• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greensboro native here:

asharris7

imported post

Hi all! Been reading this site for awhile and have to say, it is very informative. Lot's of good people on here and it's refreshing. A little history about me.

Served in the U.S. Coast Guard for 7 years from 97-04 ( had a VA CCW which expired in Nov 08 :(

Just applied for my NC one today .....ahhhh 90 days...

I carried almost everyday when I was in the service in Virginia. I got out of the military and had to sell most of my guns due to new baby and transition.

I am now a salesman in the pharmaceutical industry and have just recently started to replenish my arsenal. On hand I have the New HK45, Stag AR-15, Mossy Tactical Persuader, and Tikka T3 30-06----a very versatile arsenal:)

My interest in carrying again started the other day when 3 guys in a car (road rage fingers exchanged) chased me for about 10 miles. They were riding my tail and passed me in a 2 lane road in an attempt to pull in front of me and stop me. I had NO gun in the car(wish I did) but I had a Federal Hydrashok .45ACp bullet in my car. I showed it to them when they pulled up beside me, smiled really big, and they took off after that. I am glad they didn't call my bluff because I would have been screwed.

In the interim, I called around to a few different county Sheriff’s dept's and got conflicting info on OC. I even tried to educate them on NC State law.......their explanation was that most cities have certain ordinances that loophole through the state law. Also got a few quotes like " this isn't like the westerns, you just can't do that." Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and rant a little bit.

Nice to meet you all!

chiefjason

imported post

My mom works for the local PD. Uneducated on OC is an understatment. I do it anyway and it drives her a bit crazy. Seems the sheriffs have a better understanding of it. The way I look at it is that it is not illegal and trying to arrest/prosecute me for something that is not illegal will become very expensive for them. I'm also waiting on my CCP, my wife does not like OC very much when she is with me. Marital bliss trumps the law! :lol:

asharris7

imported post

TFED12 wrote:
Probably not a good idea to show someone a bullet in the context that you did. IMHO.
Hmm..and why not? I was trying to get them off my tail. .....it worked...maybe i got lucky:D

TFED12

imported post

asharris7 wrote:
TFED12 wrote:
Probably not a good idea to show someone a bullet in the context that you did. IMHO.
Hmm..and why not? I was trying to get them off my tail. .....it worked...maybe i got lucky:D

To answer your question, I will use your own quote.

"I am glad they didn't call my bluff because I would have been screwed."

So, really, you answered your own question.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

ocgso

imported post

You need to read this:

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html

State v. Kerner ruling says that local ordinances cannot prohibit open carry on private property (including your car, and businesses you frequent). Any such ordinances are overridden by the state constitution and are unconstitutional.

A business can ask you to leave, and if you do not they can charge you with trespassing. Signs that say no weapons are specifically for concealed weapons and do not apply to OC (again because of that whole nagging constitutional right thing). However, they still have the right to ask you to leave and cancharge you with trespassing if you refuse.

I have had a lot of looks and questions in Greensboro, but never been asked to leave an establishment. Been OC'ing there for nearly a year.

Know your rights, know the laws, and enjoy carrying.