Thread: Bus Carry

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

I was wondering if anyone knows the "rules" of OCing on buses. Yes, I know to carry loaded you must have your CPL. What I'm more interested in is whether or not Transit Authorities can refuse service or trespass you. I'm guessing if they are funded by state/city/locality etc. preemption applies and they cannot refuse you service, but what about a private transit company? More specifically, anyone have experience with the WTA in Bellingham?

Post imported post

carhark wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone knows the "rules" of OCing on buses. Yes, I know to carry loaded you must have your CPL. What I'm more interested in is whether or not Transit Authorities can refuse service or trespass you. I'm guessing if they are funded by state/city/locality etc. preemption applies and they cannot refuse you service, but what about a private transit company? More specifically, anyone have experience with the WTA in Bellingham?
    Public cannot, private can say "no."
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

State Researcher

Post imported post

RCW 9.91.025 is all you need to know. Also if you read the FAQ stickied at the top of the page, # 7 reads
    7) Can I carry on a bus?
    You may carry loaded either openly or concealed in any bus or light rail vehicle if you possess a CPL. The law states that you must have a CPL to carry loaded in "any" vehicle. RCW 9.91.025 (Unlawful bus conduct) protects the right to carry a gun or ammunition in a fashion not otherwise prohibited by law on a MUNICIPAL TRANSIT VEHICLE (Greyhound is not a municipal transit vehicle).

No experience with WTA, but they have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Post imported post

I always thought the Whatcom Transit Authority was a county owned operation. But im also not sure on that.

Id also like to say hi to everyone for I am new here. Been creepin around the site forawhile learned a lot of good stuff.

State Researcher

Post imported post

B-Nut wrote:
    I always thought the Whatcom Transit Authority was a county owned operation. But im also not sure on that.

Id also like to say hi to everyone for I am new here. Been creepin around the site forawhile learned a lot of good stuff.
    The key words are "Transit Authority". That makes them a municipal corporation, and subject to state preemption laws, and 9.91.025. I've OC'd on transit up and down the Puget Sound from Olympia to Everett, and my only problem came strangely enough when I was CCing and carrying a cased longarm. Go figure.

It's legal. The trick is convincing the transit agency of it and making sure local LEO's are on the same page as understanding OC is legal.

Post imported post

Yes, it is legal on public busses. However, if you get a misinformed/confrontational driver, expect to be inconvenienced. Most probably won't care, but you may get a subspecies of the "fare nazi."
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

I open carry on metro all the time.So far I havn't run into any drivers that have said anything.You do have to have a CPL as previously mentioned to carry in any manner on public trnsportation.

Post imported post

:celebrateGo back a little under thethread on Island Transit update. There are several threads all total on what happened on Island transit other than we won. I can make for interesting reading.