• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to post... new to open carry.... GREAT FIRST POLICE EXPERIENCE

cranny

imported post

Hello everyone,

i just started open carrying about 2 weeks ago and had a great experience. I was at cabelas looking at flashlights last week (open carrying my xd 40), i was lookingat themin the display case when i noticed a uniformed officer approaching me. I said "hello sir how are you doing" and turned slightly so he could see my pistol. The officer looked at my pistol and then back up at me and said "pretty good" he started looking at the surefire flashlights right next to me andnever turned around to see where i was or what i was doing.The officerstarted asking the clerk about the flashlights and turned to me and said "i didnt cut you off in line didi?" I said"no,it looks like you are in a hurry anyway" then we both kind of laughed it off. The officer ended up buying a surefire light. I thanked the officer for his service andthat was that.

I was extremely suprised because of the fact that im only 19 years old. The officer didnt treat me any differently, or make me hand over my gun. I was very happy to have this great experience!!!:lol:

zx-twitch

imported post

yea glendale cops are pretty cool about it. I have herd of more people having problems with cabelias employees than cops. although I was there last week and the biggest problem was trying to get the sales guy to point me in the right direction of the bullets I wanted. He just wanted to talk about my new pps (as he wanted to buy one too)

reconvic

imported post

Just a note all laws signed take 90 days to take effect so you were lucky, and dealt with an experienced. Officer.
Vic

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

reconvic wrote:
Just a note all laws signed take 90 days to take effect so you were lucky, and dealt with an experienced. Officer.
Vic
I guess I'm not getting something. What are you talking about?

reconvic

imported post

After the Governor signs off on a bill passed by the senate it takes 90 days to actually go into effect and that is why many LEO don't know it yet as an example.
S/F Vic

reconvic

imported post

A rookie LEO may not know the laws and it would just cause a little hassle but in the end he would win. Politics' is very touchy.
S/F Vic

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK. I don't get the connection between the governor signing off on a bill and his being lucky.But that's ok, there are lots of things I don't get. :)Your location doesn't show where you're from, do you live in AZ?

reconvic

imported post

I live in Mesa Az., and I am better at shooting then typing many times so please bear with me. By being lucky all I meant is if he had a cocky LEO that day they could have delayed him until he would be informed by his Captain.I will try to express myself more clearly in the future sorry.
S/F Vic

reconvic

imported post

Thank you and glad to meet you all. Anytime anyone local wants to go shooting send me a PM. I will be at Scottsdale Gun Club tomorrow shooting with other match shooters, so I will not be on till late afternoon, but I shoot at Phx. Rod and Gun Club, Don Platt runs it and a good friend. I also shoot and help as a range officer at Caswels which is 10 minutes from my house, everyone there knows me and I help in IDPA and ASP Baton Classes as well.
S/F Vic