• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms In Value Village in Cudahy

Open carry ok to me

imported post

I was shocked when I entered Value Village today and found that there were 2 signs on their entry doors saying "No firearms allowed inside". So I went up and asked a manager why it was that they did not allow firearms and she said "it is not safe".

So use this information as you will.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Well that is their right, and their decision should be respected. I would cross that place of your list of places to spend your hard earned money though. And I do not even think it is worth the paper, ink envelope & stamp trying to make them understand that law abiding citizens are not the ones they need to worry about.

As for the managers statement of "They are not safe" (referring to firearms)You really cannot argue with stupidity.
I wonder if those signs make the ownersand managers feel all safe and secure now because we all know criminals withintent on robbing that store will surely obey their signs that state no firearms be brought inside (Sarcasm off now)

"You just can't fix stupid"

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I would cross that place of your list of places to spend your hard earned money though. And I do not even think it is worth the paper, ink envelope & stamp trying to make them understand that law abiding citizens are not the ones they need to worry about.
I would definitely not patronize the place. No need to. I'm certain anything that can be bought at value village can be purchased elsewhere.

As for being worth the paper, ink, envelope and stamp. Thats totally up to you. Freedom is worth a lot more to some people than others. Everyone must chose the battles they fight and the battles they avoid. Your resources are best devoted to the places they will be most effective.

I'll never spend a penny in a store that doesn't recognize the rights of law-abiding citizens unless it was the LAST PLACE ON EARTH to get something I COULDN'T live without.

If you still shopped at value village, they won. They put up a sign, raped your rights, and got your business anyway.

If you didn't shop there, you did the right thing, but probably won't make a change.

If you have the time to take it further, contact the store owners.

I don't have a lot of time this week, but I'll make some phone calls. Where is the store located, want to make sure I call the right one

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Update:

Spoke to the store manager Bill Ruhl at the St. Francis store. He informed me that the ST. FRANCIS POLICE DEPARTMENT sent around a letter to businesses requesting that they post a "no firearms allowed" sign.

The manager seemed VERY dismayed at the concept that they were perceived as "non-gun-rights-friendly" and said that they were requested by the St. Francis Police department to do so.

I called the St. Francis Police Department and spoke to Lt. Varga and asked for a copy of that letter.

I'm curious as to the content of the letter. Wether it actually requests stores to post those signs or "suggests" that they do.

Value Village has 4 stores here in the Milwaukee area. I obtained their local corporate office phone number from the manager at the St. Francis store. I placed a call to the corporate office and was directed to an executive (I presume the CEO) and I left a message for him. I'm realatively certain he'll be returning my phone call when he returns from lunch.

I'll post updates as I learn more.

edit: if the St. Francis Police department declines to provide a copy of that letter I will do an open records request of them for it.

edit: decided not to wait for them to get back to me. I have emailed the St. Francis PD's community resource officer and made an open records request of any letters/memo's that were sent local businesses since the April 20th AG memo.

Open carry ok to me

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Update:

Spoke to the store manager Bill Ruhl at the St. Francis store. He informed me that the ST. FRANCIS POLICE DEPARTMENT sent around a letter to businesses requesting that they post a "no firearms allowed" sign.

The manager seemed VERY dismayed at the concept that they were perceived as "non-gun-rights-friendly" and said that they were requested by the St. Francis Police department to do so.

I called the St. Francis Police Department and spoke to Lt. Varga and asked for a copy of that letter.

I'm curious as to the content of the letter. Wether it actually requests stores to post those signs or "suggests" that they do.

Value Village has 4 stores here in the Milwaukee area. I obtained their local corporate office phone number from the manager at the St. Francis store. I placed a call to the corporate office and was directed to an executive (I presume the CEO) and I left a message for him. I'm realatively certain he'll be returning my phone call when he returns from lunch.

I'll post updates as I learn more.

edit: if the St. Francis Police department declines to provide a copy of that letter I will do an open records request of them for it.

edit: decided not to wait for them to get back to me. I have emailed the St. Francis PD's community resource officer and made an open records request of any letters/memo's that were sent local businesses since the April 20th AG memo.

Wow, thank you hugh jarmis, you have done more than I could in a few days. I would really like to see this "letter" that they sent out to the stores.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pezhead992 wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:

Wow, thank you huge jarmis, you have done more than I could in a few days. I would really like to see this "letter" that they sent out to the stores.
:lol:

On a serious note, I too wonder whether or not they made it seem to local businesses they had to put up signs? Violating "Oaths of Office" seems to be the order of the day for Police Departments in Milwaukee County. "I swear to uphold and defend the constitutions..." means "I will ask others (under color of law) to restrict and act againstthe rights of citizens because the constitution doesn't let me do it"

Thank you huge jarmis:lol: for being our, IMHO, spokesperson for OC in WI.

