• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain OC Policy?

Birdhunter

imported post

I OC'd today at the Gander Mtn on South 27th in Franklin. On my way out, I was told by an employee that while they support OC, I would still need to check the gun at the front desk, and that the chamber must be empty. I nodded affirmatively, but after I got out to the car, I started thinking about the stupidity of this.

I carry an XD, so in order to show an empty chamber, I'd have to drop the mag, open the chamber, then close the chamber and reload the mag. Certainly this can't be corporate policy? I can't imagine that they'd want people dropping loaded magazines out of their weapon right at the front desk?

Anyway, before I contact corporate, does anyone know the official GM corporate policy on OC?

P.S. Also OC'd at Steins on S. 27th street with no problems.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I think the employee is misinformed. To my knowledge that is only for Fire arms brought in for repair. You might want to call the manager. Or just try again.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I called and spoke to the store Manager "Steve" because I wanted to nip this one asap. He said he was the one who talked with you and that indeed, its ok to opencarry in the store, but FIRST they want you to stop and show them an empty changer.

So if I understand correctly, its exactly as you say. Stop, drop the mag, show an empty chamber, reload the mag. Makes no sense to me either.

Of course after I got off the phone with him, I thought to myself. I carry a revolver. What do I have to do? Be unloaded?

Guess I need to call him back.

Sajuuk

imported post

I've OC'd at that very same Gander Mtn with no issues. I'm positive it was seen, I was wearing khakis and a light shirt with the big black Sig on the front/right side. I spent a few minutes talking with the salesman in the firearms area about ammo and the lack of availability. I browsed for a little while after that, then headed out the front. Nobody said a word.

Like J.Gleason said, I believe itonly applies to firearms that require repair or trade-in. You check the case in at the front, and they zip-tie it. Perhaps they should make their sign more clear? Or we should just carry-on.. :cool:

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe try a manager from another store? Or get a hold of their district manager and ask him. This could just be the act of on manager and no corporate policy. I've OCed at the Gander out here and not really had a major issue.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Just got off the phone with a manager from another Gander Mountain store. His understanding from internal communication was that anyone bringing a firearm in for service/repair etc would stop and check the firearm since it would be handled. Anyone OC'ing should be left to have the gun in the holster as carriedsince it wouldn't be handled. He's going to touch base with the Manager from the Franklin store "Steve", and I'm going to follow up with Steve as well by email.

I was assured that Gander Mountain supports Open Carry and that there is not a policy of checking carried guns, only those brought in for service.

I'll report back when I follow up with the manager from Franklin.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Update:

I received an immediate call-back and email from the manager from the Franklin store Steve Welch who conferred with his management associates.

Gander Mountain's policy on OPEN OR CONCEALLED carry is that those firearms DO NOT need to be checked. He was aware that Gander Mountain fully supported open carry, but thought they were still suppose to check ALL firearms as per their signage.

Wanted me to pass along assurances to the membership here that Gander Mountain fully supports Open Carry and offers his apology to birdhunter for the misunderstanding this morning. He has instructed the remaining members of his staff in the Franklin store that Openly Carried firearms do not need to be checked.

Carry on!

edit: Firearms brought in for service/repair etc still need to be checked at the desk for safety purposes as they will be handled.

Birdhunter

imported post

Nice job Nik! I was busy doing yardwork today and you've already got it resolved before I could get to it- fantastic!!

Carry On!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Well done. I'm glad to hear things worked out. I always open carry at my local Gander Mtn and always without a problem. Wish I could say the same for Bass Pro Shop. Not very OC friendly over there. That's why I will continue to shop at Gander Mtn and keep mailing my receipts to the local Bass Pro and their headquarters so they know how much business they are loosing out on.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Well done. I'm glad to hear things worked out. I always open carry at my local Gander Mtn and always without a problem. Wish I could say the same for Bass Pro Shop. Not very OC friendly over there. That's why I will continue to shop at Gander Mtn and keep mailing my receipts to the local Bass Pro and their headquarters so they know how much business they are loosing out on.
Very nice tactic! I never thought of mailing recipt copies to unfriendly competitors. Does the Shooter's Shop come to anyone's mind? :lol:

Woodchuck

imported post

Good job handling this one in a good way. I Have heard of a couple others OCing at the GM in LaCrosse without issue. Glad to hear its their policy to support OC. Yea Gander, I just might start shopping there again.

Carcharodon

imported post

Thank for doing the leg work guys. I'm glad to hear that Gander Mountain supports us. Looks like I'll be buying my next gun there as a thank you to them.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Gander Mountain is a class act. Not only do they strongly support OC (not just pay lip service to it) but remember Gander Mountain does not seek public money to build stores. More than I can say for Cabela's.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When Sportsmen's was in business, I much favored their store due to lower prices and they were a bit closer. Now that Sportsmen's is MIA, I have begun going back to Gander in Waukesha (beautiful store). Now, I will be buying my next gun (long gun) from them here in a couple weeks as a showing of my appreciation. Thanks Nik for the leg work!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

yeah, I'm a little bummed I just picked up a crimson trace lasergrip from another source last week before all this. Really would like to stop in Gander and give them some business and could have purchased that there.

The Shooters Shop really lost out. In the past week I purchased another Smith and Wesson Airweight, a Kimber UltraCarry CPD, the Crimson trace grips, and 2 blackhawk cqc retention holsters. All or which would have been purchased from The Shoooters Shop like EVERY other gun I have purchased since moving to the Milwaukee area. Total spent around $1900. Hope the SS "no carry" policy is working out for them.