• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Kentucky

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Off limit areas - Don't forget about TVA lands - No Weapons allowed in some areas. Its a bad pic but but the info is there.

Edit: If all goes well I be back home fishing at Kentucky Lake in August for a few weeks.

hotrod

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Off limit areas - Don't forget about TVA lands - No Weapons allowed in some areas. Its a bad pic but but the info is there.

Edit: If all goes well I be back home fishing at Kentucky Lake in August for a few weeks.

Can't find it, but, I know that only applies to buildings, dams etc. TVA can not apply it to lands. I'm looking for the administative rule, maybe somebody has it that can post for me.

Chaingun81

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

What is TVA? And where are such lands?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

TVA email response. You can read my request in the PDF.

Smith, Charles Robin <crsmith@tva.gov>
to m1gunr@gmail.com
cc TVAINFO <tvainfo@tva.gov>
date Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM
subject Re: Weapons on TVA lands

Mr. Starks,
This message is In response to your e-mail received July 6, 2009.
In general, firearms are prohibited on TVA property, whether carried openly or concealed. At the entrance to many TVA properties, signs are posted to give notice that firearms are prohibited at that site.
If I or my staff can be of further assistance, you may contact me at 865-632-4061.

Charles R. Smith
Commander, TVA Police
Eastern District Operations
Knoxville, TN

8th ID

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Mr. Starks,
In general, firearms are prohibited on TVA property, whether carried openly or concealed. At the entrance to many TVA properties, signs are posted to give notice that firearms are prohibited at that site.
If I or my staff can be of further assistance, you may contact me at 865-632-4061.
"In General" what does that mean? Just because signs are posted doesn't make it legal to prohibit firearms. I wonder what TN statutes say about this. OR is TVA federal land?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

8th ID wrote:
"In General" what does that mean? Just because signs are posted doesn't make it legal to prohibit firearms. I wonder what TN statutes say about this. OR is TVA federal land?
The Tennessee Valley Authority is a federal corporation and the nation’s largest public power company. TVA has revenues of over $9 billion a year from sales to its three customer groups. It receives no public tax dollars but finances all of its programs, including those for environmental protection, integrated river management, and economic development, through power sales and the sale of bonds in the financial markets. TVA no longer receives congressional appropriations to help fund its activities in navigation, flood control, environmental research, and land management. Today all of its programs are paid for with power revenues.

hotrod

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
TVA email response. You can read my request in the PDF.

Smith, Charles Robin <crsmith@tva.gov>
to m1gunr@gmail.com
cc TVAINFO <tvainfo@tva.gov>
date Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:01 PMsubject Re: Weapons on TVA lands

Mr. Starks,

Charles R. Smith
Commander, TVA Police
Eastern District Operations
Knoxville, TN
I wonder where he garners the authorization for his statement and signage? I can't findwhat would give anyone at the TVAthe authority to carry out the ban nor a law that would beviolated by carrying a weapon on TVA property (not to include dams).

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have written back with the following questions;

By what authority is this ban on weapons and what laws would one be breaking by carrying a weapon into these recreation areas?

KY_CCDW

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
chris in va wrote:
One caveat about restaurant carry in KY. Don't bring it into the bar area, it's off limits. For example, Chili's has a separate bar/dining section. Can't go in there, legally.
I know we have beaten this horse before, but I believe this law only applies to concealed carry.
It is not legal to carry a loaded gun in a bar, concealed or not, unless you work there.

And I have the cite to back it up. Lets not go there again!