Post imported post

Get $500 from West Palm Beach police for reporting guns

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...gunbounty.html

Banned

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    Get $500 from West Palm Beach police for reporting guns

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...gunbounty.html
    Ah, Florida, the land where the people learn, at a young age, to meddle in their neighbours' affairs and to rat them to Stasi.

Post imported post

I support open carry as well as concealed carry and I live in FL. This is an example of LE and lawmakers trying to brainstorm ideas how to nab illegal posession. I have the same issue with it as you do, namely that if my gun were to print, I'll have a police officer all up in my bidness. I do support the removal of arms from people who have them illegally, and there has to be some sort of solution to keep the weapons in the hands of the good guys.

I'm open to ideas.

Post imported post

Cuandoman wrote:
    I support open carry as well as concealed carry and I live in FL. This is an example of LE and lawmakers trying to brainstorm ideas how to nab illegal posession. I have the same issue with it as you do, namely that if my gun were to print, I'll have a police officer all up in my bidness. I do support the removal of arms from people who have them illegally, and there has to be some sort of solution to keep the weapons in the hands of the good guys.

I'm open to ideas.
    If someone is bad enough to be prohibited from keeping and bearing arms, they should either be in prison or in a mental institution. Otherwise, prosecute the crime committed, not the object possessed. Possession of an object, any object, does not convey intent to misuse that object.

Post imported post

Criminals are not going to stay in prison forever. We all know that there's many convicted felons who are now out of the joint, with guns.

Don't belive me?

Chris Rock once said, "If a friend calls you on the telephone and says they're lost on Martin Luther King Boulevard and they want to know what they should do, the best response is ‘Run!’"

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    Cuandoman wrote:

I'm open to ideas.
    If someone is bad enough to be prohibited from keeping and bearing arms, they should either be in prison or in a mental institution. Otherwise, prosecute the crime committed, not the object possessed. Possession of an object, any object, does not convey intent to misuse that object.

Banned

Post imported post

Love the comments section there.

Post imported post

OK well this article is dated June 19, 2009. It states they allocated enough for 10 rewards. Does anyone know the status of this program down in Palm Beach?

Personally I don't think I have an initial problem with this. Someone see's me heeled. They call me in resulting in LEO showing up and figuring out I am legal. No effect other than some minor bother. It is the person ILLEGALLY packing that has a problem.

Yeah I know sometimes LEO can be a pain. But I have always found if you treat them with respect they treat you with respect. Just be firm, be polite, and they get the message. Never had a problem with them.

I like this approach a heck of a lot better than the gun buy back programs a lot of municipalities are running these days. Those programs make me sick to my stomach.

Reb

Banned

Post imported post

rebel-patriot wrote:
    Personally I don't think I have an initial problem with this. Someone see's me heeled. They call me in resulting in LEO showing up and figuring out I am legal. No effect other than some minor bother.
    If only that was always the case...

It is the person ILLEGALLY packing that has a problem.
    Illegally should mean ex-cons, children, and mentally unsound. Unfortunately those who haven't paid the infringement tax of their 2A right into a privilege for $117 will get screwed.

Gun owners, guilty until proven innocent, with a nice bounty on our heads if we don't pay illegal taxes.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    It is the person ILLEGALLY packing that has a problem.
    Illegally should mean ex-cons, children, and mentally unsound. Unfortunately those who haven't paid the infringement tax of their 2A right into a privilege for $117 will get screwed.

Gun owners, guilty until proven innocent, with a nice bounty on our heads if we don't pay illegal taxes.
    I agree with you in spirit N6ATF. But before gun ownership, I am an American. I was born an American, I will live an American, and I will die an American. I dont like the laws as they stand but will obey them and work ever diligently to get them changed. Which is why I decided to join this group and persue this issue passionately. It is long overdue, We as Americans have been quiet too long. Lets remove the bounty, the hidden taxes. Lets walk tall and heeled through our communities. Lets get it straight once and for all.

All the best
    Reb

Post imported post

Cuandoman wrote:
    This is an example of LE and lawmakers trying to brainstorm ideas how to nab illegal posession. I have the same issue with it as you do, namely that if my gun were to print, I'll have a police officer all up in my bidness. I do support the removal of arms from people who have them illegally, and there has to be some sort of solution to keep the weapons in the hands of the good guys.

This is a pretty well conceptualized, though seriously underfunded, program. Seems to me, anyway. I would be in favor of continuation of funding such a program if it produced illegal guns and illegal thugs for incarceration.

Who on earth could be against taking illegal guns and thugs who carry them off the street!!!??? Hmmmm. I think I know...

Cuandoman wrote:
    I'm open to ideas.
    As information only.....that is not necessarily a well regarded quality amongst pro-gun rights (or anti-gun rights) groups....

Live in a tough neighborhood? Get $500 from West Palm Beach police for reporting guns

By ANDREW MARRA

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 19, 2009

WEST PALM BEACH — Live in a rough 'hood surrounded by gun-packing thugs? Quick cash is a phone call away.

Under a new program announced this morning, anyone who spots people packing heat in West Palm Beach can call Palm Beach County Crime Stoppers anonymously and could receive a $500 reward.

The West Palm Beach Police Department will cough up $500 each time such a phone call leads to recovery of the weapon and an arrest for unlawful firearm possession.

Police say the program, modeled after similar efforts in Miami and Orlando, is different from traditional gun buyback programs because it seeks to nail the gun-wielders themselves.

"Ours actually goes after the felon," West Palm Beach police Lt. David Bernhardt said. "When you see the thousands of dollars we spend on a criminal investigation, $500 is nothing."

The police department has set aside $5,000 for the program — enough to dole out 10 full rewards. Bernhardt said that if it is a success officials will find money to continue giving out payments for gun arrests even after the initial money is depleted.

"We hope this will help to alleviate the violent crime," he said.

Anyone who sees an armed person can anonymously call Crime Stoppers at (800) 458-8477 (TIPS).

Information leading to recovery of the gun and an arrest on a weapons charge will result in a $500 reward.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    Illegally should mean ex-cons, children, and mentally unsound.
    Illegally should mean ex-cons, and mentally unsound.

Banned

Post imported post

It shouldn't be illegal for 5 year olds to conceal carry (pack heat) unsupervised?

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    It's legal for 5 year olds to conceal carry unsupervised?
    First, the legal definition of "child" is anyone under 18 years old.

Second, There was nothing said about "concealed". This IS OpenCarry.org

Third, the term was SHOULD not IS.

Banned

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    It's legal for 5 year olds to conceal carry unsupervised?
    First, the legal definition of "child" is anyone under 18 years old.

Second, There was nothing said about "concealed". This IS OpenCarry.org

Third, the term was SHOULD not IS.
    1. I can't find "child" legally defined in FL law. It is a vague term anyway, since we are all someone's child, the age of criminal responsibility varies by state and country, and it is often defined as between birth and puberty (which is how I used it, since 5 year olds are between birth and puberty). Now if I had used "juvenile"...

2. Since open carry is banned in FL I thought that was the only thing that COULD be said. The quoted word was "packing". Even the article said "gun-packing" and "packing heat", which is nearly always defined as concealed carry, rightly so.

3. ... fine, semantic man, question edited.