• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Ticket for expired tabs

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I just got a $216 ticket yesterday because the tabs on my truck were over 2 months expired.

This isn't even remotely gun-related, so I won't cry if it gets deleted, but does anyone have any advice on getting the ticket reduced? Anyone had a similar ticket?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Going to court they will usually reduce, maybe by as much as half. It depends mostly on the mood of the judge and maybe having a good story. The question is whether 5-6 hours of your time is worth what you might save.

Consider yourself lucky, if they had come across it parked on the street, it could have been impounded. A change to the law last year allowed police to ticket and impound cars parked on public property with registration expired by 45 days or more.

Ticket, impound, a day or two of storage, you are quickly looking at $500 or more where as most registrations are only $45-$55.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I don't have much of a story for them is the problem. I just got lazy and put it off. I'm pretty broke, so that's kind of a reason I guess.
:banghead:

amlevin

imported post

I had a similar ticket recuded to $10 once. The fine at the time was somewhere north of $100 so I would definitely consider first getting the new tabs and then go "tell it to the Judge". Most hearings for things like this are held on a Group Scheduled basis. Your time will be assigned along with 8-10 other similar cases. Time alloted to each is usually 10 minutes of actual time with the judge/Magistrate. Get your story together, tell it quick and accurately, and then get out your checkbook. I'll wager that you will save at least $100.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Very good. I'm hoping they'll accept updated tabs and my being broke as reason to reduce the fine.

bugly

imported post

maybe if you just tell them it's your part-time vehicle and you don't drive it regularly, they'll understand you may have forgotten to tab it. Being broke might not suffice as an excuse, some "judges" will suggest you sell the vehicle instead, if you're "that broke". Obviously, most of them have had well paying jobs and can't fathom the idea of a lack of funds.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

That might work.

One more question: if I go in to talk to them, and they give me a time and date to show up, is the time negotiable?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

What area did you get the ticket in?

You will likely get a court date/time (morning or afternoon). Once you get there the calendar is usually alphabetical, except that lawyers may be present and they will run through all the cases a particular lawyer represents in groups to get the lawyers out.

Expect on at least 3 hours or so. Yes, you can ask for a new date, but no guarantee it will be any better for your schedule. About the most you can do when you ask for one is to tell them what day of the week is best for you.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I'm out of town for a few days coming up is the only reason I ask. Other than that I can make any time.

I got the ticket in Pullman, by the Pullman PD.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Say, can I get it thrown out because the cop put the wrong address on it? :D

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Here's the thing.

I'm a WSU student, so the address on my DL is not the same as my address in Pullman. Last year, I got pulled over and the cop asked me for a local address. I gave him my current local address.

Since then I have moved to a new apartment in the same complex. I guess the first cop entered my address into some kind of database, because this most recent cop did not ask me for a local address. When I got the ticket it already had last year's local address on it.

My permanent address was not on the ticket.

BigDaddy5

imported post

You can make that argument in court, but I can pretty much promise you it wont hold water.

The whole reason for the Officer to ask for a current address is in case the ticket needs to be mailed; in case the Officer can't finish the ticket on scene and has to respond to a more important call.

The law is very clear about who needs to make sure your address is current. If your address isn't current, and the ticket gets mailed to the wrong address because you haven't updated it with DOL, your license will get suspended because you haven't responded to the ticket.

But like I said, feel free to make your point in court. Very rarely have I seen tickets thrown out on a "legal technicality." The standard for traffic court is a "preponderance of the evidence," not "beyond a reasonable doubt." A "look, this address is wrong, so the ticket shouldn't count," really doesn't tip the scale of "a preponderance of the evidence."