• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanna be new gun owner

Randomhero

imported post

Hello all

As the subject says I'm a wanna be gun owner, for home protection as I jest bought a house next to a not so nice part of town. But there's a problem when I was twenty Y.O.(I'm 32 now)I got caught with a joint downat the New Jersey shore, would that disqualify me for being a gun owner. It was a mistermeaner, I live in Pennsylvania now. Any advise would be appreciated.

chiefjason

imported post

If it's for home protection you may want to look into a short shotgun. They are typically easier to buy, but depends on your area. Go to a local big box store and give it a try. I would get a 12 guage with the shortest barrel you can, 18.5" to 20". You'll find out really quick if you can or not. That will set you up for home protection.

Then start checking out handguns. If you have not been around many guns, the jump to a handgun might be a bit impractical for defense. You have one round to get on target whereas with a shotgun you have a larger number of pellets to hit the target. A handgun is aim and fire. A shotgun is point and fire. Much more forgiving. My .02 anyway. Good luck.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Randomhero wrote:
Hello all

As the subject says I'm a wanna be gun owner, for home protection as I jest bought a house next to a not so nice part of town. But there's a problem when I was twenty Y.O.(I'm 32 now)I got caught with a joint downat the New Jersey shore, would that disqualify me for being a gun owner. It was a mistermeaner, I live in Pennsylvania now. Any advise would be appreciated.

Once you have made sure of the law , the Mossberg HS410 home security six shot shotgun with 18"barrel and spreader choke was my choice . It is ideal for close action shooting in home defense situations . I put a rear pistol grip on it and an ammo sling . The sling holds 3 buckshot and 3 slugshots . The shotgun is loaded with birdshot so as not to shoot thru walls . I ordered the rear grip directly from Mossberg for about $ 20. , be sure to state .410 because it is about a 1/4 inch narrower .

The .410 has much less kick or recoil than a 12 gauge . The .410 has the power of a .45 however .

Hope the legal situation is OK .

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
as far as I'm aware of the only misdemenor that would cause you to get a red flag is domestic violence
WRONG. In PA, any drug offense is a guaranteed denial.

Il Duce,

I just went through the PA statutes pertaining to firearms and didn't find anything that would suggest that Randonhero would be denied ownership of a firearm, due to his mistermeaner drug charge 12 years ago. Had it been a felony charge it would be different.

He might could even get his License to Carry.

Johnny_B

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
as far as I'm aware of the only misdemenor that would cause you to get a red flag is domestic violence

Il Duce,

I just went through the PA statutes pertaining to firearms and didn't find anything that would suggest that Randonhero would be denied ownership of a firearm, due to his mistermeaner drug charge 12 years ago. Had it been a felony charge it would be different.

What i was thinking from the statues ive come across none address Mistemeaners other than domestic violence. Feloney drug convictin and your %@&$%d

Maybe im wrong but could you show me the statue for mistemeaner drug charges in PA that i may not know of?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnny_B wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:

Il Duce,

What i was thinking from the statues ive come across none address Mistemeaners other than domestic violence. Feloney drug convictin and your %@&$%d

Maybe im wrong but could you show me the statue for mistemeaner drug charges in PA that i may not know of?
Right, that's the way I read them.

bigdaddyj

imported post

In 2006 i got caught with weed and was put on probation for 2 yrs. After i completed my probation it was whiped off PUBLIC record. I just bought a Ruger .44 mag Super Redhawk last Oct. with no issues or problems. I was also told that it wouldn't be held against me when applying for a CPL b/c the only ones that could access it was the military doing a background check if I was trying to join.

LEO 229

imported post

If I recall correctly... there is a federal law that covers being in possession of a firearm and using drugs.

I do not believe being convicted on a drug charge is the same thing and so it would not prohibit you from making a FFL purchase in your case.

I am not a lawyer and this is not advice to go purchase a firearm.
If you are in doubt.. please do your own researchand be sure you are not breaking any laws.

