• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

looking for advice

1/75SNOT2

imported post

Alright, I'll try and simplify this as much as possible.

Joined the Army in 99.

Maintained my Michigan residency thru out my AD tour which ended in 04.

in 02 the state of Georgia issued me a Georgia CPL against my military ID and my MI DL.

02 purchased my Sig 220 for the purpuse of CC in Savannah GA.

been in Michigan since late 04 now.

Early 04 after returning fromback to back tours in OEF / OIFI got charged with DWI(speeding had a beer with dinner/ blew under the legal limit). Fought it in court down there and got it reduced to reckless driving in late 05.

My GA CPL expired this past june 8th (I was not CCing on it while living here.)

According to the State Cpl applicationa reckless driving conviction is means for non issuance of a MI CPL. CPL paperwork says 7 years before issuance (is that 7 yrs from date of insult or conviction?)

Couple questions.

1) ShouldI even botherapplying for a MI CPL. or is it just going to be a waste of money.

2)I saw last year on NRA.org (cant find it right now) that MI repealed the pistol inspection law. Which should make my georgia bought pistol legal for carry, right?

3)I am also looking for the differences between CPL gun free zones and open carry gun free zones in MI?

I have always thought that CCing was not ideal. I really like the idea of open carry and have been testing the waters here locally on a selective basis since i found out about the repealed inspection laws.

thanks for the info..

RLTW,

1/75SNOT2

Michigander

imported post

I just looked it up on the Michigan website. http://michigan.gov/documents/ri-012_7736_7.pdf

Heres what it says that pertains to you:

Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:
(snip)
Reckless driving, MCL 257.626

IF it was a Georgia conviction, there is a chance you can get a CPL before the 8 years goes by, although that's by no means guaranteed, that's just me not knowing if out of state convictions are handled differently, and in fact I tend to doubt that would work. If it was in Michigan, you're definitely going to have to wait.

Either way, it's not all bad. I've been OCing with no CPL since 07. ;)

One thing I gotta point out, is that NO, it's not legal to OC or even own a pistol in this state unless it's registered or you're an out of state CPL holder witha primary residence in the licensing state. They don't look at your gun anymore when you register it, but they definitely still register them. If you don't have an out of state CPL and drivers license or a military ID, a non registered pistol was and still is illegal. So basically when the GA license expires, you'll be SOL if it isn't registered. Make sure you take care of that.

autosurgeon

Bronson

1/75SNOT2

imported post

K. thanks.. I'll go talk to RPD on monday and see what they say. Seems kinda odd thatI would have to fill out a PURCHASE PERMITfor a pistolIhave owned for 6 years.

Just talked to a county sheriff here and he wasnt sure how to handle out of state purchased pistols or the transfer there ofin relation to a soldier moving home or anybody else moving in.

GA liscense has beenexpired 2 weeks. Guess we'll see what happens.

I will not be pursueing a CPL here.It would be a waste of time and money especially if the wife or I score a job out west (hopefully) with in the next 3 yrs.

Thanks for the intel..

autosurgeon

imported post

The purchase permit is a legal part of the process and you have to fill one out whether the gun is a gift or one you bring in from out of state... or inherited.

It's silly but it was put in place in the 20's to prevent blacks from owning pistols and being able to defend them selves against whites.