• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don’t mess with an armed woman buying tampons!

XD40coyote

imported post

Tess wrote:
MichaelWDean wrote:
She doesn't like Glocks because they don't have a safety.

MWD
Glad to see there are others who don't worship Glocks.

In my case, it's because I don't like a squared-off slide.

But to stay on topic -- my favorite T-shirt says "I have PMS and a gun. Any questions?"

Tess, do you wear that shirt while OCing in public? The idea of wearing such silly shirts greatly appeals to me, but somehow it seems to be something that could turn non gun people off , or just plain draw more attention to your OC, attention that may not always be joking banter.

I've seen other shirts that say " The ultimate in feminine protection" with a pic of a gun, and the really naughty" guns don't kill people, I do". Grapeshot gave me a card with a womanaiming a gun and it says " first rule of gun safety- don't piss me off!", which is hilarious, but not so sure about wearing a shirt with same while publicly OCing.

Speaking of shirts that could attract attention, I have an old one with hands around a Glock being fired and says "I don't dail 911". I got too fat for it to fit anymore though LOL.

One of these days I'm going to get one of the tan colored OCDO hats, the one that says opencarry.org with the gun pic.

MichaelWDean

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
The idea of wearing such silly shirts greatly appeals to me, but somehow it seems to be something that could turn non gun people off , or just plain draw more attention to your OC, attention that may not always be joking banter.
I agree wholeheartedly, XD40Coyote. I think we need to be emissaries while carrying.

There's also another issue with wearing "don't f*ck with me, I'm armed"-type shirts while carrying, which I posted about here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/19825-1.html

Again with the T-shirts..... Sigh.....

If you ever have to shoot someone in self-defense, do you want the jury to see a 5 foot x 5 foot blowup of a T-shirt you were wearing that basically says "I like to shoot people" while you're facing 20 years for murder in a righteous shoot?

This could be true of any "gun art" shirt, but especially of that second one, the one with the parody of the Serenity Prayer.

Does it occur to you that an ADA could spin that as premeditation, or at least that you were "looking for a fight"?

MWD

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Insert "Extra Wide with Wings" joke.
Feminine hygiene products make excellent emergency wound dressings - seriously.

For deep puncture or bullet wounds, tampons are great.

Yata hey
Duct Tape is also excellent for field dressing open wounds that require stitches. It sticks better than other tapes when there's a lot of blood involved. I keep duct tape, tampons andfeminine "mouse mattresses" in my 1st aid kit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Insert "Extra Wide with Wings" joke.
Feminine hygiene products make excellent emergency wound dressings - seriously.

For deep puncture or bullet wounds, tampons are great.

Yata hey
Duct Tape is also excellent for field dressing open wounds that require stitches. It sticks better than other tapes when there's a lot of blood involved. I keep duct tape, tampons andfeminine "mouse mattresses" in my 1st aid kit.
Gorilla Tape [sup]TM[/sup] is much better/stickier than regular duct tape.

Try it. I think you'll be surprised at the improved effectiveness.

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Tess wrote:
But to stay on topic -- my favorite T-shirt says "I have PMS and a gun. Any questions?"

Tess, do you wear that shirt while OCing in public? The idea of wearing such silly shirts greatly appeals to me, but somehow it seems to be something that could turn non gun people off , or just plain draw more attention to your OC, attention that may not always be joking banter.
No, I don't. I don't even own it. I just said it was my favorite.

Agreed on the shirts. I will once in a great while, depending on where I"m going and what I'm doing, wear the "If you don't like my gun rights, you can go straight to Heller." while carrying. I've been known to wear my VCDL shirts, or opencarry.org shirt, or another openly gun shirt if I'm going somewhere I'm prohibited from carrying. (Like today - wearing my 1911 earrings to work!) Usually, I don't even wear my "Warning - I have an attitude and I know how to use it" when I'm OCing.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

No logoed apparel and no bumper-stickers. An element of common law self-defense is 'be innocent of instigation.'

Early in my career, from which I am 14 years retired, we co-workers asked our Nuclear Engineering Manager to put our titles on our hardhats - more than the tangled-assh0le atom and Nuclear Engineering. His response is appropriate here too. We were to be known by our presence and our bearing. If someone doubted our authority then seek out a legitimate demonstration and do our job.

http://www.nnsy1.navy.mil/DeptLinks/test_division.htm

MichaelWDean

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No logoed apparel and no bumper-stickers. An element of common law self-defense is 'be innocent of instigation.'
Absolutely.

It's usually the younger ones who want that stuff. Older folks figure out it's a bad idea.

I've never been into it, somehow intuitively known not to do it, and intuitively known why.

