on scene and has to respond to a more important call.

The law is very clear about who needs to make sure your address is current. If your address isn't current, and the ticket gets mailed to the wrong address because you haven't updated it with DOL, your license will get suspended because you haven't responded to the ticket.

But like I said, feel free to make your point in court. Very rarely have I seen tickets thrown out on a "legal technicality." The standard for traffic court is a "preponderance of the evidence," not "beyond a reasonable doubt." A "look, this address is wrong, so the ticket shouldn't count," really doesn't tip the scale of "a preponderance of the evidence."

Post imported post

I figured it wouldn't work.

Post imported post

Well (but not over) dressed, well spoken and polite. was honest with the Judge, who ended up dropping ALOT off my ticket for "no-insurance and modified exhaust".

- Showed i had auto-payed insurance for years, and reciept for the new muffler.

- He 100% dropped the "no-insurance" and lowered the exhaust ticket as low as his policy allowed. ~ I was nice, he was nice, it ended up nice .

- I got my fingers crossed for ya - keep yer chin up :celebrate

Bat
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

Thanks. This type of ticket should be pretty easy to have lowered, since the tabs will be updated as of tomorrow.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote
    The law is very clear about who needs to make sure your address is current. If your address isn't current, and the ticket gets mailed to the wrong address because you haven't updated it with DOL, your license will get suspended because you haven't responded to the ticket.
    I wonder if I could use as an excuse that I was kicked out of the DOL office because I was open carrying.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    I wonder if I could use as an excuse that I was kicked out of the DOL office because I was open carrying.
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/520039.html

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Here's the deal. Always go to court. The three times I've been in court... the police officer who wrote the ticket was not there so the charges were all dropped.I payed absolutely zero on three tickets that amounted to nearly 800 dollars. Remember, you have the right to face your accuser. One time, the judge was really pissed the officer was not there... and the funny thing was that as soon as I contested my ticket and won.... everyone after me started contesting their tickets. Lots of people had no fine to pay that day.

Now in order for this to work, you need to dispute the charge. Even if you know you were wrong... dispute it. But of course, fix the tabs before you go in.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast