• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage OC Picnic

EM87

imported post

The next open Carry picnic in the Kalamazoo area will be on August 9 from 1:00 to 4:00pm at Westfield Park in Portage.

There's a lot of space for a lot of people, including a pavilion with picnic tables and a grill, a playground (for all of those youngsters at heart), tennis courts, a beach volleyball court, and basketball hoops. There are bathrooms there as well. The best part is that there is no illegal firearms ordinance! (Not that it would matter if there was.) There is an ordinance against alcohol, in case any of you were wondering.

There are two parking lots, but we will be closest to the one on the east end near the pavilion, so park there for your convenience. The park is on Milham, and the closest cross streets are 12th and Milham.

Link to map: (Thanks, Zig)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,-85.64832&spn=0.010407,0.023303&z=16&iwloc=A

Turning off of 12th onto Milham, going east, the park entrance (the second lot, not the first) is on the left about a fifth of a mile or so down the road.

Here's a list of things we'll need:

Grill - ZZZ
Dogs/Buns - ZZZ
Brats/Buns - SA-XD
Burgers/Buns -
Spices for the meat -
Potato Salad -
Dessert -
Chips -
Condiments -
Cooler - EM87 (But we'll need more than the one that I have for the drinks other than the bottled water.)
Ice - EM87
Water - EM87
Pop -
Napkins/Paper Towels -
Paper Plates -
Plastic Ware -
Video Camera/Camera - ZZZ
Signs -
Paper handouts -

I'll start out by volunteering to bring a couple cases of bottled water, as well as a cooler full of ice to keep it all cold.

Please RSVP by posting to this thread as attending or maybe attending, and if you plan to bring guests, include that number as well. As with all of our picnics, everyone is welcome whether they carry or not.

It's gonna be a grand ol' time!

hopnpop

imported post

I should be there but don't know how many +'s, or what I'll be bringing yet. Will get sorted out as we get a little closer to date (still 1/2 my belongings in boxes from the move). Have a TON going on between now and then... but at minimum, I'll be there with something.

SA-XD

imported post

Hey everyone! I just got my first handgun and was interested in finding one of these picnics. So +1 for me! And I'll bring some food (dogs brats burgers whatever) but I don't have a grill that I can bring.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SA-XD wrote:
Hey everyone!  I just got my first handgun and was interested in finding one of these picnics.  So +1 for me! And I'll bring some food (dogs brats burgers whatever) but I don't have a grill that I can bring.

Welcome SA-XD. Please go to your "My Account" page (upper right-hand corner) and add your location to your profile. Look forward to meeting you.

EM87

imported post

SA-XD wrote:
Hey everyone!  I just got my first handgun and was interested in finding one of these picnics.  So +1 for me! And I'll bring some food (dogs brats burgers whatever) but I don't have a grill that I can bring.

Thanks for volunteering supplies! I'll put you down for brats and buns. Welcome to OCDO!

hopnpop

imported post

SA-XD, welcome! I must say, I like your interests on your profile... cars attached to guns, guns attached to cars... Tell you what, if we ever build a parade float, I'll nominate you to drive it, how's that? That would surely be some type of car/gun combo! Now I got myself thinking of something new for next year's Doo-Dah Parade. Be even better if we could get our hands on this BBQ grill, check it out - wouldn't this be awesome for our picnics???.....

EM87

imported post

Bumping this thread to promote the event to people who haven't seen it or forgot about it.

The picnic is less than a month away! Who's going to attend? Who's going to bring supplies?

Please RSVP to this thread if you plan on attending. If you are able to bring supplies, please post that as well.

Thanks!

bigdaddyj

imported post

I was wondering if there were others that like to disc golf. I like to disc golf quite a bit, and I thought it might be a good idea to OC while doing so. I go to Knollwood all the time. I think this would be a great place to educate people on the issue. I read the sign at the park and the only thing not allowed there was alcahol. I do know that it is run by the City of Kalamazoo, althought I'm not sure if it is considered WMU campus or not. If someone living in the area could enlighten me on this issue or if any others are interested in OCing while Disc Golfing it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that this is off topic of the Portage OC picnic but i didn't really think starting a new thread was really nessacarry.

EM87

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
I was wondering if there were others that like to disc golf.  I like to disc golf quite a bit, and I thought it might be a good idea to OC while doing so.  I go to Knollwood all the time.  I think this would be a great place to educate people on the issue.  I read the sign at the park and the only thing not allowed there was alcahol.  I do know that it is run by the City of Kalamazoo, althought I'm not sure if it is considered WMU campus or not.  If someone living in the area could enlighten me on this issue or if any others are interested in OCing while Disc Golfing it would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry that this is off topic of the Portage OC picnic but i didn't really think starting a new thread was really nessacarry.

I live literally right next to Knollwood and used to go discing all the time. I OCed there and never had any problems (as it should be.) It's city property, not WMU.

bigdaddyj

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I live literally right next to Knollwood and used to go discing all the time. I OCed there and never had any problems (as it should be.) It's city property, not WMU.
Do you still go? If so i will pm you my phone # so we could go an OC. I have yet to do so b/c I don't want to be the only one OCing, ad I want to OC with someone that knows the laws beter than I do. Also if anyone has any of the pamphlets i could get (my printer is being a piece of *@&%.) I woul really appreciate it.

EM87

imported post

It's not so much about whether I still go or not as much as it's "When do you want to go? :D I'd be happy to go any time I'm free. Later today? I'll PM you my number so in case you read this today you can call me.

cabman1

imported post

Ill be there with moc and 2nd amendment banners I am gonna try to find a folding table cheap before then!!!and ill bringthe potato salad!!!!