A gun on your hip says all you need to say about your ideas on freedom, gun rights, the Constitution, and a whole lot more.

If a person who sees me carrying in public has questions beyond that, they can ask me. I'll be happy to tell them, politely and in as much detail as they're wiling to listen to. So far the only person who has asked me about it was a child, but I explained it. He "got it", and he dug it.

I'd recommend that anyone who feels a need to "advertise" their beliefs on their person or vehicle read the very excellent book You and the Police.

MWD

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Personally, I have chosen to wear a Va. Tech hat every since the day after Apr 16, 2007. I will not stop wearing it until the GA and the Tech administration allow the capacity for legal self-defense on campus.

It is non-confrontational and has generated many conversations.

VT hat + 1911 = message is clearly stated as to where I stand.

Yata hey

MichaelWDean

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Personally, I have chosen to wear a Va. Tech hat every since the day after Apr 16, 2007. I will not stop wearing it until the GA and the Tech administration allow the capacity for legal self-defense on campus.
Love it.

MWD

XD40coyote

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah I thought that was great when I saw you wearing that in Lancaster. I've been entertaining the idea of a VTech t-shirt to wear and OC with. Would a shirt with "Virginia Tech" in large letters while OCing be a bit much, or is it just right? Could anti folks misconstrue it and start arguing with me, call the cops because they are "scared",or something stupid? There are some Tech students in the area of PA I go to who are around in summer and stuff- I see bumper stickers and Hokies things and whatnot on cars now and then. For some reason a shirt like that is almost like ifI was wearing a Jeff Dahmer mug shot shirt and OCing. Confusing... ( or am I just making too much out of this and being OCD like Monk?)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah I thought that was great when I saw you wearing that in Lancaster. I've been entertaining the idea of a VTech t-shirt to wear and OC with. Would a shirt with "Virginia Tech" in large letters while OCing be a bit much, or is it just right? Could anti folks misconstrue it and start arguing with me, call the cops because they are "scared",or something stupid? There are some Tech students in the area of PA I go to who are around in summer and stuff- I see bumper stickers and Hokies things and whatnot on cars now and then. For some reason a shirt like that is almost like ifI was wearing a Jeff Dahmer mug shot shirt and OCing. Confusing... ( or am I just making too much out of this and being OCD like Monk?)
You know what they say about playing it too safe - the world would die out in one generation. :)

I don't really think that the risk of confrontation is that great.

I've never had an unkind word about my Tech hat and I am always OCing. There are some really good looking VT shirts out there - Wally World has some reasonable priced ones. My hats only cost $5.00 there.

Yata hey

XD40coyote

imported post

Grapeshot, I'd have to mail order a VT shirt, the stores around here don't sell them, but if you need any Penn State shirts and 20 other Penn State thingies, they can be found all over. I found the VT official store web site a while back, I'm going to have to check it out again. They had one shirt I thought was funny, had the Hokies turkey mascot on it. I have had pet turkeys, including pen raised wild ones, and still have 2 wild hens. One has just hatched some duck eggs, this should be interesting! So I think the Hokie bird is pretty funny being a TURKEY of all things!

Of note is that over 40 years ago my dad was attending NIU, and he was plain strange after that shooting, digging out his old as anything student ID and showing it to people ( he is definatly where I get my weirdness from).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot, I'd have to mail order a VT shirt, the stores around here don't sell them, but if you need any Penn State shirts and 20 other Penn State thingies, they can be found all over. I found the VT official store web site a while back, I'm going to have to check it out again. They had one shirt I thought was funny, had the Hokies turkey mascot on it. I have had pet turkeys, including pen raised wild ones, and still have 2 wild hens. One has just hatched some duck eggs, this should be interesting! So I think the Hokie bird is pretty funny being a TURKEY of all things!

Of note is that over 40 years ago my dad was attending NIU, and he was plain strange after that shooting, digging out his old as anything student ID and showing it to people ( he is definatly where I get my weirdness from).
Good selection and prices but no turkey/hokie bird T-shirts.
They do have a Hokie bird hat though.
http://www.hokiehut.com/t_shirts_c3857.htm

BTW - you are not weird, you are unique! :D

Yata hey

Legba

imported post

As for garments with iffy messages, I used to work at a paper mill where hard hats were required. I wrote "a bas l'etat" (with proper punctuation) on it,which went unnoticed until someone asked me to translate it in front of some supervisor. It onlythen became an issue, not because of the seditious message (supposedly) but because the use of markers on a hard hat might soften the plastic and render them ineffective safety devices. Funny how they weren't worried about my head getting crushed until then.

-ljp