• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backdoor Gun Bill

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

Found some info as to where this rumor may have started:
http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:S.2099:

The status of this ill is here:
http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:s.02099:

Saw this posted elsewhere and thought I'd bring it up here:

IT'S HERE; THE BACK DOOR GUN REGISTRATION BILL

Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009
1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It may
require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.

This bill was introduced on Feb.. 24. This bill will
become public knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law.
This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986.
This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without
the Senate voting on it at all.

The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S.
Senate homepage, http://www.senate.gov/ You can find the
bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099.

You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

mjones wrote:
Before I blindly trust snopes.com I want to know whos behind them. I refuse to be one of the sheeple. It is a little known fact that popular mechanics is a government run entity that "leaks" information out. Snopes has been blatantly wrong on some things which begs the question: Who "owns" or "bought" them? You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth. I recomend research on your own before trusting snopes.com

While this just might be an urban legend we should, never-the-less, be vigilant.

Thanks for pointing this out and I will be researching futher into this issue. :)

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth.
Wow. That's some of the most crack-pot paranoia I've ever seen. Accuse the skeptics of being part of the conspiracy! Brilliant in an insane kind of way. Snopes.com is owned and operated by a couple (literally) of modern Skeptics, something the world needs more of. You can review several articles about them here:

http://snopes.com/info/articles.asp

Of course, since this information is published on Snopes.com, they all must be lies to fool us and hide the insidious government conspiracy!! ;)

mjones

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
mjones wrote:
Before I blindly trust snopes.com I want to know whos behind them. I refuse to be one of the sheeple. It is a little known fact that popular mechanics is a government run entity that "leaks" information out. Snopes has been blatantly wrong on some things which begs the question: Who "owns" or "bought" them? You have to be honest and realize that snopes.com can be a powerful tool to falsely debunk and cover the truth. I recomend research on your own before trusting snopes.com

While this just might be an urban legend we should, never-the-less, be vigilant.

Thanks for pointing this out and I will be researching futher into this issue. :)

Personally I don't blindly trust anything on the internet. Snopes just happened to a 'very recognizable' source of information on this topic amongst the few thousand that popped up during a quick google of the topic.

10 seconds of time invested in a quick internet search and I put this into the category of 'Crying Wolf' or among the latest 'internet paranoia story'

Best wishes with your research and welcome to OCDO.

.45acp

imported post

Since I'm from Utah, I called Senator Hatch's office about 2 minutes after I recieved the e-mail with the SB 2099 info and was quickly informed that this was a hoax. The lady that answered the phone was very polite, she also mentioned that Hatch's office had been flooded with calls from Utah.

Steve

KylaGWolf

imported post

Easiest way to find out if a bill or supposed bill that may be true or not is go to that state's site and type in the bill number in the search feature. If the bill is true it comes up if not then it does not plain and simple.