Carry On.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

On a serious note, I too wonder whether or not they made it seem to local businesses they had to put up signs? Violating "Oaths of Office" seems to be the order of the day for Police Departments in Milwaukee County.
It is disturbing. We know from South Milwaukee that there was no public request for legislation, no shop owners had contacted the city, rather the police were making requests of law from the city to expand police powers leveraging individual shop owners.

Now we hear that St. Francis sent out letters. The content of which hasn't been verified, but will be shortly indicating that police contacted stores and requested they post signage. A clear infringment on store-owners rights. I'll withhold further judgement until I see the letter, but this is a disturbing trend. It really demonstrates the lengths police will go to for the acquisition of power.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Very interesting,

I would love to see those letters the PD (Allegedly at this point) put out. I wonder if it would put them in an actionable position? What has really got me curious is if the wording in these letters would lead a business owner to believe that if they do not post these signs, that they would be cited for an offense or if there was any languge in them to make someone believe there would be repercusions if the signs were not posted.

Also if the signs were made and provided by the PD at the taxpayers expense?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Years ago the South Carolina State Chamber of Commerce sent letters convincing shop owners that they were liable unless the CofC's no-guns sign was posted. It took years to get rid of them and engendered SC's rigid no-guns sign ordinance. If a sign deviates from the legal standard then it has no effect in law and the proprietor must make effective trespass notice.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It sounds very bad but I'll wait to see the wording of the letter before I pass judgment. If they're just informing business owners of their rights then I see no issue. However, if they're recommending or instructing then that's a problem.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Something we had discussed at our June meeting in La Crosse was using something like "logan's" business card concept. Have the card printed with a blank spot so it would read:

I spent $ ____ while shopping this evening. Unfortunately, none of it at this establishment because of the establishment's anti-rights policy.
Then take this to every manager, of every store in these malls, etc. and give them a card. If you visit them 2-3 times a week and hand every store a card, they will immediately see the dollars lost.

Take it and run with it...

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Received a call back from Bob Hanson, the General Manager of the parent company to the 4 Value Village stores in the Milwaukee area. While he (and the store manager) seem to be very likeable guys who from the sounds of it seem to fall on the conservative side of the political spectrum (referenced an affinity for Vicki McKenna's radio program) they felt that in order to "work with" the police in St. Francis they were going to stick with their posted no-firearms policy.

Please encourage your friends and family to avoid patronizing the 4Value Village stores in the Milwaukee area. Your money is best spent at retail stores that support the rights of their law-abiding customers over the "command and control" desires of the police department.

In the meantime, I am still waiting for a copy of the letter from St. Francis PD. I place another call to them today and it was the Chief of Police that sent the letter, he is out of town, but they are working on getting a copy to me.

bigdaddy1

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Please encourage your friends and family to avoid patronizing the 4Value Village stores in the Milwaukee area. Your money is best spent at retail stores that support the rights of their law-abiding customers over the "command and control" desires of the police department.

In the meantime, I am still waiting for a copy of the letter from St. Francis PD. I place another call to them today and it was the Chief of Police that sent the letter, he is out of town, but they are working on getting a copy to me.

I can all but guarantee I will not shop in any of these stores or any other in that comunity that posts this signage.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will again state, that I think it is VERY important to continue to "visit" any and all establishments that post signs. We should try to "visit" these establishment as often as possible, and we should try to many different individuals to "visit" this establishments. Get your mother, brother, aunt, uncle, neighbor, friend to "visit" these places.

Have a buisinesscard printed with a blank spot so it would read:
I spent $ ____ while shopping this evening. Unfortunately, none of it at this establishment because of the establishment's anti-rights policy. Feel free to contact me should there be a change in policy. <Name and address>
Then take this to every manager, of every store in these malls, etc. and give them a card. If we"visit" them 2-3 times a week and hand every store a card, they will immediately see the dollars lost.

bigdaddy1

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I will again state, that I think it is VERY important to continue to "visit" any and all establishments that post signs. We should try to "visit" these establishment as often as possible, and we should try to many different individuals to "visit" this establishments. Get your mother, brother, aunt, uncle, neighbor, friend to "visit" these places.

I spent $ ____ while shopping this evening. Unfortunately, none of it at this establishment because of the establishment's anti-rights policy. Feel free to contact me should there be a change in policy. <Name and address>
Then take this to every manager, of every store in these malls, etc. and give them a card. If we"visit" them 2-3 times a week and hand every store a card, they will immediately see the dollars lost.
In order to "visit" these storesone would have to walk in to give the manager these cards, in violation of their posted no carry rule unless you "visit" unarmed.

protias

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

In order to "visit" these storesone would have to walk in to give the manager these cards, in violation of their posted no carry rule unless you "visit" unarmed.
Go in unarmed as you don't want to break the rules. I personally would have my holster on, but that's my choice.