• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a small DA/SA Semi Auto

dyver1

imported post

So I took my SO shooting for the first time last night and she is hooked. :celebrate

She fired my SIG P225 and she is a really good shot and really liked the DA/SA design of the P225, but she has smaller hands than I do and it does not fit her hands very well, So my question is this. Does SIG or someone else make a smaller DA/SA that I can look into for her as we move forward on this.

As a side note, I would probably be more interested in one that would be available on the used market vice buying new if that is an option. :lol:

Thanks

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Look at the Bersa line of pistols. The Thunder Nine looks like just what you're looking for, thin grips and DA/SA. Even the Thunder 380 would be sufficient if she shoots it well(and you can find food for it!). People who own Bersas seem to like them.

Take her to a gun store that has a large selection and let her feel as many as possible. You may be surprised to find how many she likes.:lol:

hp-hobo

imported post

My first choice would be a Polish Radom P64.Cheap, well made, dead reliable and inexpensive ammunition.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/polish/p/polish-p64-9x18-makarov-double-action-walther-ppk-style-very-good-plus-condition/cPath/16_385/products_id/2453

I have one of these little beauties and it's a favorite amongst new and experienced shooters alike. It's way smaller than my Sig 225-P6 and almost as accurate. IMO, you couldn't go far wrong with one of these.

Alexcabbie

imported post

If she is a newbie get her a REVOLVER! There aren't all those levers and catches, it it very simple. Draw, aim, fire. Feeding problems? the only feeding problem I ever had with a wheelgun was where to buy lunch with what little cash I had left over after a day at the range, what with the high cost of ammo due to Ubamanistaphobia.

And remember it was not a seniauto pistol but a revolver for which the following lines were written:

"You need not fear of any man no matter what his size;

When Danger threatens, call on me,

And I will Equalize!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

markand

imported post

The SIG P-239 might be a bit smaller in the grip (is definitely shorter) and might fit her hand better. It can be had in 9mm, .40 and .357 SIG. My recommendation would be to get a .40 or .357 SIG model, then get a 9mm aftermarket drop-in barrel for it. Then you could simply switch among any of the 3 calibers in seconds by simply changing the barrel. Can't do that if you start with a 9mm gun, however.

If the P-239 is still too large, consider the smaller yet P230/232. This gun is in .380. While many say the .380 is small for defensive use, ammo makers have been churning out better, hotter ammo, with better bullets, that makes this a viable solution for those with small hands, or who want a smaller, lighter gun. That said, I haven't seen much of this .380 ammo on the shelves or online for months. I am confident, however, that the ammo hoarding and shortages will begin to subside as our shelves and safes run out of room.

SIG has recently introduced a P-238 in .380 that might fit her hand better, but its kind of like a miniature 1911, single action only.

The new SIG P250 is a remarkable gun that features a single "fire unit", the trigger, hammer, firing pin and such, which comprise the serialized "gun". This fire unit can be dropped into a blithering variety of different sized grips. Caliber can also be easily changed from 9mm to .40 to .357 SIG to .45. All of this is intended to be very attractive to police agencies, who employ large and small handed officers, so you should be able to find a P250 grip that fits your wife's hand. Be aware, however, since this gun is very new, there could be early design issues and limited availability of parts like the grip frames. I have even seen P250's listed on sales sites like SIGFourm's classified page, Gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com.

Other SIG's are widely available used and most of my collection of SIG's was purchased used.

Marco

imported post

markand wrote:
consider the smaller P230/232. This gun is in .380. While many say the .380 is small for defensive use, ammo makers have been churning out better, hotter ammo, with better bullets, that makes this a viable solution for those with small hands, or who want a smaller, lighter gun.

That said, I haven't seen much of this .380 ammo on the shelves or online for months.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=272
They have .380 in stock, received an order this week.

[line]
other guns to consider

[line]
Traditional DA guns

Bersa (.380, 9, 40 or 45)
S&W 908, 3913, CS9, 990L 9mm (40 versions available?)
Beretta 84, 85 86, PX and92 compact (single stack)

Non Traditional DA

Para Ord. PDA 9mm it has a grip and thump safety (later not needed imho)
LDA trigger system

Striker fired

Kahr Steel or Polymer in .380, 9, 40 or 45 (MK might be too small)
S&W M&P with or w/o thumb safety, compact
Springfield XD, compact

eyesopened

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Have you thought about getting a shorter trigger for the P6?

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/firearms/sigp6p225parts.html

The DA pull on my P6 is pretty tough, but I'd imagine with a shorter trigger your wife can get more leverage on it.
A shorter trigger will give you less leverage, because... The lever is shorter.
The trigger itself is not shorter but closer to the grip. For someone with smaller hands, the fact the trigger is closer to the grip will allow their finger to manipulate it easier.