Thread: Is it legal to carry a sword in Virginia?

Post imported post

I am under 18, and I want to know if it is legal to carry a sword in public in the state of Virginia. It is about 4 feet long and YES, it DOES have a sheath. I was wondering if it's legal to carry the sword around in it's sheath? Not like whip it out at people and demand a fight, but could I get arrested for just having it in public?

Thanks!

Post imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:
    I am under 18, and I want to know if it is legal to carry a sword in public in the state of Virginia. It is about 4 feet long and YES, it DOES have a sheath. I was wondering if it's legal to carry the sword around in it's sheath? Not like whip it out at people and demand a fight, but could I get arrested for just having it in public?

Thanks!
    IANAL, but I thik that VA doesn't prohibit carrying any weapon that is legal to posess otherwise. The prohibition isagainst concealmentand CHP is an expemtion as far as concealing a pistol is concerned.

I'd check with someone else though, since I may be wrong. Also, I'd consider the sanity of a message you are sending by carrying a full size sword in 21st century, unless, of course, you are talking about a reenactment even of some sort...

Post imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:

Thanks!
    Also, I'm not sure if it would be legal given that you aren't a legal adult. I missed this part in my previous post...

Post imported post

Well I mean just like carry it at my side when I walk around sometimes (NOT CONCEALED). Keeping it in it's sheath and in plain sight, ya know?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:
    Well I mean just like carry it at my side when I walk around sometimes (NOT CONCEALED). Keeping it in it's sheath and in plain sight, ya know?
    Why? Because you want to? OK.

Knife laws / edged weapon laws are diverse from city to city and county to county so I doubt that anyone can give you a concise answer.

Some municipalities limit blade length of knives to 3" others slightly less or more.

Knives, swords and such are not covered by state preemption in Va.

You do not indicate in which municipality you reside.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I think it would probably depend on the situation. I've seen lots of Scottish broadswords carried at The Richmond Highland Games, but I think that carrying the same sword on Broad Street, even wearing a kilt, would be asking for trouble.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Post imported post

I am of Highland Scots decent. One of the more ancient Clans. I own a few rather deadly type 'claymores'... basket hilts and broadswords. I have a collection of Confederate Civil War swords of various types... and a brace of Cutlasses. If i had to fight with any of them... the 11th century broadsword or the 1851 patternAmes cutlass would be my choice. That said... if you have not been taught the sword and do not practice the sword; it's pretty much useless. If you really want self defense... I'd suggest aBuckler shield and a war hammer or short axe connected to serious attitude.

You will:

Attract unwanted attention

Get pegged as a goof

Get it stuck in closing doors

Knock over chairs

Sweep stuff off tables

Cut yourself

Centurion

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    KleinKiesling wrote:

Thanks!
    IANAL, but I thik that VA doesn't prohibit carrying any weapon that is legal to posess otherwise. The prohibition isagainst concealmentand CHP is an expemtion as far as concealing a pistol is concerned.

I'd check with someone else though, since I may be wrong. Also, I'd consider the sanity of a message you are sending by carrying a full size sword in 21st century, unless, of course, you are talking about a reenactment even of some sort...
    You also need to worry about judges creatively finding that a sword in a sheath is somehow "concealed". I remember a case in Milwaukee where someone was convicted of carrying a "concealed" weapon for having a Buck folder in the leather belt case on his belt. Robert Heinlien wrote in one "Glory Road" that the protagonist was arrested for carrying a "concealed weapon" for carrying a sword in a sheath, I think it was in Boston, but that was fiction.

Centurion

Post imported post

I have often thought about carrying a sword or a bowie knive on my belt, but as I can carry a pistol, I have not done it much in Arizona. I have a Bowie that I intended to use as my "National Park" sidearm, but after February, I can use a pistol there as well.

On freerepublic, one of the posters used a belt knife to dispatch a bear that was attacking his dog (who was defending the poster) up in the wilderness in Canada.

Post imported post

Post imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
    I have often thought about carrying a sword or a bowie knive on my belt, but as I can carry a pistol, I have not done it much in Arizona. I have a Bowie that I intended to use as my "National Park" sidearm, but after February, I can use a pistol there as well.

On freerepublic, one of the posters used a belt knife to dispatch a bear that was attacking his dog (who was defending the poster) up in the wilderness in Canada.
    Bears? OK... Inasmuch as I'd seriously doubt the veracity of that claim... it's been done. Not w/o scars... but it's possible. I would add it's not possible for me... 'cause in that event I'd prob'ly just drop dead from fright. If nothing else, I'm a realist. Bears scare the bejeezuz outt'a me. Daniel Boone I ain't.

You may openly carry any 'arms' in Arizona. My sometimes blade is a Gerber MK II, altho I have about 100 and some others of a serious nature. (I used to be a collector of sorts.) I use the Gerber 'cause the sheath fits the rest of the Bianchi stuff. The big Bowies are clunky. If you haven't trained with the knife... don't consider it. Stickin' people is no video game... and I don't care what Steven Seagal does. Joe Average will puke in the process.

