• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a firearm in checked baggage

TexasNative

imported post

TFred wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Secondly, if you're planning to drive to Reagan National on the GW Parkway, be sure you do all your packing before you begin your drive. Right now, it's required because the road is in a National Park, where loaded guns are prohibited until the new law takes effect in February. Even then, though, you're not home free, since a part of the parkway passes through DC, believe it or not, so if you were so unlucky as to get stopped on that section of the parkway while carrying, DC laws could apply.
Don't the Federal interstate transportation laws apply here though? As long as everything is properly locked up in the luggage and away from the passenger section of the car?

TFred
Exactly. Which is why I said to be sure to get it all packed before you get in the car to drive to Reagan National. I'm sure that's what most folks would do anyway, but I thought I'd be all anal retentive and mention it.

~ Boyd

Chaingun81

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
TFred wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Secondly, if you're planning to drive to Reagan National on the GW Parkway, be sure you do all your packing before you begin your drive. Right now, it's required because the road is in a National Park, where loaded guns are prohibited until the new law takes effect in February. Even then, though, you're not home free, since a part of the parkway passes through DC, believe it or not, so if you were so unlucky as to get stopped on that section of the parkway while carrying, DC laws could apply.
Don't the Federal interstate transportation laws apply here though? As long as everything is properly locked up in the luggage and away from the passenger section of the car?

TFred
Exactly. Which is why I said to be sure to get it all packed before you get in the car to drive to Reagan National. I'm sure that's what most folks would do anyway, but I thought I'd be all anal retentive and mention it.

~ Boyd

Thanks guys! I already looked at the map and considered both the NP aspect and DC aspect of the GW parkway and was going to do exactly as you advised, but thanks for the warning anyway.

On the side note, isn't it completely inane that things like that can be considered felonies??? I mean seriously, you are driving your car with a holstered gun and a CHP, not meaning any harm to anyone and then you cross this invisible line some asshat bureacrat came up with and turn into a felon??? This is such bullshit.

I understand if you knowingly smuggled a gun through a security checkpoint of a courthouse or so - at least you knew what you were doing - but his GW parkway situation is like walking on a minefield... Sorry for a rant

Chaingun81

imported post

ed wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Thanks for your input guys. Couple more questions.

I'm gonna use this safe for transportation http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045006228564a.shtmlIt says that it meets TSA rules, but just to confirm - do you thinkits ok?

Reagan is legally in VA, not in DC, right? So, transporitng a handgun to and from the airport should be ok?

Do I have to put on trigger lock?

Can i transport unloaded magazines unlocked (not enough space in the container for gun and mags)?

Can I transport ammo unlocked (meaning regular commercial cartboard ammo box put straight into the bag)?

Thanks!

Can anyone help answer the above?

Reagan is in VA.

No trigger lock

Yes

Yes

Here is how I transport mine (and will again tomorrow)

Thanks Ed.

You think the box I linked is ok too?

P.S. is that a Kimber box you have on the picture?

mpg9999

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Which part of the GW pkwy is considered DC?

TexasNative

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
The island (whose name escapes me) which contains Lady Bird Johnson Park.

~ Boyd

ETA: It's named Columbia Island. I should have taken a few more seconds before posting.

mpg9999

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
The island (whose name escapes me) which contains Lady Bird Johnson Park.

~ Boyd

ETA: It's named Columbia Island. I should have taken a few more seconds before posting.
Wow, I just looked on google maps and you are right. It's just after the 395 exit. Thats good to know.

KBCraig

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
The TSA agent instructed the traveler to open the case, he inspected the contents and then had the customer close and lock the vessel for transport. The last thing he asked was "Are you the only person with keys to this lock?"
Worth repeating: Do NOT use TSA locks on your gun case. Your gun should be secured with a lock to which only you have the key.

If you use a TSA lock, every baggage monkey in the airport has free access to your gun and ammunition.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:

Thanks Ed.

Your box is fine.. I also have that one as well.. the box I used yesterday was my kimber box. Also.. be sure NOT TO USE TSA locks on yourt pistol case.. those are not approved (since everyone has keys).

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ed wrote:
Thanks Ed.

Your box is fine.. I also have that one as well.. the box I used yesterday was my kimber box. Also.. be sure NOT TO USE TSA locks on yourt pistol case.. those are not approved (since everyone has keys).
Oops.. I see that was already said now that I scrolled down.. well it can't be said enough! (I put my knife in the same box as my pistols too). P.S. we ALL made it back safely yesterday too :)

mpg9999

imported post

So is all of the GW parkway a National Park, even the part that goes through Old Town? If I'm walking down King street, when I cross Washington street am I in a National Park? Are there any other parts of Old Town that I need to know about?

GWRedDragon

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
So is all of the GW parkway a National Park, even the part that goes through Old Town? If I'm walking down King street, when I cross Washington street am I in a National Park? Are there any other parts of Old Town that I need to know about?
In Old Town it's Washington Street, not the GW Parkway :p

Washington Street is VA-400. State property I believe.

The NPS areas are marked green on this map:

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=gwmp&parkname=George%20Washington%20Memorial%20Parkway

HPmatt

RISE FROM THE DEAD!
Planning to fly in/out of Reagan next month and wanted to know if there are any updates on facts from this thread. :question:
Like - has Obama and DC annexed Reagan airport and/or parts of NOVA as it pertains to gun laws, ownership and possession?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I use my own non-TSA lock. They want it opened they can either a) get me and try to get me to open it or B) cut the lock and let me know that they went through my bag.

Never had them cut the lock or look inside to be the best of my knowledge.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
RISE FROM THE DEAD!
Planning to fly in/out of Reagan next month and wanted to know if there are any updates on facts from this thread. :question:
Like - has Obama and DC annexed Reagan airport and/or parts of NOVA as it pertains to gun laws, ownership and possession?

No.

stay safe.

DarthBrute

I have checked before. I have a lockbox that requires a key and has a cable lock with it as well. I have been asked to open it. Had both magazines fully loaded but not in my sig in the lockbox as well. I wrap the cable around the rails inside the suitcase, insert into the loop, pack my luggage, and then secure the cable to the lockbox, close it, and lock it. Oh and I also slip the holster on the cable to also deter theft.

Red Dawg

Since this was necro'd, I will add my stuff as well. Traveling from Norfolk, and Newport News has gotten easier every trip since about 2010. The airline agents are used to seeing, and handling people with Unloaded guns traveling. HOWEVER, I want to make sure a couple lessons learned get said again. When flying through NJ, NY or phillie. (yes, phillie too) if you have a layover, or an extended stay, do NOT get your bags from the airlines. let them hold it until you fly out. If I am forced to fly thropugh there, I have a carry on bag with some underwear, and toothbrush and "stuff to last a day or so"...I'd rahter lose my gun then my freedom. Just my way of doing biz...I fly in and out on average of once or twice a month, and those are my only changes and issue to what has been previously posted. Denver is almost fun to fly out of, as you see some pretty cool equipment people are flying with...Adn the Springs too. Some of these olympic target guns look almost space invaders like. LOL..

Steeler-gal

I might be flying out of Reagan National and I was thinking about checking in a handgun in my baggage. I've never done that before, so it makes me a little nervous. I read the rules on TSA website, but I was just wondering if there is anything elseI need to watch out for.

Has anyone done it? What is the actual process at check in?

I'm a little late chiming in.
I have traveled and declared a firearm several times. It's VERY easy. My favorite part about the process is that I get to use my own lock on the luggage which means TSA cannot get into my bag once the process is completed. This is the site I use as a reference. I've met him and heard him give talks about this very thing and it is very simple.
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/