Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian Inn

Post imported post

So, I finally got a response from the Bavarian Inn here in Frankenmuth after they asked me to cover up and told me I couldn't even carry concealed in there. I had to send them another message, but I finally got a response, and from their President too... it's not good news.

I'm responding right now, just to point some things out. I really suggest nobody goes to ANY of the places they own (Bavarian Inn Restauraunt, Inn, shops, etc...)

Dear Nathan Nephew,

Thank you for your email on our policy on legal firearms. I have been associated with firearms all of my life, from a young boy with hunting, target practice and for varmint control on the farm. I have continued hunting through the past 60 years to this day. While serving in the Army during the Vietnam war era, I had hours of weapon training. I have a good understanding of your and my 2nd amendment rights.

As a private business owner, we also have our rights and responsibilities. Most important is our guests’ safety and satisfaction. The visitor perception of a welcoming and protected environment is crucial. All of our team strives to continually provide a comfortable atmosphere for our guests.

People have the right to smoke; it offends other customers and, therefore, we have limited the smoking that occurs within our building. A mother has the natural right to breastfeed her infant which may embarrass other guests; thus we ask them to be discreet as well as provide a private area for this natural process of feeding their child. If there is a screaming child in our dining room, we do our best to discreetly approach and assist the parent. Some businesses also post the policy of “no shirt, no shoes, no service” so as to not offend any customers.

Michigan has enacted a concealed weapon permit process which allows all law-abiding citizens with a clean record to discreetly carry your weapon. We have no policy against concealed carry with the proper permit as provided by Michigan legislation. Here at the Bavarian Inn we have established a No Open Carrying of Firearms policy for the peace of mind of our guests. The Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn is a family dining, lodging, and shopping environment.

We look forward to serving you in the future in a hospitable and enjoyable manner.

Sincerely,
    William A. Zehnder, President
    FRANKENMUTH BAVARIAN INN

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I can respect that policy. At least it was thought out.

I don't have to like it, but I can and will respect it.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    I can respect that policy. At least it was thought out.

I don't have to like it, but I can and will respect it.
    Same. He seems like a reasonable person, and I respect that.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

I agree. But I still won't spend my money there... I don't like being classified as a less important customer.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    I agree. But I still won't spend my money there... I don't like being classified as a less important customer.
    Same as people that smoke. There are those that choose to spend their money elsewhere for any number of reasons.

I probably wouldn't have spent my money there anyway (never even been to the city before, and if I do, I won't need the services of an Inn).

Post imported post

hmmm well I have no need of his hospitality as hospitality does not ward of BG's
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    SQLtables wrote:
    Same as people that smoke. There are those that choose to spend their money elsewhere for any number of reasons.

I probably wouldn't have spent my money there anyway (never even been to the city before, and if I do, I won't need the services of an Inn).
    Yea.

It's called the Bavarian Inn, but I was just in the Restaurant. They have a ton of shops and whatnot too.. and carriage rides, and of course the lodge.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    hmmm well I have no need of his hospitality as hospitality does not ward of BG's
    Right and they are really discriminating against those without CPLs.

Post imported post

Zhender's? do you know if they are OC friendly? I usually go there, never been into the bavarian inn to eat, although I have shopped there... guess I won't be anymore...

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

How bout a special area for Open Carry?

Post imported post

I am sorry to hear that, but once again I must point out that this is only a symptom of success. When 1/5 or more of the businesses in the state have no guns signs at their entrances, we'll have completed our goal of educating the people of Michigan.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    I said the exact same thing, and in fact, might put that suggestion in my response haha

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I am sorry to hear that, but once again I must point out that this is only a symptom of success. When 1/5 or more of the businesses in the state have no guns signs at their entrances, we'll have completed our goal of educating the people of Michigan.
    Yes, but as far as I know, this isn't a new policy.

Post imported post

Funny I did not see the "right to smoke" in the Constitution, or the state constitution.

I wanna know is this policy posted/ If not I think I shall try to dine! NOT!

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    Funny I did not see the "right to smoke" in the Constitution, or the state constitution.

I haven't seen a posting, and I've looked in all of the shops and the restaurant.

Post imported post

I'm not shure what the big deal is the food isn't very good there anyway.

Post imported post

When my wife and I visited the Muth, we stayed at the Bavarian Lodge I believe it was. Definitely not the Inn, I OC'd the whole time there, and was seen by several hotel employees, wide eyed and all, never once in our three days and two nights there did anyone say anything to me. We ate dinner at Zehnders, but since I don't have my CPL and they serve alcohol, I was unable to OC there. OC'd at the McD's just north of town and again, no problems there. Overall, a very positive experience.

Post imported post

the500kid wrote:
    I'm not shure what the big deal is the food isn't very good there anyway.
    QFT!!!

I will never, ever eat the chicken up there again. I might have just had a bad batch, as it was the all you could eat @ Zehnders, but it was horrible! I will stick to KFC and even better Chicken Shack, before I'd ever eat that oversalted dry arse, overpriced "poultry" again.

Harumph.

Post imported post

This is confusing, but the Bavarian Inn is not a hotel or anything. The "Lodge" is the Bavarian Inn Lodge, which is just another part of their business. According to Mr. Zehnder, the Lodge has a no OC policy too.

All of this is owned by the Bavarian Inn. They own River Place, which is basically an outlet mall type thing, so I wonder if they have a no OC policy there too, even though they don't own the businesses in there, just the property. I OC there all the time. I'l check into it.

http://www.bavarianinn.com/

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    This is confusing, but the Bavarian Inn is not a hotel or anything. The "Lodge" is the Bavarian Inn Lodge, which is just another part of their business. According to Mr. Zehnder, the Lodge has a no OC policy too.

All of this is owned by the Bavarian Inn. They own River Place, which is basically an outlet mall type thing, so I wonder if they have a no OC policy there too, even though they don't own the businesses in there, just the property. I OC there all the time. I'l check into it.

http://www.bavarianinn.com/
    You'd know better than I, we stayed at the "hotel" just over the wooden bridge, I was told there was a difference between it and the actual Bavarian Inn. Either way, I OC'd everywhere I could whilst in the Muth, including the outlet and, erm, what's the name of the joint with huge omletts?

Again, from check in at the front desk until we left, checked out by phone the only time I was not OCing in the "hotel" was when we went swimming, for obvious reasons, although, after reading the torture test on the XD's I'll admit, I was tempted Not a single incident, mebe they thought I was LE, hard to imagine, as some of the cats who've met me could probably agree, but not a word.

Edit: just clicked your link, and yep, that's the place

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:

Just as I'd expect people to honor the "no smoking" signs, I'd expect people to honor the "no guns" signs, if there are any. Now that we know the policy, I'll respect it.

I also won't be visiting their property as a result. One of those benefits of a free country is that they can choose which customers they'd like to market themselves to, and we can choose to vote with our dollars by shopping elsewhere.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I respect the response, even though I don't agree with it. I have been going to Zhenders ever since I was a little kid. Not to mention all of the little shops including the penny candy store with the indian out front. I'm bothered by this, but the fact is that I may go back and eat there at some point. I dunno guess I'm torn in a way.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

Now that is down right FUNNY.

Smoking and non smoking areas

Now a Gun open carry area and a concealed area.

What would the the sign look like

The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

LaVere wrote:

But that guy is brandishing! Not cool man.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I liked the analogy the owner used to explain his position. He makes a really good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast