• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Kentucky

Chaingun81

imported post

Guys,

I might be visiting Kentucky for a long weekend. Plan is to come to Lexington and drive around the area and maybe go to the Jim Beam distillery for a tour or so.My question is what are the OC/CC problems I should watch out for?

I have a VA residentCHP which I think is valid in KY (correct me if I'm wrong). Which areas should I be aware of?

1) Are there any national parks which are not clearly signed?

2) Any federal property (other than obvious Post Offices and Federal buildings that are marked as such)

3) What places are off limits for carry?

4) Is carry permitted in family restaurants that serve alcohol?

5) Is there a duty to notify LEO at traffic stops?

6) Is there a duty to retreat?

Thanks in advance!

Fred

imported post

Hey hope you have a great trip to kentucky. Its a state well worth the trip. What part of Kentucky do you plan on visiting? If its anytime soon we have an open carry breakfest coming up soonthat your welcome to attend.

In kentucky your generally prohibited from carrying on school property, police, jail, goverment buildings also any all types of child care facility. If a buisness dosen't want you carrying on there property it will be posted at there entrance. Here in western KY most places are very gun friendly.

You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol

No duty to identify, but be sure you have your lic on you should they ask.

Most places you go to out here won't have a problem with you open carrying. When you start to enter your bigger more populated areas you may get an odd look or two. Other than that as long you carry in a responsible manner everything will be alright.

Check out some of the different thread we have going. Many will help answer some questions and enlighten you further.

Once again hope you have a great trip:celebrate

Beau

imported post

I will also be visiting KY soon. Hopkinsville area to visit family. I know that KY honors IN LTCH. Also know OC is legal.

My questions are.

1) Car carry. Does it have to be visible? Loaded or unloaded. Locked in case?

2)Carrying with round in chamber. Is this allowed?

3) Any magazine capacity restrictions?

4)Any limit on number of rounds allowed to carry on person?

I think those are my main concerns. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MrOverlay

imported post

Kentucky recognizes all concealed carry license. If you have your concealed carry license then the gun can be concealed obviously. If not it has to be in the open, or in the glove box, locked or unlocked, loaded or unloaded, it is up to you. I didn't mention places like trunks, etc. as I guessed you wanted it near you. Don't use a console for your gun.

No mag capacity issues, no ammo issues, no duty to inform, be safe, have fun.

Gary

Fred

imported post

With a concealed carry license your good to carry any way you like in a vehicle. Without one the best way would be in a glove box not a center console.

I open carry all the time out here in christian county so you won't have any trouble out this way.

8th ID

imported post

Like Fred and others have said-look over some threads on this forum. And we are having an OC breakfast at Cracker barrel this Saturday 6/27 9 a.m.and ALL freedom loving people are welcome.

hotrod

imported post

Fred wrote:
With a concealed carry license your good to carry any way you like in a vehicle. Without one the best way would be in a glove box not a center console.

I open carry all the time out here in christian county so you won't have any trouble out this way.
Without a carry license, carry only in your glovebox. Center console or any other place inside the cabin of the car would be considered concealed.

chris in va

imported post

One caveat about restaurant carry in KY. Don't bring it into the bar area, it's off limits. For example, Chili's has a separate bar/dining section. Can't go in there, legally.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

chris in va wrote:
One caveat about restaurant carry in KY. Don't bring it into the bar area, it's off limits. For example, Chili's has a separate bar/dining section. Can't go in there, legally.
What if the restroom is through the bar?

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

hotrod wrote:
Fred wrote:

Without a carry license, carry only in your glovebox. Center console or any other place inside the cabin of the car would be considered concealed.
In Kentucky car carry has to be either in glove box OR In plain sight.On the dash would be okay or in the front passenger seat.

Chaingun81

imported post

Fred wrote:
Hey hope you have a great trip to kentucky. Its a state well worth the trip. What part of Kentucky do you plan on visiting? If its anytime soon we have an open carry breakfest coming up soonthat your welcome to attend.

In kentucky your generally prohibited from carrying on school property, police, jail, goverment buildings also any all types of child care facility. If a buisness dosen't want you carrying on there property it will be posted at there entrance. Here in western KY most places are very gun friendly.