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    I'm certainly not a swordsman but I'd imagine it takes a bit of room to swing and parry and thrust and all the rest of that Three Musketeers jive.
    The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). The sabre/cutless is much heavier and the broadsword is either hand and a half or two handed to be wielded with effect. Whole different style of fighting. (think pirates and knights) Hack and poke... not much dancin' around. It takes a lot of room... and considerable strength to keep at it with a similarly armed opponent. Against someone with a knife... possibly... against a gun... Hell NO!

I suspect the Katana is a bit lighter, but I have no experience with those.

The smallish roundel (buckler) shield however... coupled with the war axe or hammer (and much yelling) would put most thugs to flight.

1. You're crazier than they are

2. Thatmasked helmetis intimidating

Berserk comes from the Nordic 'Berserker'. Vikings were scary dudes.

Centurion

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    ccwinstructor wrote:

Bears? OK... Inasmuch as I'd seriously doubt the veracity of that claim... it's been done. Not w/o scars... but it's possible. I would add it's not possible for me... 'cause in that event I'd prob'ly just drop dead from fright. If nothing else, I'm a realist. Bears scare the bejeezuz outt'a me. Daniel Boone I ain't.

You may openly carry any 'arms' in Arizona. My sometimes blade is a Gerber MK II, altho I have about 100 and some others of a serious nature. (I used to be a collector of sorts.) I use the Gerber 'cause the sheath fits the rest of the Bianchi stuff. The big Bowies are clunky. If you haven't trained with the knife... don't consider it. Stickin' people is no video game... and I don't care what Steven Seagal does. Joe Average will puke in the process.
    Today, I can easily defend my assertion and show that you skepticism is unfounded:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1670661/posts

Post imported post

"There can be only one."

Post imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
    Today, I can easily defend my assertion and show that you skepticism is unfounded:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1670661/posts
    Quote: "He had a lot of cojones to do what he did,"

Yer a better man thanI am Gunga Din!

Post imported post

I wonder what difference it would make as to whether or not it was sharp, or costume. also do you fence? are you proficient?
    if you wish to become proficient look up the local chapter of the SCA(sca.org), or a a club that practices WMA(western martial arts)

Post imported post

Bearing an unsharp 'costume' sword is akin to carrying a toy gun. Fencing isn't sword... it's fencing. SCA... now that's closer to the reality of it all. 'Lay to... with a will' OW-ow.... ow... ouch... ow... (thud).

Post imported post

whats under 18? like 12? 13?

just curious

Post imported post

Post imported post

If I carried a sword, it would be a katana. Katanas (and related swords of different blade lengths) are actually usable for self-defense, thanks to the possibility of Iaidō techniques.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    I am of Highland Scots decent. One of the more ancient Clans. I own a few rather deadly type 'claymores'... basket hilts and broadswords. I have a collection of Confederate Civil War swords of various types... and a brace of Cutlasses. If i had to fight with any of them... the 11th century broadsword or the 1851 patternAmes cutlass would be my choice. That said... if you have not been taught the sword and do not practice the sword; it's pretty much useless. If you really want self defense... I'd suggest aBuckler shield and a war hammer or short axe connected to serious attitude.

You will:

Attract unwanted attention

Get pegged as a goof

Get it stuck in closing doors

Knock over chairs

Sweep stuff off tables

Cut yourself

Sonora Rebel,you are fast becoming my favorite poster on this forum.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Bill in VA wrote:
    I'm certainly not a swordsman but I'd imagine it takes a bit of room to swing and parry and thrust and all the rest of that Three Musketeers jive.
    The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). The sabre/cutless is much heavier and the broadsword is either hand and a half or two handed to be wielded with effect. Whole different style of fighting. (think pirates and knights) Hack and poke... not much dancin' around. It takes a lot of room... and considerable strength to keep at it with a similarly armed opponent. Against someone with a knife... possibly... against a gun... Hell NO!

I suspect the Katana is a bit lighter, but I have no experience with those.

The smallish roundel (buckler) shield however... coupled with the war axe or hammer (and much yelling) would put most thugs to flight.

1. You're crazier than they are

2. Thatmasked helmetis intimidating

Berserk comes from the Nordic 'Berserker'. Vikings were scary dudes.
    Somewhat related, there's a tv show called "Deadliest Warriors" where they use modern technology to try to determine who would win a fight between, um, warriors. This particular episode: Viking vs. Samurai http://www.spike.com/full-episode/vi...-samurai/31558

Now ya know about the katana and vikings in the same show! /bow (no, I'm not telling you the outcome, look for yourself)

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). ...
    Yeah. I actually did take fencing years ago and was on my school fencing team for a while as well. (A bit of a joke, looking back at it now. Nonetheless, I was on the fencing team.) In fencing the foil and the epee are two different weapons, not the same. The three main fencing weapons are the foil, epee, and sabre; all three use different rules and different types of attack (ex., slash with a sabre, thrust/stab with a foil.) Enough of this thread highjacking.En garde!
    Technique with Foil and Epee are about the same. Yeah... I know... the Epee's thicker. Developed from the Rapier. Fencing sabres and the'sword' are not even in the same ballpark. Fencing is not sword... sword isfor killing.

Post imported post

A rapier is a sword... a real rapier, that is.

The rapier was basically the pinnacle of European sword technology, finally surpassed by the gun.

Or did you just mean the modern sport tools exclusively?

Post imported post

Rapiers are for gentlemen... swords arefor butchers.