• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Expert Advice For A NEW Open Carry Gun

Drinking Beer

imported post

Hey guys, I need some expert advice for a new open carry gun.

I have been carrying my Desert Eagle since I purchased the gold model when it first came out. As everyone knows, that ammo supplies are dried up. I usually practice around 100 rounds a day to keep my skills refined but I ran out of 50cal ammo.:cuss:

So I need a new gun with more common ammo, because not everyone can handle the Deagle's power or price.

I like my Deagle because it fits my large hands, anything smaller I usually find difficult to hold. So I was thinking I need something big.

I need some advice for a new gun that has more common ammo then my Deagle but still has a large frame for a big guy like me. I was thinking I could get a 44magnum revolver. Maybe a snub nose 44magnum that I could fit into a fanny pack, I do have my concealed lisence to carry! :banghead:

Does anyone know how well the 44 magnums shoot? I think the recoil would not be a problem with a little 44 magnum snub nose, because I am used to shooting my big Deagle. Thanks for some advice fellows!

-Josh

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Try looking at handguns like a Glock 21. It's a double-stack .45 and has a pretty big frame imo. I've had mine for years even though the frame is just a litttle big for me. I think that pretty much anything that has a double-stack of .45 would fit your bill. Like one of the High cap Para Ordinance 1911s.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Smith and Wesson's Model 629 .44 Magnum with 6 1/2 inch barrel is what I would say would be a dandy sub for that Eagle. Comes standard with rubber grips.

I jes' luuuuuuve my 629. Butter-smooth DA trigger with a "surprise!" letoff so no flinchee and you don't "quit your sights" prematurely; SA trigger is crisp and clean and damn near "hair trigger". Sights? Mine has fixed front Baughman ramp with red insert, micro-adjustable rear leaf with white outline; and there is a fiber-optic front sight availiable.

Don't know what this says about me, but I was getting 2" groups at 7 yards with full-house Magnum loads SA, and DA at that range yielded 3 1/2" groups. The weapon also handles .44 Special, and with that load I can shoot similar groups ONE HANDED.

I carry mine in a GALCO D719WC/PMX128 which works for either side OR crossdraw (there are different loops for either and if you have a very wide belt there is a screw that can be removed).

Chili

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Try looking at handguns like a Glock 21. It's a double-stack .45 and has a pretty big frame imo. I've had mine for years even though the frame is just a litttle big for me. I think that pretty much anything that has a double-stack of .45 would fit your bill. Like one of the High cap Para Ordinance 1911s.

Glocks do have large grips, which would work well for large hands. They were a little large to me so I switched from a Glock 23 (4" .40) to the 4" XD .40, it just fits better.

As for the OP's question, the size of the grip is what you really need to focus on. There are small caliber guns with large grips and large caliber with smaller grips. As for common ammo, 9mm is probably your best bet for availability and price though many would rather have something with more stopping power. .357, .40 and .45 are all great choices. My recommendation would be to 1st decide type (wheel vs. auto), caliber, size (sub, compact, full) and then head to a store with a good selection to feel them in your hand.

The best thing to do, if available in your area, is head to a range that rents guns. Then you can try a variety to see what works best.

BTW, 100 rounds of .50 a day!?!? $$$$$$

WheelGun

imported post

Why not just join the service, where you get to play with all kinds of toys before you decide which of the civilian versions to purchase. Oh, that's right, we have some very basic mental health requirements to join. Never mind.

david.ross

imported post

If you want something with adjustable grips and ambidextrous releases, I recommend the XD(m).

I personally own a XD .45 and a glock 21. Glocks are lacking in a few areas, no ambidextrous release by default, the gun is more blocky and no secondary safety on the handle.

I purchased the Glock 21 to see if I could get used to the gun, there were just many little things which bothered me.

I recommend the XD(m) if you can stand using 9mm or .40 rounds.

If you're wanting to open carry I recommend you take a good hard look at what GOOD holsters are available, blackhawk serpa doesn't have as much retention as safariland. I use a Safariland 6280 with safety add-on increasing the level to III. I recommend going with at least a level II which can later be upgraded to level III.

(Safariland duty hoslters)
http://www.copsplus.com/dutyholsters.php?brand=309&perpage=100

There is little sense in having a gun you can't securely open carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KarateMaster96 wrote:
Hey guys, I need some expert advice for a new open carry gun.

I have been carrying my Desert Eagle since I purchased the gold model when it first came out. As everyone knows, that ammo supplies are dried up. I usually practice around 100 rounds a day to keep my skills refined but I ran out of 50cal ammo.:cuss:

So I need a new gun with more common ammo, because not everyone can handle the Deagle's power or price.

I like my Deagle because it fits my large hands, anything smaller I usually find difficult to hold. So I was thinking I need something big.

I need some advice for a new gun that has more common ammo then my Deagle but still has a large frame for a big guy like me. I was thinking I could get a 44magnum revolver. Maybe a snub nose 44magnum that I could fit into a fanny pack, I do have my concealed lisence to carry! :banghead:

Does anyone know how well the 44 magnums shoot? I think the recoil would not be a problem with a little 44 magnum snub nose, because I am used to shooting my big Deagle. Thanks for some advice fellows!

-Josh
Josh, er KarateMaster, while I understand your frustration with ammo availability, I'm thinking that if you want to stick with a large firearm maybe instead of a more common caliber you need to go to something even more powerful than the Desert Eagle so you just need to use less ammo. I just don't think you would be happy with the comparitive wimpiness of a .44 mag snub nose. I would think that something along the lines of this would be more your speed. And it has the added advantage of it being highly unlikely that anyone would ever use it against you as few people would be able to bring it on target let alone fire it without severe injury.

Just a thought ...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WheelGun wrote:
Sorry, that gun is not protected by the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment does not apply to zombies, only live humans.
Zombies? This has nothing to do with zombies. Now certainly that revolver may be considered an AOW by the BATFE and require a $200 tax but I don't think that is going to deter KarateMaster if that is what he really wants to carry.

WheelGun

imported post

Oh, sorry, it's used against zombies. I didn't read the technical specifications that clearly the first time. Hey, go for it then. Should look pretty impressive open carried.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Asking "What is the best carry gun?" is like asking "What is the best car to drive?"

I would think a "karate master" wouldn't need a firearm. :idea:

IMHO, The originator of this post seems ummmm "hinky"...

Alexcabbie

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Asking "What is the best carry gun?" is like asking "What is the best car to drive?"

I would think a "karate master" wouldn't need a firearm. :idea:

IMHO, The originator of this post seems ummmm "hinky"...
Old piece of 1970s uptown wisdom I heard from a guy on a construction crew I worked with back in 74: "I may not know Kung Fu, but I damn sure know Kung Gun! :celebrate

Michigander

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Old piece of 1970s uptown wisdom I heard from a guy on a construction crew I worked with back in 74: "I may not know Kung Fu, but I damn sure know Kung Gun! :celebrate
Here is another quote:

Why doesn't someone pull out a 45, and bang, settle it?

Bruce Lee