• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Secretary of State

ghostrider

imported post

It's legal, but study and know "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT", and "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE", if you plan to do it. I believe there has already been one person who was told to leave.

It is not listed in the prohibited zones.

autosurgeon

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
It's legal, but study and know "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT", and "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE", if you plan to do it. I believe there has already been one person who was told to leave.

They could ask you to leave but as they are not private property they cannot enforce a trespassing charge against you. That is my interpretation anyway.

Decoligny

imported post

Marquis_of_Angels wrote:
I was wondering if it was legal to oc or cc in a secretary of state. Im assuming since its state funded that I can carry but I want to be completely sure before i go out and do this.

IN a secretary of state? :what:

Ain't no way anyone would catch meIN the current Secretary of State.

0,,5806861,00.jpg

ghostrider

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
ghostrider wrote:

They could ask you to leave but as they are not private property they cannot enforce a trespassing charge against you. That is my interpretation anyway.
That's true.

It all depends on, "which hill you want to die on".

WARCHILD

imported post

Ain't no way anyone would catch meIN the current Secretary of State.

Not un-armed, with the lights out anyway! :p

Duh, forgot to say that I have OC'd in the SOS...building....here in Owosso many times. No complaints or comments.
Like most places....depends on the business/manager.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Marquis_of_Angels wrote:
I was wondering if it was legal to oc or cc in a secretary of state. Im assuming since its state funded that I can carry but I want to be completely sure before i go out and do this.
All state buildings are okay for firearm carry (courts exemption), so you should be good to go.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I OC'd at the Plainfield SOS office in GR last July, but the line was short and I was done in about all of 10 minutes.

I OC'd into the Hudsonville SOS office this past May to ask a quick question about some paperwork on a vehicle, and like the first time, I was out of there in under 10 minutes.

Both times OC, both times nothing said...

Veritas

imported post

A tad bit off the subject, but just curious if anyone has tried to sign their DL with a restrictive endorsement (i.e. "Without Prejudice" and/or "All Rights Reserved")?

I was able to skate it past the clerk on my last renewal... a friend of mine, however, was told he couldn't sign his name that way.

I also noticed, though, that when my new ID came in the mail that the endorsement was severely blurred to the point that it's barely legible.

Edited to Add: I signed my CPL the same way. A friend of mine (same County) did his before mine and he was initially denied his CPL because of the endorsement... but he took it to the Gun Board and won his case. When I did mine, I heard nothing from anyone. I'm assuming it was because he paved the path ahead of me.

Veritas

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Explain...no idea what you're talking about here Ver.
If you know anything about folks who claim "Sovereign Covenant", it will make a little more sense. With my question, I was really just throwing up a flag and seeing if I had any friends out there. My intention is not to derail the conversation too much because it's a LOT to explain; as well as a point of controversy amongst many. It's something I don't discuss with many people because the rabbit hole runs so deep and so many Americans are sheepish. But for the folks here, it's obvious you're wired a little differently than most Americans so you may find interest in exploring it.

There's no real way for me to summarize things without sounding like a total nut. Rather... Google search it and seek it out for yourself. You may also try searching "UCC 1-207" (changed in 2004 to "UCC 1-308"... but you will find information pointing you in the right direction under either search). If, upon your search, you decide it's something you want to explore further... I recommend reading a FANTASTIC book by Marc Stevens called "Adventures in Legal Land"... it really helps recalibrate the traditional method of thinking.

I will caution folks, however, not to claim the Sovereign Covenant with any LEO or court unless you are positive you emphatically understand it. You'll probably get smacked around like a red-headed stepchild if they realize you're a poseur. Most seasoned LEO's and nearly all Judges/Magistrates are aware of what it means when folks claim this covenant. In fact, many LEO's are trained to approach us with "caution" because we are, virtually, deemed radical extremists. In this world, that's one step below bona-fide terrorist. The reality is that we are neither.

My ID has been a point of curiosity amongst some LEO's. Some have claimed they don't know what it means (and they may be right)... while others have completely changed their tone with me. Whether they do so because they believe the covenant (doubtful) or because they fear that I'm a fanatic (based on most LEO training, much more likely) remains to be seen. For the record, while this covenant is often combined with religion, I don't submit to that portion. Whether God created me, or I am simply a product of the Universe... I am still a free man and not a product of any man, or government, of this earth.