• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in vehicle

kkopp2005

imported post

If you have your GFL, can you open carry on yourself while driving? Meaning can I have my pistol in a holster on my hip while driving or do I have to take it off and either place it in plan site or in a glove box?

madpegtod

imported post

Yes. Anywhere on your person. Concealed or open. Concealed must be in a holster. IANAL.

Jonas Salk

imported post

kkopp2005 wrote:
If you have your GFL, can you open carry on yourself while driving? Meaning can I have my pistol in a holster on my hip while driving or do I have to take it off and either place it in plan site or in a glove box?
With or without a GFL, in Georgia, you can carry concealed or openly anywhere inside your vehicle.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2007_08/versions/hb89_HB_89_AP_14.htm

[size=(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. ][/size](e)[size= This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle][/size]

A holster is not required inside a vehicle, but I'd recommend one for keeping the firearm steady and in one location if possible.

[size=c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container.][/size]

rmodel65

imported post

Jonas Salk wrote:
kkopp2005 wrote:
With or without a GFL, in Georgia, you can carry concealed or openly anywhere inside your vehicle.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2007_08/versions/hb89_HB_89_AP_14.htm

[size=(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.](e)[size= This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle]

A holster is not required inside a vehicle, but I'd recommend one for keeping the firearm steady and in one location if possible.

[size=c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container.]

if your eligible(meaning a resident 21+ and not prohibited) for anyone else its very hard to open carry(pretty much impossible with respect to case law)