• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People v. Kern

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

http://ca.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.\CA\CA3\1979\19790601_0040698.CA.htm/qx

This is the good bit:

Penal Code section 12031 provides, in pertinent part: "(a) . . . [Every] person who carries a loaded firearm on his person or in a vehicl while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city . . . is guilty of a misdemeanor. [ para. ] . . . (e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city . . . . Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section."

The question is whether the provision in section 12031, subdivision (e), that "refusal to allow a police officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to . . . this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section," implies that a request to inspect must be made before there can be a lawful search. The trial court ruled that a request to inspect the firearm was a prerequisite to a search under this section. Because no such request was made in this case, the information was dismissed.

The ruling from this case seems to indicate that an officer cannot perform a 12031(e) check without one of the following being true:

1. The LEO has requested to perform the 12031(e) check
2. The LEO has probable cause to believe that the firearm is loaded
3. There is an exigent circumstance where determining the loaded status is needed to prevent immediate danger

It seems to me that any case where a officer does a felony hot-stop and determines the condition of the firearm without asking to have performed the check would produce inadmissible evidence and would be a violation of the fourth amendment.

Decoligny

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
http://ca.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.%5CCA%5CCA3%5C1979%5C19790601_0040698.CA.htm/qx

This is the good bit:

Penal Code section 12031 provides, in pertinent part: "(a) . . . [Every] person who carries a loaded firearm on his person or in a vehicl while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city . . . is guilty of a misdemeanor. [ para.] . . . (e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city . . . . Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section."

The question is whether the provision in section 12031, subdivision (e), that "refusal to allow a police officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to . . . this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section," implies that a request to inspect must be made before there can be a lawful search. The trial court ruled that a request to inspect the firearm was a prerequisite to a search under this section. Because no such request was made in this case, the information was dismissed.

The ruling from this case seems to indicate that an officer cannot perform a 12031(e) check without one of the following being true:

1. The LEO has requested to perform the 12031(e) check
2. The LEO has probable cause to believe that the firearm is loaded
3. There is an exigent circumstance where determining the loaded status is needed to prevent immediate danger

It seems to me that any case where a officer does a felony hot-stop and determines the condition of the firearm without asking to have performed the check would produce inadmissible evidence and would be a violation of the fourth amendment.

I just got through reading the case. It appears that the salient point is the officer did a "search" of the trunk without first "requesting" to do a 12031(e) check. Not having made the request, and not having recieved either permission, or refusal, he did not have permission, and did not have probable cause under 12031(e) to perform the 12031(e) check and therefore had no legal justification for opening the trunk.

Basically, if the officer had requested a 12031(e) check on the firearm that he knew was in the trunk, he would have either received permission, or refusal.

With permission he could legally check the weapon in the trunk and would have been limited to a visual examination of whatever else was plainly visible in the trunk.

With a refusal, he would have had probable cause under 12031(e) to arrest the individual for a 12031(e) violation and could have searched the vehicle legally persuant to arrest.

By bypassing the "request", the officer had no legal justification for opening the trunk.

I don't see how this will help us in any way, unless the officer doesn't request/demand a 12031(e) check, and just takes our firearm without our first having the opportunity to comply with the required request/demand.

smn

imported post

a. Possession of a firearm is not illegal.
b. There is no firearms exemption to the 4th amendment. (Florida v. JL)
c. Where a reasonably prudent officer is warranted in the circumstances of a given case in believing that his safety or that of others is endangered, he may make a reasonable search for weapons of the person believed by him to be armed and dangerous [size="-1"] [392 U.S. 1, 3] [/size] regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest that individual for crime or the absolute certainty that the individual is armed. (Terry v. Ohio).

I don't think 12031(e) stands constitutional muster. Can it be challenged?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
With a refusal, he would have had probable cause under 12031(e) to arrest the individual for a 12031(e) violation and could have searched the vehicle legally persuant to arrest.
Just a quick correction here: Arizona v Gant (2009 SCOTUS decision) says officer cannot simply search incident to arrest. The officer would have to obtain a warrent, unless he could prove that he reasonably believed the suspect could access a weapon or tamper with evidence.

