• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new guy

John L

imported post

Hey everyone, I've been on OC.org for a few months mainly just researching but I figured i would make a thread and say hi.I livein elizabeth city, i havent seen any open carry dinners in my area yet though:(.

Anyways I have a question aswell, I was living in Va and bought a 1911 from a private seller because im 18. Can I OC in north carolina at 18? would i need to carry something to prove i bought the gun in VA since i dont have a nc purchase permit?

thank you

Adam H

imported post

§ 14‑269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.
(a) Any minor who possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(c) The following definitions apply in this section:
(2) Minor. – Any person under 18 years of age. (1993, c. 259, s. 1; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 5; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 597, s. 1.)
Looks like you're legal.

As for carrying proof that you bought the handgun in Virginia, you don't need it. You don't have to prove you bought it legally, the state has to prove you bought it illegally. Besides, there's nothing that says an 18-20 year old can't get a pistol purchase permit.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

John L wrote:
Hey everyone, I've been on OC.org for a few months mainly just researching but I figured i would make a thread and say hi.I livein elizabeth city, i havent seen any open carry dinners in my area yet though:(.

Anyways I have a question aswell, I was living in Va and bought a 1911 from a private seller because im 18. Can I OC in north carolina at 18? would i need to carry something to prove i bought the gun in VA since i dont have a nc purchase permit?

thank you

Welcome John ,

I am kind of new here myself . Are you thinking about getting a Concealed Carry Permit also ? Got mine in JAN 09 and worried about someone seeing the gun . That is what lead me here .

mekender

imported post

Adam H wrote:
(a) Any minor who possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(2) Minor. – Any person under 18 years of age. (1993, c. 259, s. 1; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 5; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 597, s. 1.)
Looks like you're legal.

As for carrying proof that you bought the handgun in Virginia, you don't need it. You don't have to prove you bought it legally, the state has to prove you bought it illegally. Besides, there's nothing that says an 18-20 year old can't get a pistol purchase permit.
true, but ive only heard of 2 cases of a 18-20 year old getting one, both were cases of inheritance... i dont know of any sheriff that will issue them to people under 21 as a matter of course...

John L

imported post

Adam H wrote:
Looks like you're legal.

ok thanks

BRobb19 wrote:
yeah, sheriff's wont issue pistol purchase permits in NC until you are 21.
yeah thats what i heard

R a Z o R wrote:

Welcome John ,

I am kind of new here myself . Are you thinking about getting a Concealed Carry Permit also ? Got mine in JAN 09 and worried about someone seeing the gun . That is what lead me here .

yes i am but sadly ill have to wait a few years

thanks for the welcome and answers guys