Only take advice from an attorney you have firstpaid. :p

Chili

imported post

I would look into it further if I were you. If it was not a felony or domestic violence you may be okay. I could see it barring you from getting a concealed carry license depending on your state but not all gun ownership outright.

I would also look into the possibility of getting it expunged from your record. Many states will allow something like that to be expunged once a certain amount of time has passed with no repeat offenses.

Randomhero

imported post

Thanks for the advise guys, I knew it would be helpful to ask here. Looks like I'm going gun shopping. Thanks

Legba

imported post

The ATF guidelines are that anyone convicted of any drug offense within the previous year is considered a "current" drug user and ineligible to obtain a firearm on that basis, although a misdemeanor marijuana charge may not even show up on the radar. Depends on the specific charge and particular jurisdiction (minor misdemeanors may just be payable tickets and not even require a hearing), whether the complaint was heard in a court of record (mayor's court judgments won't show up), etc.

State laws vary considerably. A minor misdemeanor marijuana conviction in Ohio will not prevent you from getting a gun, but it will keep you from getting a carry permit, unless/until such conviction gets vacated/expunged/pardoned.

-ljp

LEO 229

imported post

Legba wrote:
The ATF guidelines are that anyone convicted of any drug offense within the previous year is considered a "current" drug user and ineligible to obtain a firearm on that basis, snipped

-ljp

I did not know this.... do you have a link to take us there to see it?

Thanks

MSC 45ACP

imported post

If you're authorized by law to "Keep and Bear Arms", I would suggest a .12 ga shotgun as someone has mentioned in a previous post. A pistol takes some time to become comfortable with and even more time to master.

The absolute BEST home-defense weapon is a scared woman with a 12-lb cast-iron skillet. Don't get a gun unless you are absolutelyprepared (mentally)to take the life of another. If you do make this very serious decision, I would suggest a reliable shotgun.

My personal favorite would be a Remington 870 "Riot Gun" with an 18" barrel. I would suggest loading it with birdshot if your home is less than 20 or 30 years old or you live in an apartment or trailer so you don't shoot someone asleep in another room. If your home is more sturdy and you aren't worried about shooting through walls, OO (pronounced Double-Ought) buckshot would be more than sufficient for your needs.

I've worked on Mossbergs and Remingtons and found Remingtons to be more durable and reliable over the years. You can probably find a good 870 for $200-$300.

Legba

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Legba wrote:
The ATF guidelines are that anyone convicted of any drug offense within the previous year is considered a "current" drug user and ineligible to obtain a firearm on that basis, snipped

-ljp

I did not know this.... do you have a link to take us there to see it?

Thanks
That info was from an "industry operations" ATF agent during a phone call. A guy wanting to buy a gun who had a prior misdemeanor marijuana conviction in Ohio asked how to answer the "illegal user of controlled substances" question, since he obviously had done so in the past. I called ATF for advice about how he should respond on the 4473 form, andthat was what The Man said. Not sure there's a handy link I can provide - I think it's buried in the US Code/Gun Control Actsomewhere. Will look into it.

-ljp

JeffinWesternWA

imported post

If your NOT a regular shooter, a shotgun can be overwhelming, ...a 20 GA short barrel "open choke" pump gun is MY personal choice for that weapon, I had the 12GA in the military but, reality is at 145 lbs, the 20 GA is more preferred for me:D, the Mossberg and others are available in 20 GA ....otherwise, if in "close quarters, etc.," a .38/9mm REVOLVER with appropriate ammo would be MY handgun preference... to each his own, ...your local sheriff/PD can inform you of the Written law if you cannot own/carry...:exclaim:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

If you use a 12 Ga and "light bird-loads" you will hardly notice the recoil, especially if you're in a situation...It also negates the need to "aim", you just point in the general direction of the threat and pull the trigger, problem solved. You should shoot it and become proficient with it out to about 15 yards on a human silhouette.

I've taught hundreds of people to shoot the 12 ga Roit Shotgun with OO buckshot and slugs. If you shoot it correctly, you won't get your butt (or shoulder) kicked. Don't be intimidated.