• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a firearm in checked baggage

Chaingun81

imported post

I might be flying out of Reagan National and I was thinking about checking in a handgun in my baggage. I've never done that before, so it makes me a little nervous. I read the rules on TSA website, but I was just wondering if there is anything elseI need to watch out for.

Has anyone done it? What is the actual process at check in?

kenny

imported post

1. Check with your airline.
2. Arrive early as you will have to go to the airline ticket counter.
3. Tell the Agent you have a secured firearm to declare.
4. Have your hard case lockable box near the top as you open.
5. The agent may/should verify the firearm is secure in the lockable box.
6. The agent will fill out a tag to be place on the exterior of the lockable box.

Depending on how the airport process baggage will depend on the next process. They may take you bag and that is it. You may be asked to wait until the bag clears TSA scanning/xray. You may be asked to be present while TSA checks you luggage.

Hundreds of flights and dozens of airports it has always been a variation of one or more of the above.

One thing that I did leave out was the fact that the firearm should be unloaded and the ammo secure in it's own container. There has been much discussion on what type of container. Airline rules suggest original packaging. That is what I do and have never had a problem.

One last thing, I use a TSA Approved lockablestrap to go around the outsidemy suitcase. It helps me pick it out quicker at baggage claim and gives me a little more confidence that my equipment arrived safely.

ianto94

imported post

Kenny is right concerning the procedure. I recently checked a shotgun through Reagan on US Air and two hand guns through Dulles on United. The agent will carry the baggage over to TSA and will need you to wait while they screen it or the agent will accompany you while you take it over. Other airports may have different procedures. Take the TSA fact sheet with you in case of a problem. The airline will also have a discussion on its web site. Take that with you as well. Happy flying.

ianto94

imported post

Oh. And make sure the firearm is unloaded. Ammo can go in your luggage, however, but has to be in an ammo container such as the manufacturer's box. It is a little tricky with loaded magazines. If you have a mag holder that secures the loaded mag you can us that. Best is to leave the mags unloaded.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is the TSA link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Actually, this topic brings up a related question. I haven't had lost or damaged luggage with an airline for years. However, Murphy is fairly explicit about bad things occurring at the most inconvenient time possible...such as when traveling with a firearm.

Will the airline pay for a damaged case or firearm (given it was in an obviously damaged case)?

Lost Luggage? Do standard limitations apply or do they have a special "sorry, you are screwed" reimbursement policy for firearms?

Do the airlines sell insurance policies for high value luggage?

I would think the most simple process would be to have your firearms covered by your homeowner insurance provider. Valuable firearms should be on a rider that names each item individually and covers theft, destruction, loss and incident-based damage.

Has anyone had a Lost/Damaged luggage event with a firearm in the luggage? Can you share your experience?

Thanks! :cool:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ianto94 wrote:
And make sure the firearm is unloaded.
Agree! Depending upon the agent and airport.. Thier call to TSA could bring the TSA and the Police for carrying a concealed loaded firearm (with or without a permit) into an Air Carrier Terminal if it is one of the 9 airports in VA that have the ban.

AbNo

imported post

FWIW, I brought one of my pistols back from AR when I went to see my family for Christmas a couple of years ago.

No real problems. I went the extra step and removed the slide from the frame (which I think may be a requirement), and made sure both mags were unloaded.

Just go straight to baggage check and tell the lady you'd like to check a bag with an unloaded firearm.

Do NOT run up and scream "I HAVE A GUN!", as that tends to go over poorly. :lol:

KBCraig

imported post

One important point: while your luggage (which contains your locked firearm container) must have a TSA lock, the locked firearm container must not have a TSA lock. Instead, it must be locked with a lock to which only you have the key.

Here's why: TSA has to be able to open your luggage for security screening. They must not be able to open your firearm container, otherwise even more guns would go missing between check-in and the baggage compartment.

Chaingun81

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
One important point: while your luggage (which contains your locked firearm container) must have a TSA lock, the locked firearm container must not have a TSA lock. Instead, it must be locked with a lock to which only you have the key.

