• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to California

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Well - as the post states, we are going to CA to meet up with about 30 others from the family in San Diego. I am flying there from Phoenix. I am happy to see the family, but really not looking forward to it from the gun law perspective...it's really a joke not to be able to defend myself or my wife. If I had an option, I would have asked everyone to come to Arizona, lol.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

I know what you mean Sonora, it's going to be very odd for me as I am used to carrying for protection. I was trying to figure out how to take my conceal firearm at minimum...but the laws out there are so awful, there is nothing I can do especially since I am flying...Even if I was to find a way to takemyhandgun, the laws prohibit it from being loaded and I can't conceal at all...makes no sense. Then I have to worry if I amOC'n with a unloaded gun of being harrasedfrom theLEO's out there. I really wish I could have had the option for the familly to meet out here in God's country....

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I would never go west of the Colorado. Forany reason... ever again.

AZkopper

imported post

San Diego county DA has offered his opinion of Unloaded Open Carry (it's legal) and there have been several UOC gatherings. SD is kind of the ground zero for UOC. You might want to look into that.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Thanks for the advice, I actually did communicate with a few guysthat are part of that movement. They created videos that are on YouTube on OC'n in CA...pretty good stuff.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flying is the easy part. Declare your (unloaded) gun with your checked baggage, and you can fly with handguns into California all day long (just make sure you don't bring any magazines with greater than 10-round capacity).

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Now this is the part I am curious about Marshaul. Do I need to put my handgun in a separate container and then declare it or can I add it to my checked luggage and declare it? Not sure how that all works...and I don't want to cause a scene at the airport either for doing something stupid.

zx-twitch

imported post

it must be in a hard case that is lockable. but the case can be added to a suitcase. putting it in a suitcase is preferred or it will not come out at baggage claim. you will have to pick it up at the lost luggage desk.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The specific policies depend on the carrier, although the TSA does have some regs too.

Basically, the weapons need to be unloaded and locked in a hard case (stiff plastic will suffice). Ammo must be separate, and boxed properly (manufacturer's packaging is sufficient).

I've been hassled once about my cases (they open slightly with the locks still on, but not enough to remove the guns), but after I assured them that they are the manufacturers' cases that the weapons originally came shipped in, TSA was mollified.

Read the following:

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(2236)

One thing to keep in mind: TSA's own regs are that the key or combo to the case MUST REMAIN IN YOUR SOLE POSSESSION. I've had TSA guys ask me for the combo, and I've had to say, "No, I must be the only person in possession of the combination. Slide the case over here and I'll remove the lock, if you like."

Always double-check the policies of you carrier, in case they have a limit on ammo, or whatnot.

Edit: The only time I wouldn't put the gun case inside a suitcase is with a long gun. Which I have yet to fly with, anyway.

davesnothere

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Edit: The only time I wouldn't put the gun case inside a suitcase is with a long gun. Which I have yet to fly with, anyway.
And that's easy too.

Just get a double locking rifle case so the plastic can't be flexed away from the weapon and allow the weapon to be removed.

I flew out of California with one of my childhood .22 Marlins and had zero problems.

I can't ever take that "assault" rifle back now though, since it has a tube feed with a capacity of 17 rounds.

Ah, bolt action, .22 LR assault rifles. Who'd a thunk it?

davesnothere

imported post

Ahhh. Didn't know about that provision. I was under the false assumption that 10 rounds was the limit.

Now here's a question for the smart guys in CA...

If you have a 10 round magazine, is that permissible considering that one in the chamber and 10 in the mag (10+1) is technically 11?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

davesnothere wrote:
Ahhh. Didn't know about that provision. I was under the false assumption that 10 rounds was the limit.

Now here's a question for the smart guys in CA...

If you have a 10 round magazine, is that permissible considering that one in the chamber and 10 in the mag (10+1) is technically 11?
The law specifies the capacity of the magazine itself. This means the magazine cannot hold more than 10 rounds. An 11th round in the chamber still has not put more than 10 rounds in the magazine. :)

Of course, without a permit I'm not sure how many opportunities you'll have to load up all the way, unless you go to a range or out in the boonies. :(

reconvic

imported post

Recently my son who is 28 who lives in AZ. He was traveling to San Diego and at the border told them he had a gun. They detained him for about 2 hours and then Cali DPS came by and told him the laws and removed the 15 round mag out of his Glock and put it in the trunk, and he didn't have one in the hole so they gave him the gun back and told him to remember the laws in the future and was released. He carries only OC and is not like me a gun lover but brought it for self protection. The key was he told the truth!
S/F Vic

usdm419

imported post

I've never had them ask me if I had firearms at the AZ-CA border, and I make that trip 5+ times a year. However, once across the border I remove the magazine, and place the pistol in the trunk.

reconvic

imported post

They never asked my son, he offered the information to them in case they did a search. I told him to ask me next time before leaving AZ. to another state and I will let him know the laws.
S/F Vic