• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry a sword in Virginia?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I am of Highland Scots decent. One of the more ancient Clans. I own a few rather deadly type 'claymores'... basket hilts and broadswords. I have a collection of Confederate Civil War swords of various types... and a brace of Cutlasses. If i had to fight with any of them... the 11th century broadsword or the 1851 patternAmes cutlass would be my choice. That said... if you have not been taught the sword and do not practice the sword; it's pretty much useless. If you really want self defense... I'd suggest aBuckler shield and a war hammer or short axe connected to serious attitude.

You will:

Attract unwanted attention

Get pegged as a goof

Get it stuck in closing doors

Knock over chairs

Sweep stuff off tables

Cut yourself
Sonora Rebel,you are fast becoming my favorite poster on this forum. :lol:

NightOwl

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
I'm certainly not a swordsman but I'd imagine it takes a bit of room to swing and parry and thrust and all the rest of that Three Musketeers jive.
The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). The sabre/cutless is much heavier and the broadsword is either hand and a half or two handed to be wielded with effect. Whole different style of fighting. (think pirates and knights) Hack and poke... not much dancin' around. It takes a lot of room... and considerable strength to keep at it with a similarly armed opponent. Against someone with a knife... possibly... against a gun... Hell NO!

I suspect the Katana is a bit lighter, but I have no experience with those.

The smallish roundel (buckler) shield however... coupled with the war axe or hammer (and much yelling) would put most thugs to flight.

1. You're crazier than they are

2. Thatmasked helmetis intimidating

Berserk comes from the Nordic 'Berserker'. Vikings were scary dudes.

Somewhat related, there's a tv show called "Deadliest Warriors" where they use modern technology to try to determine who would win a fight between, um, warriors. This particular episode: Viking vs. Samurai http://www.spike.com/full-episode/viking-vs-samurai/31558

Now ya know about the katana and vikings in the same show! /bow (no, I'm not telling you the outcome, look for yourself)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). ...
Yeah. I actually did take fencing years ago and was on my school fencing team for a while as well. (A bit of a joke, looking back at it now. Nonetheless, I was on the fencing team.) In fencing the foil and the epee are two different weapons, not the same. The three main fencing weapons are the foil, epee, and sabre; all three use different rules and different types of attack (ex., slash with a sabre, thrust/stab with a foil.) Enough of this thread highjacking.En garde!
Technique with Foil and Epee are about the same. Yeah... I know... the Epee's thicker. Developed from the Rapier. Fencing sabres and the'sword' are not even in the same ballpark. Fencing is not sword... sword isfor killing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A rapier is a sword... a real rapier, that is.

The rapier was basically the pinnacle of European sword technology, finally surpassed by the gun.

Or did you just mean the modern sport tools exclusively?