• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry a sword in Virginia?

KleinKiesling

imported post

I am under 18, and I want to know if it is legal to carry a sword in public in the state of Virginia. It is about 4 feet long and YES, it DOES have a sheath. I was wondering if it's legal to carry the sword around in it's sheath? Not like whip it out at people and demand a fight, but could I get arrested for just having it in public?

Thanks!

Chaingun81

imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:
I am under 18, and I want to know if it is legal to carry a sword in public in the state of Virginia. It is about 4 feet long and YES, it DOES have a sheath. I was wondering if it's legal to carry the sword around in it's sheath? Not like whip it out at people and demand a fight, but could I get arrested for just having it in public?

Thanks!

IANAL, but I thik that VA doesn't prohibit carrying any weapon that is legal to posess otherwise. The prohibition isagainst concealmentand CHP is an expemtion as far as concealing a pistol is concerned.

I'd check with someone else though, since I may be wrong. Also, I'd consider the sanity of a message you are sending by carrying a full size sword in 21st century, unless, of course, you are talking about a reenactment even of some sort...

Chaingun81

imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:

Thanks!
Also, I'm not sure if it would be legal given that you aren't a legal adult. I missed this part in my previous post...

KleinKiesling

imported post

Well I mean just like carry it at my side when I walk around sometimes (NOT CONCEALED). Keeping it in it's sheath and in plain sight, ya know?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KleinKiesling wrote:
Well I mean just like carry it at my side when I walk around sometimes (NOT CONCEALED). Keeping it in it's sheath and in plain sight, ya know?
Why? Because you want to? OK.

Knife laws / edged weapon laws are diverse from city to city and county to county so I doubt that anyone can give you a concise answer.

Some municipalities limit blade length of knives to 3" others slightly less or more.

Knives, swords and such are not covered by state preemption in Va.

You do not indicate in which municipality you reside.

Yata hey

celticredneck

imported post

I think it would probably depend on the situation. I've seen lots of Scottish broadswords carried at The Richmond Highland Games, but I think that carrying the same sword on Broad Street, even wearing a kilt, would be asking for trouble.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I am of Highland Scots decent. One of the more ancient Clans. I own a few rather deadly type 'claymores'... basket hilts and broadswords. I have a collection of Confederate Civil War swords of various types... and a brace of Cutlasses. If i had to fight with any of them... the 11th century broadsword or the 1851 patternAmes cutlass would be my choice. That said... if you have not been taught the sword and do not practice the sword; it's pretty much useless. If you really want self defense... I'd suggest aBuckler shield and a war hammer or short axe connected to serious attitude.

You will:

Attract unwanted attention

Get pegged as a goof

Get it stuck in closing doors

Knock over chairs

Sweep stuff off tables

Cut yourself

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
KleinKiesling wrote:

Thanks!

IANAL, but I thik that VA doesn't prohibit carrying any weapon that is legal to posess otherwise. The prohibition isagainst concealmentand CHP is an expemtion as far as concealing a pistol is concerned.

I'd check with someone else though, since I may be wrong. Also, I'd consider the sanity of a message you are sending by carrying a full size sword in 21st century, unless, of course, you are talking about a reenactment even of some sort...
You also need to worry about judges creatively finding that a sword in a sheath is somehow "concealed". I remember a case in Milwaukee where someone was convicted of carrying a "concealed" weapon for having a Buck folder in the leather belt case on his belt. Robert Heinlien wrote in one "Glory Road" that the protagonist was arrested for carrying a "concealed weapon" for carrying a sword in a sheath, I think it was in Boston, but that was fiction.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I have often thought about carrying a sword or a bowie knive on my belt, but as I can carry a pistol, I have not done it much in Arizona. I have a Bowie that I intended to use as my "National Park" sidearm, but after February, I can use a pistol there as well.

On freerepublic, one of the posters used a belt knife to dispatch a bear that was attacking his dog (who was defending the poster) up in the wilderness in Canada.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
I have often thought about carrying a sword or a bowie knive on my belt, but as I can carry a pistol, I have not done it much in Arizona. I have a Bowie that I intended to use as my "National Park" sidearm, but after February, I can use a pistol there as well.

On freerepublic, one of the posters used a belt knife to dispatch a bear that was attacking his dog (who was defending the poster) up in the wilderness in Canada.

Bears? OK...:question: Inasmuch as I'd seriously doubt the veracity of that claim... it's been done. Not w/o scars... but it's possible. I would add it's not possible for me... 'cause in that event I'd prob'ly just drop dead from fright. If nothing else, I'm a realist. Bears scare the bejeezuz outt'a me. Daniel Boone I ain't.

You may openly carry any 'arms' in Arizona. My sometimes blade is a Gerber MK II, altho I have about 100 and some others of a serious nature. (I used to be a collector of sorts.) I use the Gerber 'cause the sheath fits the rest of the Bianchi stuff. The big Bowies are clunky. If you haven't trained with the knife... don't consider it. Stickin' people is no video game... and I don't care what Steven Seagal does. Joe Average will puke in the process.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
I'm certainly not a swordsman but I'd imagine it takes a bit of room to swing and parry and thrust and all the rest of that Three Musketeers jive.
The Muskateer thing was done with the Epee (foil). The sabre/cutless is much heavier and the broadsword is either hand and a half or two handed to be wielded with effect. Whole different style of fighting. (think pirates and knights) Hack and poke... not much dancin' around. It takes a lot of room... and considerable strength to keep at it with a similarly armed opponent. Against someone with a knife... possibly... against a gun... Hell NO!

I suspect the Katana is a bit lighter, but I have no experience with those.

The smallish roundel (buckler) shield however... coupled with the war axe or hammer (and much yelling) would put most thugs to flight.

1. You're crazier than they are

2. Thatmasked helmetis intimidating

Berserk comes from the Nordic 'Berserker'. Vikings were scary dudes.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
ccwinstructor wrote:

Bears? OK...:question: Inasmuch as I'd seriously doubt the veracity of that claim... it's been done. Not w/o scars... but it's possible. I would add it's not possible for me... 'cause in that event I'd prob'ly just drop dead from fright. If nothing else, I'm a realist. Bears scare the bejeezuz outt'a me. Daniel Boone I ain't.

You may openly carry any 'arms' in Arizona. My sometimes blade is a Gerber MK II, altho I have about 100 and some others of a serious nature. (I used to be a collector of sorts.) I use the Gerber 'cause the sheath fits the rest of the Bianchi stuff. The big Bowies are clunky. If you haven't trained with the knife... don't consider it. Stickin' people is no video game... and I don't care what Steven Seagal does. Joe Average will puke in the process.

Today, I can easily defend my assertion and show that you skepticism is unfounded:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1670661/posts

sha-ul

imported post

I wonder what difference it would make as to whether or not it was sharp, or costume. also do you fence? are you proficient?
if you wish to become proficient look up the local chapter of the SCA(sca.org), or a a club that practices WMA(western martial arts)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bearing an unsharp 'costume' sword is akin to carrying a toy gun. Fencing isn't sword... it's fencing. SCA... now that's closer to the reality of it all. 'Lay to... with a will' OW-ow.... ow... ouch... ow... (thud).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I carried a sword, it would be a katana. Katanas (and related swords of different blade lengths) are actually usable for self-defense, thanks to the possibility of Iaidō techniques.