Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Small (neutral) confrontation at Leith VW today

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    So, I went to get my car cleaned at the detail bays behind Leith VW in Cary, NC today.

    I was there for about 30 minutes when I was approached by a sales person who asked if I was a police officer.
    I informed him that I was not, and he told me I couldn't have my firearm on the property.
    I asked where this was posted, and he told me that there was a sign at the entrance.
    We talked for a little bit (I go to this location frequently) about the fact that I have never seen any signs, and I'm pretty usually observant.
    He said there was a sign at the back entrance to the lot.
    (I could see a few guys in the office talking about me) and we walked over to them as the guy who was dealing with me wanted to ask them where the other signs were.

    I asked more about where the signs were located, while assuring that I wasn't trying to be difficult or cause problems. He just asked that I put the firearm in the car till I left.
    We then hopped on a golf cart, and he took me to one of the signs.
    It does in fact say "no firearms allowed on this property".
    We discussed the legality of one sign (at the employee entrance) and nowhere else.

    Before I left, I drove around the entire lot and checked entrances and buildings for signage. There is none anywhere else.

    I went back in to speak with him about this. (I had the feeling the other guys had the problem, and he was elected to confront me.)
    I got the general managers number and I will be calling him tomorrow about the sign, or lack of appropriate signage.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    Signs against concealed weapons must be posted by "conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises."

    Conspicuous notice has been held to mean at every entrance. Furthermore, posting only applies to buildings, not parking lots (with the exception of schools, which is a separate statute).

    Signs against open carry are meaningless and carry no legal weight.

    (but if asked to leave and do not, can lead to a trespass charge)

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    So, I went to get my car cleaned at the detail bays behind Leith VW in Cary, NC today.

    I was there for about 30 minutes when I was approached by a sales person who asked if I was a police officer.
    I informed him that I was not, and he told me I couldn't have my firearm on the property.
    I asked where this was posted, and he told me that there was a sign at the entrance.
    Do we have some sort of contageous disease inducing our members to ask businesses to post?

    How many times do we have to tell people, never ask the business to post - by demanding notice, you are defeating the purpose of open carry and making it harder for others to OC.

    Don't ask, don't tell, & don't encouragethe establishment to be posted.

    If a private business asks you to leave, then just leave.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post


    They told me it was posted.
    I asked where.

    No where did I ASK them to post it.

    It is also hard to leave WHEN MY CAR IS IN THEIR BAY.

    Maybe I didn't make that clear in my OP. They told me there was signage.
    Overall, they didn't seem to mind that I was armed, they just wanted me not to be in the future. I will be in the future unless proper signs are placed.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    208

    Post imported post

    hehe,

    i guess youll just hafta tuck it in the trousers next time and just flash them a nice big smile.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    They told me it was posted.
    I asked where.
    Sorry, from your post, it appeared you asked firt, a implied suggestion for them to post if they have not already:

    "I informed him that I was not, and he told me I couldn't have my firearm on the property. I asked where this was posted"

  7. #7
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    So, I went to get my car cleaned at the detail bays behind Leith VW in Cary, NC today.

    I was there for about 30 minutes when I was approached by a sales person who asked if I was a police officer.
    I informed him that I was not, and he told me I couldn't have my firearm on the property.
    I asked where this was posted, and he told me that there was a sign at the entrance.
    We talked for a little bit (I go to this location frequently) about the fact that I have never seen any signs, and I'm pretty usually observant.
    He said there was a sign at the back entrance to the lot.
    (I could see a few guys in the office talking about me) and we walked over to them as the guy who was dealing with me wanted to ask them where the other signs were.

    I asked more about where the signs were located, while assuring that I wasn't trying to be difficult or cause problems. He just asked that I put the firearm in the car till I left.
    We then hopped on a golf cart, and he took me to one of the signs.
    It does in fact say "no firearms allowed on this property".
    We discussed the legality of one sign (at the employee entrance) and nowhere else.

    Before I left, I drove around the entire lot and checked entrances and buildings for signage. There is none anywhere else.

    I went back in to speak with him about this. (I had the feeling the other guys had the problem, and he was elected to confront me.)
    I got the general managers number and I will be calling him tomorrow about the sign, or lack of appropriate signage.
    A sign at the employees entrance to me indicates that it is the intention of the management that their employees not carry any firearms on the property.

    As there is no signage anywhere else, I would take it as an employee policy and not applicable to customers.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    RayBurton72 wrote:
    Signs against concealed weapons must be posted by "conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises."

    Conspicuous notice has been held to mean at every entrance. Furthermore, posting only applies to buildings, not parking lots (with the exception of schools, which is a separate statute).

    Signs against open carry are meaningless and carry no legal weight.

    (but if asked to leave and do not, can lead to a trespass charge)
    +1

    Everyone should read this and follow it to a tee.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    They told me it was posted.
    I asked where.

    No where did I ASK them to post it.

    It is also hard to leave WHEN MY CAR IS IN THEIR BAY.

    Maybe I didn't make that clear in my OP. They told me there was signage.
    Overall, they didn't seem to mind that I was armed, they just wanted me not to be in the future. I will be in the future unless proper signs are placed.
    I disagree. If they have that attitude, I inform them that I will no longer frequent their establishment and leave. I would make it clear to them when I got my car back that they will no longer handle the service on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •