Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Backdoor Gun Bill

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    Found some info as to where this rumor may have started:
    http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:S.2099:

    The status of this ill is here:
    http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:s.02099:





    Saw this posted elsewhere and thought I'd bring it up here:

    IT'S HERE; THE BACK DOOR GUN REGISTRATION BILL

    Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009
    1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It may
    require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.

    This bill was introduced on Feb.. 24. This bill will
    become public knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law.
    This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986.
    This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without
    the Senate voting on it at all.

    The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S.
    Senate homepage, http://www.senate.gov/ You can find the
    bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099.

    You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do


  2. #2
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    Thankfully, this is an urban legend.

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/taxreturns.asp

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    mjones wrote:
    Thankfully, this is an urban legend.

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/taxreturns.asp
    Before I blindly trust snopes.com I want to know whos behind them. I refuse to be one of the sheeple. It is a little known fact that popular mechanics is a government run entity that "leaks" information out. Snopes has been blatantly wrong on some things which begs the question: Who "owns" or "bought" them? You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth. I recomend research on your own before trusting snopes.com

    While this just might be an urban legend we should, never-the-less, be vigilant.

    Thanks for pointing this out and I will be researching futher into this issue.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    Found some info as to where this rumor may have started:
    http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:S.2099:

    The status of this ill is here:
    http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:s.02099:



  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth.
    Wow. That's some of the most crack-pot paranoia I've ever seen. Accuse the skeptics of being part of the conspiracy! Brilliant in an insane kind of way. Snopes.com is owned and operated by a couple (literally) of modern Skeptics, something the world needs more of. You can review several articles about them here:

    http://snopes.com/info/articles.asp

    Of course, since this information is published on Snopes.com, they all must be lies to fool us and hide the insidious government conspiracy!!



  6. #6
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    mjones wrote:
    Thankfully, this is an urban legend.

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/taxreturns.asp
    Before I blindly trust snopes.com I want to know whos behind them. I refuse to be one of the sheeple. It is a little known fact that popular mechanics is a government run entity that "leaks" information out. Snopes has been blatantly wrong on some things which begs the question: Who "owns" or "bought" them? You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth. I recomend research on your own before trusting snopes.com

    While this just might be an urban legend we should, never-the-less, be vigilant.

    Thanks for pointing this out and I will be researching futher into this issue.
    Personally I don't blindly trust anything on the internet. Snopes just happened to a 'very recognizable' source of information on this topic amongst the few thousand that popped up during a quick google of the topic.

    10 seconds of time invested in a quick internet search and I put this into the category of 'Crying Wolf' or among the latest 'internet paranoia story'

    Best wishes with your research and welcome to OCDO.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    Since I'm from Utah, I called Senator Hatch's office about 2 minutes after I recieved the e-mail with the SB 2099 info and was quickly informed that this was a hoax. The lady that answered the phone was very polite, she also mentioned that Hatch's office had been flooded with calls from Utah.



    Steve
    Steve


    "Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, , USA
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    Easiest way to find out if a bill or supposed bill that may be true or not is go to that state's site and type in the bill number in the search feature. If the bill is true it comes up if not then it does not plain and simple.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •