• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro 2A Defence Attorney

Fenris

imported post

Could anyone recommend a good pro 2A defense attorney in northern Virginia?

Thanks.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thanks, Ed.
Anyone who has questions can pm or email me, or call me;
The office phone number is listed on the website, all info
available  in the "user profile".  (Licensed in Virginia only.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have had a very slight email exchange with User and being from a legal family, am quick to pull out Martindale-Hubbell and research lawyers from that point on. To be honest, I was impressed. He has a good track record and a good reputation with his peers.

I had a relative ask for the name of a good attorney last week (Non Gun Related) and if User was a little further South, I would have suggested him.

His willingness to actually deal with the client is a big plus in my book. I get sick of assembly line lawyers that are in many cases, worse than no lawyer at all.

Give him a call and get your own impression.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thank you for your kind remarks.

I've gotten several requests for information, and to answer the question, "How do I set up a retainer relationship with an attorney?", here's a general response:

Each lawyer sets his own terms. I, myself, do not charge a retainer. Note that a  "retainer" is a special payment which is earned at the time when it is paid in order to secure the relationship with the attorney, usually for a specific period of time, and not a payment for services. An attorney will often charge what's called "an advance against costs and fees" in order to be sure there's money available to charge against as such things arise. That money does not become the property of the attorney until costs or fees are incurred, and has to be kept in a special bank account reserved for other people's money.

I generally don't charge for "top-of-the-head" responses to questions, particularly by email (keep in mind, though, that email is not a secure means of communications). When I actually "do work", I usually charge by the hour, though I often charge a fixed-fee in criminal cases where I have a good idea of what it's going to take to get the case to trial.  

I limit my practice to defense in civil and criminal cases, and prefer cases that actually go to trial. Too many people settle cases or accept plea bargain offers to resolve cases they should have won, in my opinion.

When I do the firearms law seminar, I generally hand out business cards and a document that functions as information for law enforcement as to why the person detained should not be expected to answer any questions until I am consulted. I'll probably put a copy of that document on my website in PDF, though not today. Today, I'm working on NRA instructor certification in all-day training course ("Personal Protection Outside the Home"). 

By the way, the next firearms law seminar will be held on the evening of Saturday, July 18 in Linden (Warren Co.) at the Apple House.  More information is available from the event organizer, Virginia Pistol, at:
http://www.virginiapistol.com/VA%20law%20lethal.html

hsmith

imported post

user wrote:
Thanks, Ed.
Anyone who has questions can pm or email me, or call me;
The office phone number is listed on the website, all info
available in the "user profile". (Licensed in Virginia only.)
Do you (or do you know) anyone that does NFA Trusts?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I am and any of us can, though I'm the one who understands what "NFA" means.  All trusts are the same kind of critter, so any lawyer "could" do it, in theory, and one whose main line of practice is "trusts and estates" (mine's litigation) and who also understands the National Firearms Act would be best.  The only real complexity lies in transferring the firearm(s) to the trust.

nemo

imported post

user wrote:
By the way, the next firearms law seminar will be held on the evening of Saturday, July 18 in Linden (Warren Co.) at the Apple House. More information is available from the event organizer, Virginia Pistol, at:
http://www.virginiapistol.com/VA%20law%20lethal.html

User,

It is not convenient for us to attend the 18 July event.

Your web site mentions the seminars, albeit without dinner (believe it or don't, I would rather pay more for the seminar without the dinner, unless I know that the place is REALLY good, as I am spoiled by being married to a good cook), but the web site has no schedule. Do you intend to post a schedule at the web site or will all seminars be announced through Virginia Pistol?

TIA

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I assume you're talking about the Virginia Pistol website - that's not mine, that's, well, Virginia Pistol's website, it's a gun shop in Linden.  They organize and run the seminar/banquet events.  I just show up and run my mouth.  So the answer is, "yes", the seminars are announced in the Virginia Pistol website.