• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jury Duty

dwayner79

imported post

I've been summoned.

I have to serve at the "Waterbury Superior Court" next week. In the pamphlet I was sent in the mail, they said,
" ARE THERE ANY ITEMS I SHOULD NOT
BRING TO COURT?
Jurors may not bring disruptive or potentially
dangerous items into the courthouse. A disruptive item
includes, but is not limited to, the following: a radio,
boom box, portable television, compact disc player/
recorder, or cassette player/recorder. Potentially
dangerous items include, but are not limited to, pocket
knives and sharp objects such as tools or knitting
needles. If you have any questions regarding what to
bring, contact Jury Administration at 1-800-842-8175.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/publications/ja005.pdf

I cannot find anything that would be prohibiting me from carrying. I am not ready to fight the OC fight on this one, but is there anything stopping me from carrying concealed?

Does anyone know if they have metal detectors, checks, etc. etc.

Right now, I am thinking about simply leaving it home (which I hate doing).

Edward Peruta

imported post

Firearms are not allowed in Court houses in Connecticut. The Judicial Department that controls the property has issued written directives and posted their buildings, so leave your weapons at home.

Ed Peruta

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Do they have any storage areas since you are required to show up.

I recomend that you call them and tell them you are planning on showing up armed and where can you store your weapon. Usually their security department can help you

modelo57

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Years ago (and I ain't tellinwhen) I used to deliver to many state facilities including prisons. The only place I had to declare and surrender my pistol for storage was the maximum security prisons in Cheshire and Enfield. The rest of them never even asked.

Today I would leave it home or the very least secured in your car and say NOTHING.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:

I recomend that you call them and tell them you are planning on showing up armed and where can you store your weapon. Usually their security department can help you
Do Not show up for jury duty armed!!! They do not supply ant type of storage area for juror items...Years ago you couldnt even bring in a cell phone with a camera, I was told to go all the way back to my car and put it in there...they have since changed that rule...however I can guarantee that you would cause one heck of a situation trying to get a weapon of any kind into the courthouse.

For any first timer that doesnt know...you must empty ALL your pockets and walk through a metal detector, just to get in the building...kind of like when you are flying, except they do let you keep your shoes on :D

rpyne

imported post

I can tell you a sure fire way to get dismissed from jury duty. Just show up carrying a pamphlet from the Fully Informed Jury Association http://fija.org .

Now if you actually want to be on the jury, FIJA has a brochure that can help you there as well.

GoldCoaster

imported post

rpyne wrote:
I can tell you a sure fire way to get dismissed from jury duty. Just show up carrying a pamphlet from the Fully Informed Jury Association http://fija.org .

Now if you actually want to be on the jury, FIJA has a brochure that can help you there as well.
As an aside, that web site is very informative, highly recommended to go there and read up on what they are all about and get the pamphlets.

BPK63

imported post

They have metal detectors when you go in the door and they also will not allow a cell phone with a camera. Lot of people have to go to their car to get rid of those.