• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smaller DA/SA Semi Auto

dyver1

imported post

Took my SO to the range for the first time ever last nite and damn if she isn't a really good shot and now she is hooked. :celebrate

We used my Sig P225 and she really like the design and function of the DA/SA Sig, but the P225 is too big for her hands.

I am looking for a recommendation for either another DA/SA SIg or other brand that is smaller framed and will fit her hand better. My preference would be to find something that is available on the used matket vs going new, but I am willing to consider both options with cost being a factor in the decision. ;) Also for consistency and ammunition cost mitigation, I think that a 9mm would be the best choice since that is what I currently carry.

If any of you can make some recommendations, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Might look out for a Czech made CZ82. These are old C&R Mil/Police issue 9MM (Makarov 9 X 18). 12+1 capacity and are as easy to draw and fire as a DA revolver. Safety cannot be engaged unless the gun is cocket. When not cocked it has a hammer plock that is deactivated when you squeeze the trigger.

I have one and love it. Bought one for my daughter and she really likes it. Her 16 yo daughter is a pretty good shot with it as well.

Another would be the Makarov IJ-70 or the later version Hungarian made PA63 8+1
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131838370

Right now the Mak rounds are easier to find than the Ruger (9x19)through online suppliers.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

A P239 in 9mm sounds like your gun. Already familiar operating system with the decocker in the same spot, etc. as the P225, but with a smaller grip. You might also look for a P230 or P232 in .380 if the idea of a SIG is what you would like to stick with. All of the models listed above are dead reliable and as accurate as guns much larger.

Best thing might be to go toa range that"rents" handgunsand let her try a bunch of different ones to see which she likes. My wife prefers my Kahr K9 (which is DAO) over any other gun I've had her shoot, and I've owned over 60 different models, at last count. Good luck!

-G20

TehGruu

imported post

If you are into SIGs, then check out the SIG PRO 2022. It's 9mm and for 15+1, the grip isn't too massive. It's also more affordable. I love mine.

woodyga

imported post

I would recomend A CZ 2075 Rami BD in 9mm. Mine is the decocker model. Gave 645.00 for it out the door. Its small and light. I carry it with the 10 rnd mag and a 14rnd spare mag. It's very easy to conceal. It is very reliable and accurate. I have over 500 rnds thru it with no probs.

Here are a few pics of mime. It is now my primary carry weapon.

rami14.jpg

ramir.jpg

ramil.jpg

nova

imported post

Consider looking at a 3rd Gen S&W auto, they made them in both double stack and single stack (the latter having a thinner profile) available in several calibers including 9mm.

gb8106

imported post

Might want to check out the smith&wesson mp compact. Very well made firearm, and comes with 3 different sizes of palm swells that are very easy to remove and replace. I have shot the full sized and compact, both shoot very well and are extremely accurate straight out of the box. Price is not bad either

oldkim

imported post

Best bet is to go to a range that rent guns (just like G20 above stated).

Everyone is different, our"wants and requirements" for a gun differ, as does our wallets.

The benefit of having her test fire as many as she can... she will be the one that knows what she likes.

Do look at some revolvers as the gripscan bevery slim for small hands.

Good luck to you and yours. Have fun!

bjr229

imported post

I would suggest the Bersa Thunder 380. Not bad for self defense when loaded with Glasers, small and light, affordable. I bought one a year ago and like it.

Brian

45acpForMe

imported post

I love my Sig's but if you want a slightly smaller gun try a Taurus. The grips are a bit shorter. They are about the same width as the sig. The differenttaurus runs from $380-$600 depending on model. I have the PT145 millennium which was about $400. It is small enough to conceal in a pocket holster. The make the same gun for 9mm and 40sw.

Stafford Carry

imported post

Open your mind to DOUBLE ACTION ONLY rather than DA/SA. I use a S&W CS45D (.45 ACP) which is a compact double action ONLY. This requires no safety, no fear of decocking after a round is fired and MOST IMPORTANTLY, is greatly reduces unintentional second round discharges by a nervous shooter who just saved their own life.

I started to look for double action only way back in the mid 80's when I carried a combat colt commander 1911 because I liked the consistency of not having a trigger pull that changes. That is good for combat matches and target shooting but a fellow gas station manager near me in Florida changed my mind.

A female station manager fired a round in self defense then while holding the minorly wounded man in wait for the police accidently dropped another round into him because he was making a move and she wanted to "take the slack out of the trigger in case..."

I later added a double action only Mossberg pump shotgun to my collection when my wife was unable to operate the gun properly and with confidence. Now all she has to do is take off the safety (unlike my CS45D the Mossberg has a safety) and pulls that nice long trigger pull. I have had to put down numerous opossums struggling with my dogs late at night with never a worry about what condition the weapon was in.

I am not sure S&W makes it in 9mm or other smaller calibers.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I know that you said cost is a factor, and that you are wanting to look used, but the H&K P2000 series or the newer P30 are both smaller and EXCELLENT guns! The reason they are so hard to find used though is that nobody wants to get rid of them once they have one! The P2000 comes in either 9mm or .40 cal. The P30 only comes in 9mm. :)cry:I really wish it was available in .40, but that means I would have to buy one...)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

If you (she?) is not completely hung up on the action, Kahr makes excellent DAO pistols in their standard size, which is classed as compact. I would recommend the Kahr K9 which is an all steel frame and has a superb feel and pointability for small to medium sized hands. It is a perfect gun to consider for females.

Check with Virginia Arms. They frequently have ones in their consignment display case at reasonable prices.

ecocks

imported post

Of course, she should handle and preferably, fire, before buying, but I endorse the Bersa .380's (short 9) with a good defensive load. It seems to fit your criteria in cost, size and defensive considerations. Even new you should be around $300.

dshelman

imported post

Got a quote on a Bersa Thunder duotone .380 for $229 brand new from my local gun shop. From what I've been reading about it, I want to get my hands around it and check it out.