• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Ticket for expired tabs

Batousaii

imported post

Well (but not over) dressed, well spoken and polite. was honest with the Judge, who ended up dropping ALOT off my ticket for "no-insurance and modified exhaust".

- Showed i had auto-payed insurance for years, and reciept for the new muffler.

- He 100% dropped the "no-insurance" and lowered the exhaust ticket as low as his policy allowed. ~ I was nice, he was nice, it ended up nice .

- I got my fingers crossed for ya - keep yer chin up :celebrate

Bat

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Thanks. This type of ticket should be pretty easy to have lowered, since the tabs will be updated as of tomorrow.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote
The law is very clear about who needs to make sure your address is current. If your address isn't current, and the ticket gets mailed to the wrong address because you haven't updated it with DOL, your license will get suspended because you haven't responded to the ticket.
I wonder if I could use as an excuse that I was kicked out of the DOL office because I was open carrying.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Here's the deal. Always go to court. The three times I've been in court... the police officer who wrote the ticket was not there so the charges were all dropped.I payed absolutely zero on three tickets that amounted to nearly 800 dollars. Remember, you have the right to face your accuser. One time, the judge was really pissed the officer was not there... and the funny thing was that as soon as I contested my ticket and won.... everyone after me started contesting their tickets. Lots of people had no fine to pay that day.

Now in order for this to work, you need to dispute the charge. Even if you know you were wrong... dispute it. But of course, fix the tabs before you go in.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Here's the deal. Always go to court. The three times I've been in court... the police officer who wrote the ticket was not there so the charges were all dropped.I payed absolutely zero on three tickets that amounted to nearly 800 dollars. Remember, you have the right to face your accuser. One time, the judge was really pissed the officer was not there... and the funny thing was that as soon as I contested my ticket and won.... everyone after me started contesting their tickets. Lots of people had no fine to pay that day.

Now in order for this to work, you need to dispute the charge. Even if you know you were wrong... dispute it. But of course, fix the tabs before you go in.
How long ago was this? That only works if you make the request in advance to have the officer be there. If you don't, then his statement is admissible (this change was made many years ago).

Very few folks make the request, and you stand a better chance disputing his statement than a flesh and blood cop in a uniform.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I already admitted guilt. I'm not trying to beat the system here, I just want the fee reduced.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

911Boss wrote:

How long ago was this? That only works if you make the request in advance to have the officer be there. If you don't, then his statement is admissible (this change was made many years ago).

Very few folks make the request, and you stand a better chance disputing his statement than a flesh and blood cop in a uniform.

First of all, you are wrong. Second of all, if he shows up... you will lose as judges areprone to take the side of the policeunless you can make an airtight case in your favor.... which I did on two occasions (yes, I have too much time on my hands) by video taping the road where the car accident occurred and using my radar gun (yes, i bought a radar gun) to show that all cars coming over the hill were speeding at or beyond 10mph over the speed limit making it impossible to pull out without getting hit or almost hit. But, the cop never showed up... the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution clearly states;

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense."

The police officer is the witness against you... and therefore must be there or the case will have to be thrown out. If they don't do it... sue them for a violation of your Constitutional Rights. Make them pay through the nose... if you let them get away with it... you are no better than they are.

BigDaddy5

imported post

The police officer is the witness against you... and therefore must be there or the case will have to be thrown out. If they don't do it... sue them for a violation of your Constitutional Rights. Make them pay through the nose... if you let them get away with it... you are no better than they are.

That is only partially correct.

What 911boss stated is right. You MUST subpoena the officer. If you contest the ticket, and do not go through the extra step of subpoenaing the officer, his statement is admissible and it does not violate your right to face your accuser.

You are correct, you do have the right to face your accuser. But it's up to you to make sure he's subpoenaed.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

P.S.- The majority of tickets are traffic "Infractions" and NOT criminal prosecutions. That is why they don't have to show up unless you subpoena them. You may want to read the "Rules for Courts of limited jurisdiction" and the RCW regarding the admissibility of "Unsworn statements" (9A.72.085).

I supposed you could certainly appeal and try to sue if you like, but you would waste a lot of money and lose that as well. his matter was settled about 30 years ago I believe.

As you said yourself, if they do show you are more likely to lose. I too have been very successful in having traffic tickets dismissed. Two on myself a couple years ago, including a trumped up negligent driving by one of WSP's ADAT task force guys.

In addition to that, I coached my son on how to fight his two tickets and they were dismissed as well. 4-0 record over a 2-year period.

OT- Two of the tickets were BS, that is why they were tossed. A couple were legit, however the officers and or the court them failed to do their job properly and for that they were dismissed on "technicalities". Some may think we should just pay for them if we were guilty, but I have a problem when only one side is supposed to follow the rules.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.