You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol

No duty to identify, but be sure you have your lic on you should they ask.

Most places you go to out here won't have a problem with you open carrying. When you start to enter your bigger more populated areas you may get an odd look or two. Other than that as long you carry in a responsible manner everything will be alright.

Check out some of the different thread we have going. Many will help answer some questions and enlighten you further.

Once again hope you have a great trip:celebrate

Thanks for the info and warm wishes! If everything works out I'll be going around 4th of July weekend. The plan is to stay in Lexington - do some sightseeing, maybe horseback riding or other horse-related stuff.

Also, would be cool to drive out to Jim Beam distillery and/or other distilliries and take a tour. Always wanted to go.

Speaking of which - what are the limitations on carrying (OC/CC) and alcohol? Don't get me wrong - I'm not gonna drink and carry or carry into the distillery itself, my only point is thatif I decide to do the tasting in one of the distilliries, can I still carry on the way backor is it completely zero tolerance? I've never done a tasting at a distillery, but I've done some at differentwineries and I know that with the amount they pour, the whole tasting is less than 1 drink, so there is not concern of being "legally intoxicated".

Are there any other things you would strongly recommend doing? I'll only have couple of days, so cannot do too much.

Thanks again!

Chaingun81

imported post

MrOverlay wrote:
Kentucky recognizes all concealed carry license. If you have your concealed carry license then the gun can be concealed obviously. If not it has to be in the open, or in the glove box, locked or unlocked, loaded or unloaded, it is up to you. I didn't mention places like trunks, etc. as I guessed you wanted it near you. Don't use a console for your gun.

Gary

Thanks!

Chaingun81

imported post

chris in va wrote:
What about regular family restaurants, where alcohol is served on the tables only and, of course, as long as I don't drink? Ruby tuesday, Red lobster, etc?

hotrod

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
chris in va wrote:
What about regular family restaurants, where alcohol is served on the tables only and, of course, as long as I don't drink? Ruby tuesday, Red lobster, etc?
You may sit at a table and have others drinking alcohol at your table and there is no problem. I disagree with Chris about sitting at the bar at a restaurant that derives over 50% of income from food, but that was in an earlier thread. I know of no KRS that would preclude you from drinking while armed. I wouldn't want to have a blood alcohol level higher than .08 when LEO approaches.

hotrod

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
MrOverlay wrote:

Gary

Thanks!
I've carried at Jim Beam, Makers Mark and one of the other well known brands and haven't had any problems

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks for the info guys. One more question -are there any National parks / National rec areas and other NPS governed places off limits which are not clearly signed in that area. I'll most likely spend most of the time around Lexington (probably within 50 mile radius) plus drive out west to Jim Beam distillery for a tour. Is there anything to worry about around there?

Also, isairport parking garage/airport car rental place off limits?

hotrod

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. One more question -are there any National parks / National rec areas and other NPS governed places off limits which are not clearly signed in that area. I'll most likely spend most of the time around Lexington (probably within 50 mile radius) plus drive out west to Jim Beam distillery for a tour. Is there anything to worry about around there?

Only place off limits at the airport is the sterile areas. If you have to go through TSA security, you can't carry. I don't think there is anyplace that is not posted as US Parks Service in the Lexington area

Chaingun81

imported post

hotrod wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

Only place off limits at the airport is the sterile areas. If you have to go through TSA security, you can't carry. I don't think there is anyplace that is not posted as US Parks Service in the Lexington area

Are there any NPS sites in Lexington area at all?

What about KY State Park/Forests - is carry permitted there?

hotrod

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
hotrod wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

Kentucky state parks are legal. The only NPS sites in Lexington I can think of is Ashland and Mary Todd Lincoln home. National Forest are legal to carry

Chaingun81

imported post

hotrod wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
hotrod wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

Kentucky state parks are legal. The only NPS sites in Lexington I can think of is Ashland and Mary Todd Lincoln home. National Forest are legal to carry

Allright, thanks for the extensive info, Hotrod - really appreciate your help!