We need to talk about this case often, and make it clearly known to our public servants. It's only a matter of time before some public defender takes advantage of some cop's failure to get a warrent, and bad people are gonna get away with bad things due to supressed evidence.

bigtoe416

imported post

Decoligny: Definitely agree with your assessment. I thought there might be times where an officer who is unfamiliar with 12031(e) performs the loaded check without asking. According to this case law that check wouldn't be lawful. Any lawsuit brought against the officer could include such reasoning.

smn: I think most of us feel that 12031(e) is unconstitutional. I don't know of any lawsuits that are currently underway to challenge it. Hopefully we'll get a challenge to it sometime soon, although personally I'd rather go after the 1000' school zone restriction first.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

smn wrote:
a. Possession of a firearm is not illegal.
b. There is no firearms exemption to the 4th amendment. (Florida v. JL)
c. Where a reasonably prudent officer is warranted in the circumstances of a given case in believing that his safety or that of others is endangered, he may make a reasonable search for weapons of the person believed by him to be armed and dangerous [size="-1"] [392 U.S. 1, 3] [/size] regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest that individual for crime or the absolute certainty that the individual is armed. (Terry v. Ohio).

I don't think 12031(e) stands constitutional muster. Can it be challenged?
It is blatantly unconstitutional, and needs to be challenged. Unfortunately, we already have case law in CA saying it is constitutional, so it's gonna be a tougher challenge than it should be. I believe Terry v Ohio is the key, though.

smn

imported post

Does California have an FOIA-type of system by which citizens may request information from the government? You might find a few cases in which someone's been prosecuted by this law and then appeal, or else not, yet you learn something both ways.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We already have a case that uses the 12031(e) situation.

In my case the officers did not ask permission to inspect and also removed the wallet from my pocket.

The problem here is that the only thing that could have been suppressed was the ID which was later used to charge me. The court would not throw that out.

For my criminal situation it doesn't help, but for a civil it is perfect.

smn

imported post

If anyone is stopped for a 12031(e) check then it is incumbent of the lawful carrier of the gun to get the ball rolling with a civil suit.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

There are plenty of dummies in kommifornia can't you just use the
citizens initiative to get the law invalidated? Just think of a nice way of
putting it.
"amendment to stop the warrentless search of law abiding citizens' or some such.
"the minority protections act, to repeal unequal enforcement of 12031 on only some citizens"
After all when did you last hear them use this law on an unarmed citizen,
or an OC'ing leo even.

On a good note, it looks like there will be no funding to prosecute violators in
the very near future.
On the bad side with the new influx of criminals you will not have time to load the gun.

Article1section23

imported post

When asked to have firearm inspected, simply say you are invoking your 5th amendment right. Just repeat this and also do not consent to any search.....you should win this hands down. Allowing the search does both, wave your 4th and it also self incriminates yourself, which if any other state then Calif, would be thrown out, but no so sure, and your in the 9th circuit....but, that's the way I would go about it.

Decoligny

imported post

Most people simply ask "Are you requesting to inspect my firearm, or are you demanding?" If it is a demand, then it is a siezure. Be sure to get it on audio.

bigtoe416

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Can you say no if it is a request?
Of course you can. A police officer can ask you anything you want. You only have to comply with lawful orders.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

So either way than that would make the e-check illegal? If they request you can deny, if they demand than it violates the 4th? The only legal e-check is if you volunteer to it. Or am I missing something, again comes down to just not being 'cooperative' with the LEO. Not letting yourself be tricked or intimidated into surrending your rights.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
So either way than that would make the e-check illegal? If they request you can deny, if they demand than it violates the 4th? The only legal e-check is if you volunteer to it. Or am I missing something, again comes down to just not being 'cooperative' with the LEO. Not letting yourself be tricked or intimidated into surrending your rights.
Exactly right. The reason this seems so confusing (especially to LE) is that state law says they can arrest you for refusing their request, and then examine your firearm against your will. And I'm willing to bet that's what most LE would do.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alright folks, repeat after me. . .

I do not consent to the search or seizure of my person or property, but will comply with any orders.

They can only arrest you if you

12031(e) . . . Refus(e) to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section.
I almost am willing to suggest under all circumstances we refuse to allow a search and make them arrest you. At that point they will have to defend themselves against an unconstitutional law and you should have record that you were arrested.

Remember. . . They may arrest you, but unless you are loaded they can not charge you with the crime unless they are reckless or stupid.