Here's why: TSA has to be able to open your luggage for security screening. They must not be able to open your firearm container, otherwise even more guns would go missing between check-in and the baggage compartment.
What do you mean by TSA lock? Where does it come from, who puts it on and who takes it off?

kenny

imported post

Suitcases must be left unlock now, unless you have a TSA Approved lock. It will say TSA approved. If you suit case is more than 3 years old it will not have a TSA lock.

So in addition to your hard side container for your firearm to which only you have a key and you properly check in. If you choose to us a secondary lock like I mentioned it must be a TSA appoved lock. They are nothing more than a set of locks we master key capability. They are sold at the airport and at any luggage store, AAA office or other travel related store.

mobeewan

imported post

The locks are aslo available at Lowes, Home Depot and some department stores. Master makes some of them and you will find themin the section with the pad locks. Besides master keys being available for TSA, I saw at least one (I think it was a Master brand lock)that lookedlike there may be a tool they can insert into the lock to to pop it open.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:

That may work when placing a pistol or two in a locked case inside a suitcase, however, when the luggage is the locked firearms container you don't have a lot of choices. If I'm traveling with two rifles in a TSA-locked Pelican case then that is the luggage and the locked case.

The TSA can require you to open the firearms case to ensure any ammuntion is stored appropriately and the firearms and magazines are not loaded.

:cool:

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks for your input guys. Couple more questions.

I'm gonna use this safe for transportation http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045006228564a.shtmlIt says that it meets TSA rules, but just to confirm - do you thinkits ok?

Reagan is legally in VA, not in DC, right? So, transporitng a handgun to and from the airport should be ok?

Do I have to put on trigger lock?

Can i transport unloaded magazines unlocked (not enough space in the container for gun and mags)?

Can I transport ammo unlocked (meaning regular commercial cartboard ammo box put straight into the bag)?

Thanks!

wylde007

imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
The TSA can require you to open the firearms case to ensure any ammunition is stored appropriately and the firearms and magazines are not loaded.
I watched a particular exchange last year at ORF (Norfolk) involving the transport of a long gun.

The TSA agent instructed the traveler to open the case, he inspected the contents and then had the customer close and lock the vessel for transport. The last thing he asked was "Are you the only person with keys to this lock?"

It appeared to be a fairly painless ordeal, at least from an observer's perspective.

Chaingun81

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:

I'm gonna use this safe for transportation http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045006228564a.shtmlIt says that it meets TSA rules, but just to confirm - do you thinkits ok?

Reagan is legally in VA, not in DC, right? So, transporitng a handgun to and from the airport should be ok?

Can i transport unloaded magazines unlocked (not enough space in the container for gun and mags)?

Can I transport ammo unlocked (meaning regular commercial cartboard ammo box put straight into the bag)?

Thanks!

Can anyone help answer the above?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

Thanks!

Can anyone help answer the above?

Reagan is in VA.

No trigger lock

Yes

Yes

Here is how I transport mine (and will again tomorrow)

TexasNative

imported post

Another couple of points.

According to the TSA web site's page on airline transportation of guns, ammunition can be carried in magazines as long as it's secured:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
I've read reports of folks just taping the open end of loaded magazines, completely covering the topmost cartidge, which met with approval of the TSA inspectors. YMMV.

Secondly, if you're planning to drive to Reagan National on the GW Parkway, be sure you do all your packing before you begin your drive. Right now, it's required because the road is in a National Park, where loaded guns are prohibited until the new law takes effect in February. Even then, though, you're not home free, since a part of the parkway passes through DC, believe it or not, so if you were so unlucky as to get stopped on that section of the parkway while carrying, DC laws could apply.

TFred

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Secondly, if you're planning to drive to Reagan National on the GW Parkway, be sure you do all your packing before you begin your drive. Right now, it's required because the road is in a National Park, where loaded guns are prohibited until the new law takes effect in February. Even then, though, you're not home free, since a part of the parkway passes through DC, believe it or not, so if you were so unlucky as to get stopped on that section of the parkway while carrying, DC laws could apply.
Don't the Federal interstate transportation laws apply here though? As long as everything is properly locked up in the luggage and away from the passenger section of the car?

TFred