• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ SB1270

Dahwg

imported post

It was much better before they amended it. They took out the provisions for school carry they changed the wording from "notwithstanding any other law" you can carry anywhere except a secure facility. Instead they changed it to allow you to carry at any public facility or event. It's better than what we have now, but the bill has been severely watered down.

I'm a little disappointed in the changes, but it's definitely a good start.

AZkopper

imported post

Actually, I'm not so sure:

13-3102(a)(12) states "A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly...Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds.

But 13-3102(b)(4) states "Subsection A, paragraphs 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, and 13 and 16 of this section shall not apply to...A person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to a statute of this state or of the United States."

It seems to me that a CWP holder is "specifically licensed to carry a firearm" pursuant to state statute.

I will admit, the new amended bill is nowhere as cut -and-dry as the old one, as my above observation shows.

AZkopper

imported post

They also have not addressed how this bill will interat with the Title 4 (alcohol) laws about deadly weapons where alcohol is served.

****WEEE IT'S MY 300TH POST. in just a few days over a year.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

azcdlfred

imported post

irish wrote:
I have not read this in it's entirety but so far it looks very good for Arizona residents. It looks very similar to a Vermont style concealed carry which I think is a big step in the right direction.
SB 1270 was ourAlaksa/Vermont carrybill for this year. Unfortunatley it got bogged down with amendments, likepoorly worded straw purchase language, thatkilled in the Senate Rules committee. The oppostion was fierce and it barely squeaked out of the first committee. Ironically the same people who came out against the 1994 concealed carry law were now praising the CCW law while using the same "blood in the streets" arguments. What was very telling was listening to law enforcment respresentatives praising the CCW law as a tool for easy arrests.

Like I mentioned in another post, watching SB 1270 flame out, we (AzCDL) did some stealth work to get the less controversial Petty Offense language added to HB 2439. Petty Offense language has made it to the Governor twice before and this time we have a different governor.

We need your support on HB 2439. Please look atour 6/26/09 news article for a cut-and-paste letter.

Thanks!
Fred