• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Modesto, CA

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

I spent the last two days in Modesto visiting family. The entire time I was there I exercised my right to open carry an unloaded fire arm. My firearm was in plain site for all to see. I went into my bank and made a deposit, walked through multiple stores running errands. I could tell lots of people noticed. A few asked what I do. They asked if I was a police or security officer. I explained to them that that I was nothing more than a law abiding citizen. I explained the legal right to open carry an unloaded firearm in the state of California. I explained that I wan't people to realize that NOT ONLY Police and Criminals have gun but law abiding citizens do as well.

The only time I took everything off is when I had to go into court for a man I had arrested on assault charges 6 months ago. No big deal.

Not once did I have any interference from local law enforcement. If I had, I would expect to be detained just long enough for them to run a report on my firearm and inspect it.

I plan to keep on open carrying most everywhere I go. I carry a two page print out from http://www.californiaopencarry.org/ listing the penal codes and case law surrounding open carry and definitions of loaded and not loaded.

For anyone who is curious, my firearm is a SA XD40. (Not exactly subtle.)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Very nice! You shoulda hit up CA_Libertarian to see if he wanted to do coffee or something. Glad to hear you had a good experience. Not that you should feel obligated to answer, but are you law enforcement or some other related occupation?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Damn it... you come to Modesto and don't even let me buy you a beer? Give me a heads up next time you come to visit family! Even better, move back here... we need more activists in this area... I'm lonely.