Thread: Oxford parks firearm ordinance

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I sent an email to the Oxford city council and CC the Oxford police Dept. on 6/5/09.
    I never heard anything so I sent them a follow up letter on 6/11/09. I did get a reply from one of the council members saying that my request is being reviewed but I haven't heard anything since then.
    Here is a copy of the letter I sent, like the others I just changed it up a little but pretty standard. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Dear Oxford Township officials, Oxford police department,

While researching the Code of Ordinances for the Township of Oxford, I came across local ordinance
    [/b]
    Sec. 34-40[/b]. Firearms and other weapons, explosives and dangerous substances.
    No person shall have in his possession or control any rifle, shotgun, pistol or other firearm, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, explosives or other dangerous substances within any park.
    (Ord. No. 56, § 9, 5-13-1981)
    Cross references: Weapons, § 30-241 et seq.

Sec. 30-242[/b]. Possession of firearms, other weapons or traps.
    (b) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license while at or going to and from a recognized rifle or target range, or trap or skeet shooting ground, if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

Under the 1990 state preemption law (MCL 123.1102, outlined in brief below), this ordinance is unenforceable in regard to firearm possession and transport. Furthermore, the existence of this ordinance, being in conflict with the law of the State of Michigan, is misleading to the people of Oxford Twp. and other citizens who may visit the City.

As an Oxford resident, I am requesting this ordinance be amended within 90 days to comply with MCL 123.1102. Failure to amend this ordinance could be considered an act of malfeasance as it willfully misinforms the public of what is and is not allowed in the parks of Oxford Twp. I look forward to your resolution and response when this ordinance is amended.

Thank you,
    my name

Michigan Legislature FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
    Act 319 of 1990
    123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
    Sec. 2.
    A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3uzohtmics2b4u45avhaptfn))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

Post imported post

Good job!!! They should be paying us for our review and codification of there ordinances. Of course we are only correcting the firearms portions BUT.......:celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

great job hears a dancing banana for you!!!:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

:quirky

And a monkey too!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

UPDATE

Dear Mr.

The Oxford Township Board of Trustees will have first reading to amend the Ordinance with regard to firearms in Township Parks tomorrow evening Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at their regular meeting.

Thanks,

Curtis W. Wright, Clerk
    Charter Township of Oxford

Post imported post

Good Deal!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

:celebrate

Post imported post

I will be attending the meeting tomorrow night to make sure everything is in order. I'm glad that the city has stuck by its word, I wasn't sure it would follow through after all this time of putting it off.

Post imported post

Saw in the paper the notice that they were going to cover this in the meeting - they haven't been enforcing it anyway but good that they actually are following through.

Post imported post

myusername wrote:
    Saw in the paper the notice that they were going to cover this in the meeting - they haven't been enforcing it anyway but good that they actually are following through.
    If you have the link to this article, can you please post it? Thank you, and great job!!

God Bless!

:celebrate

"Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless